1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tv

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daniel~, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
  2. Daniel~

Home page:
  3. Daniel~

Home page:
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Tell you what, I'll buy one for you, one for me. If I only I could find a workable on-line currency converter. What a royal PITA!!

Very roughly speaking 30,000 UK pounds is $45000. Oh, I feel the need for this monitor. Not.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    Depending upon you space and interests, you might be very surprised by what these new visual computers can do for you. I was used to a very nice 61 inch plasma. It produced a very nice picture indeed for a 1080 set.

I was in love with it had zero complaints. But space requirements in my trailer said it had to go.

It cost me well over a thousand bucks.

I bought a Walmart (may God forgive me!) cheapo, I paid $300 for. A 46 inch.

There is no measurement That the Hi-sense doesn't blow my old plasma out of the water.
    The same HiSence as I bought can now be had online for $250.

I'm a shut in and becoming more so every day. I'm a man who at last lives in the forest. But can longer walk in these woods. My activities if we can call them such consist of Online with GOL, Games with my PS4 slim (Big Mistake! Avoid the slim!!)

And watching the news of the day. I usually get around to entertainment around 7 or 8 o'clock.

Just about everything that reaches me does so though my monitor/TV.

This, my sound system, and computer are pretty much my only possessions.

Basically they are my eyes and ears on the world. I always go with the best I can afford, not the most expensive. If one is careful one can duplicate almost all the features of a 5000 dollar set for around 1500 bucks.

At lest I intend to if and when I am able. It should be noted that one can get almost all the features of a 1500 dollar set... Well I'm looking hard at a 65 inch OLED for 1500 It has everything LG has got to give except for size They go up to 86 inches now. One can get a very nice set LED LCD (no OLED) at 75" for around 700 to 800
    bucks.

But at 70 years of age I see this as my last chance to get a first rate display. Personally I'm a bit disappointed in TV manufacturers. It is very hard to see why a 5000 set is worth so much more than a 1500 dollar one.

They seem entirely reluctant to tell you why you should pay more. or how it is better than the cheaper one.
    TV Tech is really blowing up Right now. Fantastic progress from several tech approaches,all are maturing very rapidly.

Any way that's what I'm up to here.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
  13. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thanks for your thoughts about this gnarly subject. If I had my druthers my present Samsung 40" tv will last me for as long as I live. I don't drool over giant tv's, they seem like yet another symptom of conspicuous consumption.

The "organic" in Oleds kinda grabs me, but I don't need the latest. I think liquid crystal displays don't ever burn in, but I'm probably wrong about this. I have an LCD monitor but a LED tv.

On the subject of home entertainment I dropped phone and tv service from my cable co. I'm now paying less than half of my old $192 per month bill. Yay! Don't know if I'm brave enough to cut my 100 MBPS bandwidth down to a mere 10 MBPS.
    I don't need 100 but 10 seems dangerously low for Netflix.
  14. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Is this guy a reviewer or a SALESMAN?
    I read that 8k is silly. How many freakin' bits per pixel can a system provide?
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
    Almost all of the new sets are vastly better at energy consumption.

Of course he's a salesmen. But he's a very well informed salesmen. well suited to guiding a consumer in finding what best suites their needs.
    I found him to be of enormous help in untangling The various approaches that are being used trying for visible perfection.

I only found two things I felt to be objectionable. The first is almost always is, pricing As usual it running about twice what I feel they should be (My feelings being the standard used all over the world for determining these things.) ":O

But something new and rather insidious has arrived. Both Amazon and Google have entrenched themselves
    into the workings of these sets. As things are now one must subscribe to Amazons intrusion.

But Google search is now ingrained into the modern TV.
    One of those SALESMEN warned me of the lengthy forms denoting what maybe gathered on me as far as data farming goes.
    So I'm prepared..

So an old small set that gobbles energy is better than a new large set that conserves energy?

Or is large just inherently evil? Is a big car more conspicuous than a blood diamond?

Have you noticed that a 65 inch TV today uses less raw materials that 20 inch CTR?

Because of this technology Our most brilliant surgeons can stand next to the less experienced
    surgeons a half a world away and be able to see all they need to see to guide both, the new surgeon and their patient to an happy end.

It often seems to me that the less we know the easier it is to judge this world.
    But the harder it is to judge rightly.

I don't travel as my duty does not require travel of me. Almost all that I personally know of the wonders of our world has been conveyed to me by televisions.Or doc and motion pictures conveyed by television.

I could maybe fly to NYC to see the statue of Liberty for the same price, but it would be a long walk home.
    And my affordable travels would be at an end..

So I stay at home and watch the biggest best screen I can afford. But that's on the basis of what's good for me. What about what's good for our world.?

There are few things that I can do do that cost the world less than watching a modern big screen TV.

My laundry, my food preparation, Patti's transport to work all cost the world more.

But those are necessities!
    I would argue that in the modem world an accurate understanding of what's going on is of equal importance.

We all read about the atrocities in Vietnam.We read about the numbers of casualties...

But one televised bit of film of a little girl in flames,running for her life ENDED that war.
    Knowledge is power.

My new TV will further empower me. We learn of our neighbor hoods from our neighbors.

We learn of our world from Televisions.weather the source be the internet, movies or television news
    We still need that screen to get the whole picture.

So no I can't be made to feel badly that I'm going to get a better one. In fact I' very much looking forward to it in unashamed enthusiasm.

The one I'm looking at burns at 135 watts. the trip to NYC burns a lot of jet fuel. I feel I 'm choosing the better path to understanding our world.

To each his own so long as it doesn't cost the rest of us to much.

I know these questions are as important to you as they are to me.
    But we may look at these issues differently.

I stay home. I don't vacation abroad. But I still have an interest in this world. In it's news and i it's arts and sciences.My eyes are not as they once were.Neither are my ears.

So I simply ignore on the whole those who would judge my choices. Or assert that they know my needs better than I do.

Do the world a favor, buy a new TV.":O}
  16. Daniel~

Home page:
    Is 8K silly?
    As there is no current content available in 8K what good is it?
    I don't know but I have read that 8K set does an excellent job of up-scaling 4K to 8K.

Is it needed?

Again I don't know but have read that somewhere around 25K sets will appear to be windows to the human eye. We won't be able to tell if we are looking out a window or watching a 25K.TV

Sorry George but that's exactly what I want!! A window on my world.

I doubt I will live long enough to see one let alone acquire one.

But I'm in the stands cheering them all on! This will be the tech that lets mankind stay home.
  17. Daniel~

Home page:
    It isn't a consumer model. It for pros who are in need of a reference.
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Yes, I grokked that. My attempt at humor fell flat, the insanity of the price wasn't amusing enough. Sorry.
  19. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I'm too much of a Luddite get as much tv as you need and can afford.
  20. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Your enthusiasm for the latest tech serves you. If I don't have to buy another tv I'll be overjoyed.