1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anything new in libre software while I was away?

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by allenskd, Jan 11, 2017.

1. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Had to write libre software (I prefer that to free software so you'll see me using it more) to not just say linux but the whole environment that it's composed of.

So... anything new going on? How's KDE, GNOME, etc faring these days? Any new shiny toys in town? Any info to fill me in is greatly appreciated!

Most "importantly" how's linux gaming faring?
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Not that I know of... I don't use Libre very often. I used to use it on a regular basis for PowerPoint and Word. These days I'm using Google Docs and my Google Drive.

GIMP is expecting a bunch of new effects/filters and CMYK support in 2.9
    PlayOnLinux hasn't changed much at all. In fact developers are working on the new Java PlayOnLinux 5, but I haven't seen anything special yet. As long as they keep providing Wine versions, I'm happy.
    Wine 2.0 is available and has some more DX10/11 features, but nothing huge yet.

A gamer on Reddit posted a video of DOOM 2016 in Wine 2.0

I'm currently playing Shadow of Mordor in Linux and its AMAZING! I'm loving this game! It actually runs well on my GeForce 550 Ti. This is a 5 year old card... unbelievable.
    Next I'm going to play Mad Max as it was ported last year to Linux. Can't wait!

What have you been up to Allen?
  3. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Oh uh I didn't mean libre office!

Here's a snip from GNU on free software:

I'm giving a test drive to fedora 25. I'm somewhat sad and happy at the same time. Sad because KDE have stayed behind, happy because GNOME is becoming more polished than I remember. Tis a weird thing.

As for what I'm up to... I've been away for months. First of all I finished my bachelor's degree now I get to join the millions of students with loan debts! I did a lot of programming, etc etc. That's about it in a nutshell.
  4. booman

Home page:
    Sorry, I still feel new to Open-Source even after using Linux for so many years.

I think I answered your question for the most part... :rolling:
  5. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

No probs! Believe me you aren't the only one. You'll be surprised how many people have been using linux for years but don't know much about FOSS.

Holy panini though, wine 2.0... that took some crazy years to get there.
  6. booman

Home page:
    Yeah, its not "stable" yet, but once it is, I will start testing games like:
    • Just Cause 2
    • Assassin's Creed III