1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wine 3.0 Finally Released

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Jan 18, 2018.

• by booman, Jan 18, 2018 at 4:54 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Wine 3.0 has finally been released for our gaming pleasure.

https://www.winehq.org/announce/3.0

Boasting some new Direct X 10/11 features and multi-thread streaming which should hopefully improve performance in games like Assassin's Creed III and Just Cause 2

• Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Jan 18, 2018.

1. steve723
    Great as I am currently installing STO on another computer.

Latest wine on PLO is 3.0-rc6.

64bit wine download appears to be broken on PLO web site. I will use the 32bit version.
  2. booman
    I have to wait for PlayOnLinux developers to compile it and prepare it for our Wine Manager.
  3. Daniel~
    I'm looking at this in PlayonLinux. Quite a few 3,0 and higher, which of them am I likely to need?
  4. booman
    So far 3.0 is AMAZING!
    I would download 3.0 and then wait for the next "staging" version
  5. Daniel~
    Thanks Big guy! ":O}
  6. booman
    No problem! I try to stay up-to-date with all of the Linux gaming services and features.
    The main place I go for updates is Reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/new/

There are 58K subscribed gamers on this reddit thread. So lots of new games and updates are posted here on a regular basis
  7. steve723
    The wine team has abandoned wine stagging but I believe There is a team at get hub or someplace that will keep it going. It was created a few years ago to help with pipelight and silverlight to get Netflix working in Firefox. That is no longer necessary. The wine devs no longer have as much free time so they are stopping support, but others are picking it up.I don't think the Linux gamming communite will let wine stagging die, as it is too useful.
    booman likes this.
  8. booman
    I didn't realize a Wine developer was developing the "staging" versions.
    I've heard on Reddit that they are slowly implementing some of the "staging" capabilities into regular Wine.

Staging versions have been totally necessary for some games. I always test a game with stable Wine versions first, but when that doesn't work, I go to "staging" versions and many times it has allowed games to run perfectly!
  9. Daniel~
    added reddit to my speed dial
  10. booman