1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's heard Little Richard sing "Shake a Hand"?

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daniel~, Mar 30, 2018.

1. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    Add to my comments above - the musicians of our generation, the singer-songwriters and performers of the late 1960's into the 1970's, are a rare and unique group. The planets were aligned in just the right way for the massive talents of those people to develop.

We are seeing them pass on now; all in their 60's and 70's. But think of the legacy they have left. All these guys and gals are going to be gone soon. The Beatles and the Stones are just the beginning. Some have been lucky to live so long; James Taylor comes to mind. Others not so lucky, like Warren Zevon and Lowell George, who were incredibly talented.

Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Jackson Browne, Eric Clapton, Jimi, Jim Morrison, Joan Armatrading, Joe Jackson, Richie Havens, Syd Barrett, Bob Dylan, all the CSNY boys, Leonard Cohen, Gordon Lightfoot, Van Morrison, Phil Lynott, David Bowie, Ray Davies, David Gilmour, Donovan, Duane and Gregg Allman, Justin Hayward, Glen Campbell, Roberta Flack, Kris Kristofferson, Marvin Gaye, Allen Toussaint, Walter Becker, Donald Fagen, Harry Nilsson, Elton John, Willie Nelson, Tom Petty, Spencer Davis, Leon Russell, Tom Waits, Billy Joel, Don Henley and Glen Frey, John Mayall, Levon Helm, Robbie Robertson, Jimmy Webb, Sly Stone, John Fogerty, Al Green, Jerry Garcia, Rory Gallagher, Pete Townshend, Bruce Springsteen, James Brown, Randy Newman, Lou Reed, Elvis Costello, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Prince, Brian Wilson, Stevie Wonder, Carole King, Jim Croce, Bonnie Raitt, Harry Chapin, Willy DeVille, Frank Zappa, Patti Smith, Ian Anderson, Laura Nyro, Don McLean, Tim Hardin, Emmylou Harris, Andy Powell, John Fogerty, Steve Marriott, Gerry Rafferty, Gary Moore, Richard Thompson, Cat Stevens, Sandy Denny, Jeff Beck, Roger Waters, Michael Stanley...I could go on and on. Add to this list all the names of the blues greats that have passed on, too numerous to mention. We're lucky to still have some of the greats around, like Buddy Guy and Lonnie Brooks.

Just reflect for a minute this *extremely* incomplete list of performers and writers of this era; some already departed. Reflect on the huge body of work these people have left us. It will forever be unequaled, because the planets will never be aligned in the same way again.

And they all will be gone, not long from now. Music will never be the same.
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you ThunderRd, your clarification is a great thing! Dunno why I got the song's history wrong, but I'm not surprised.

You are so right, all of these great songwriters and performers. We are very fortunate to have them in our personal histories. I wonder whether I'm missing the boat on more up to date artists, but nowadays what's called popular music doesn't move me at all. Duh duh, shuh! is so uninspiring. Me an ageist? Soitenly.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  3. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

The "latecomers" that join the classic greats seem to base their at least early work on material that came before their time. But not all and some artists grew beyond music influenced by the sixties and seventies. I'm thinking of Billy Joel in particular. The modern true greats that started by releasing their own "brand" of music are great sonic treats for us all. Can you beat Elvis Costello's first four LP's? Not with a stick. I think that "Watching The Detectives"
    is an all time hit. Perhaps Daniel might also enjoy the lyrics, I usually don't hear them correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2AUoiRT5aHY?rel=0&autoplay=1
    It's possible that you might need to select "hear it on YouTube."

The other versions available on YouTube seem to be a live performance that really misses the nuance of the song. They play it too fast, at that time the band was imbibing way too much white powdery stuff while on tour.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  4. ThunderRd

Home page:
    Joel is 68, Costello 63. Not that late to the party, seeing as Billy's first album was in 1972. And agreed, both are true originals [on my short list above, as well]
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I definitely noticed these two artists in your previous post. (#49)

Time does the flying by like a rocket thang as I age. Almost fifty years? Not possible, but as we used to say long ago in a far off place "There it is."
  6. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    My collection grows as music becomes available at the library...I'm due for another round of ripping and will most certainly check out What I can find of John's. Thanks for the guidance TR!":O}
  7. Daniel~

Home page:
    TR maybe you can help me. There's a song, I think it was Hiatt
    It tells the story of an old married couple.It's getting late and they are making a fire for the night.

She suggests they use ash, but he says no it burns brightly but to fast. So he sets the fire and goes up to bed. She remains and after while puts ash on the fire and dances alone in the shadows and bright.

The listener aches to tell him all he is just throwing away, aches to see things made right between them.

She is ready to love again and he cannot be awakened.
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    Ash, my friend we become one with the world in ash. when our frames become "Like smoke, beyond all repair."
    And our spirits..ah, about our spirits,....

"I choose to let the mystery be."
    Iris De Mint
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    Here's a refreshing lyric, even after many a year.":O

}
  10. ThunderRd

Home page:
    I can. I happen to know that song.

That's a Bill Morrissey song called "Birches".
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
    Why should we seek to escape what was always there for us to do...die?
    If dead is dead, then death cannot harm us for we will be no more and as such cannot be aware, cannot be made to suffer. Cannot hear the laughter of the divine

If death knows continuation then we continue, perhaps in ways we cannot even dream or conceive of.

Whatever comes will come to us from the same hand that gave us life. That gave us Ocean and the lands to walk upon. Some say we will know worlds without end. But if we do not, who will be, to be disappointed?

All we can know is this; We go the way of our fathers, the way of our mothers.
    All our children will follow upon us in making their departures.

This is the way of all things. We come, then we go, each generation partakes of life, then creates new life and then passes from this earthly plain. We were not built to last. We were made to pass on then to pass on to death.

Only the now can penetrate forever and render it in a single day.
    Remember our coast guards motto:

"We have to go out, but we don't have to come back in."

That's the deal.

We have to go out, but we don't have to come back in.

I'm reminded of the movie Gattica.

Two brothers. One genetically enhanced one not.
    The compete by swimming out as far as they dare go. The genetically enhanced brother always loses.,

"Do you know why I always beat you?"

"No. how did you? I was made to be Superior to you in every way."

"I never saved anything for the trip back."

Just a bit terrifying no?

Yet that's what human life asks of each of us, withhold nothing, rather give it all you've got to give
    and save nothing for the return trip....as none of us has a reservation.
    With death, it's always come as you are now.

Yet there is a sense in which none of this is any of our business.
    What comes, comes of it's own volition. It need not be sought nor asked for.

We need only receive with open hearts. Sometimes it seems to me that learning to receive is most of what we are here to do.

Another way to see this might be to ask:

Do you love your life enough to die for it?

If one does not, life can rather quickly become unbearable.

"it is a fearful thing to love that which death can touch."

(From the movie "Godless" (Netflicks))

Yet death reaches out to all that we love
    One standing in ignorance might well think that death has the last word in all things.

But the reality is that death has no say,
    is struck mute
    every time a new life emerges into being to stand, then walk

under the threat of death.

Death can never keep us from going out even if we never return, we can go out to meet the world and let death worry about how we shall return.

"The generations come and they go
    all enjoy life in it's inexhaustible abundance."
    I-Ching
  12. Daniel~

Home page:
    That's why I couldn't find it! LOL

I'm off to tube!
    Thanks!

13. Daniel~

Home page:
    I am most attracted to those songs that play out like a fine novel.
    That drop you into a perspective you might not have ever found on your own.
    This is for me a very fine example of song as story teller.
    So like listen to the story and the way flashes of light illuminate the tale.

This one, I'm not even sure I hear it as music, more of an oral history of love. In any case it was shot to my heart.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  14. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

What a song. Along with its video which adds definition to the lyrics it could be the most perfect I've heard.
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
    Today I went looking for origins.
    Believe it or not this is the first time I listened to Jimmy play this song.

What strikes me is how relaxed his performance is.

And strangely, that I prefer Harris's version.

Also... I'm wondering if the sound track matches the video?
  16. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

No, the soundtrack does not go with Jimi's version of the song. Or at least any version I've ever heard. This is how I remember the original.

Dunno why over time that Youtube dissociates the original from other versions, but they do it.

Daniel Lanois's version is certainly interesting.
  17. Daniel~

Home page:
    Thank you! I looked for over an hour and could not find a suitable replacement.

Boy, Emmylou really put herself into this song, I had no idea how much she added.
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Emmylou with Jimi Hendrix? That's a new concept for me. Please elucidate if you want to. Thanks!
  19. Daniel~

Home page:
    Emmy, covered Hendrix's song

This lady has to be the most changed voice I've ever heard. Three songs.

20. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Amazing, I'm beginning to believe that Jimi's version of "Waterfall" isn't the original. Too lazy to look up the discography. Mr Hendrix's version is what I hear when I think of the song, but maybe I shouldn't. There isn't much connection with Daniel Lanoi's and Emmylou's take on the song and Jimi Hendrix's rendition.

Thanks for posting this, I'm somewhat, correction, simply flabbergasted.