1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by booman, Apr 25, 2013.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    You were right Daerandin!
    I have to turn of Post Processing to remove the graphical artifacts.
    Ambient Occlusion can stay enabled and it improves the graphical quality too.
  2. lukincredible

lukincredible New Member

Is there a place where I can download? Is it a free game like PoE (Path of Exile) or do I have to pay?
  3. booman

Home page:
    Steam, and yes, it costs money. I'm sure you can find it on sale eventually.
  4. aphirst

aphirst New Member

I decided to try out WH40K: Space Marine again, since I just happened to find @booman's guide and YouTube video; and also a recent Platinum report on Wine's AppDB.

Before trying things in POL, I first figured it'd make sense to experiment with vanilla wine, in a fresh 32-bit prefix.

I'm on Arch, and the current version of wine is 3.7 (and for wine-staging, 3.6). I'm on a Thinkpad T430 with the Nvidia chip, but I mainly run on the Intel iGPU, due to nouveau's poor performance.

I made the fresh prefix, installed Steam, installed Space Marine, and started playing. Unfortunately, performance aside, I get the same behaviour as @Daerandin, namely that it works fine until an attack would damage an enemy, at which point the game instantly hard crashes.

I get the same behaviour independent of resolution, and of other graphics settings (though as a rule, there were all turned down). It's also independent of whether I use "wine" or "wine-staging".

Interestingly, I have another, er, "non-kosher" release of Space Marine available to me (which I of course will not go into details about or share), but which does NOT exhibit this crashing. This makes me wonder whether it could be related to this DRM-related bug upstream? https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=32515 In any event, I would like to be able to play using the version I actually own on Steam, since if that were possible it would mean the issue is fixed for everyone. :)

Frustratingly, at the moment of crashing, there appears to be no interesting (or even coincident) output in the terminal, so I'm not entirely sure how to go about debugging this. But any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated!
  5. booman

Home page:
    You aren't the first to get this symptom. Daerandin also had the exact same symptom. So strange because I didn't have any problems like that at all. It literally ran perfectly!
  6. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Perhaps we should attempt to figure out what is similar between the systems where we have the problem. I even tested on my wife's computer, which runs Linux Mint, and there was the exact same problem there.

Perhaps it is related to locale. I was thinking it might be related to locale. I use Norwegian locale on my system, but my wife's system is on the default us english locale. So locale does not seem to be the issue. I will however make an attempt where I run the game with LC_ALL=C just to test.

EDIT: Nope, game still crashes with locale set to C. I also tried switching my location to US via VPN, and I tried disabling all the DLC for the game. Still crashes. I see people reporting the same issue on WineHQ, but no solutions.
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    booman likes this.
  7. booman

Home page:
    How the heck can I run it? I can test again to be sure... I remember a crashing problem initially, but after testing with 2.12-staging all of that went away.
  8. batmanm0b1e

batmanm0b1e Active Member

Well I got sound on Arch Linux and game is beautiful running amazing. I recommend if you are on Arch distro and having problems, switch to manjaro Arch.

WINE 3.7 Playonlinux

These are my settings
    Resolution is 1920x1080 16.9
    HIgh
    High

Please turn off these if you're getting weird glitch effects like I was. You might not need to turn off Ambient Occlusion, but i did
    post-processing;
    Ambient Occlusion

I also need to fix my mouse as both my mouses have HIGH DPI my corsair and razer chroma. The razer mouse didn't use to be so fast but prob need to install software might slow down a bit.
  9. batmanm0b1e

try what i did switch to manjaro Arch and try and try my settings it worked for me!
  10. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    The problem is not related to Arch. I get the exact same problem on both Linux Mint and Debian. Changing to Manjaro will not change anything.

If you had problems on Arch, then that would undoubtedly just be a configuration issue. The biggest difference between Arch and Manjaro is that on Arch you need to configure everything yourself, while on Manjaro most configuration choices have been made for you.

EDIT: Also, it is not called Manjaro Arch, it is just Manjaro.
  11. batmanm0b1e

exactly i know that already :rolling:. But giving manjaro shot is worth a try! It did work for me as i said and running excellent, It also should run in all Ubuntu's. knowing more of the problem would be grateful. Are you able to run it in treminal and see if it gives any errors.
  12. booman

Home page:
    What hardware are you guys using? Lets compare our specs:

Mint 18.3 64-bit
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD Athlon 6-core CPU
    GeForce GTX 1060
    Nvidia 390
    8 GB DDR3 RAM
    120GB SSD (Operating System)
    1TB HD (/Home)