1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing Blu-Rays on yer computational device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cloasters, Apr 3, 2019.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Anyone know if there are Blu-ray players that you can install in your mosheen? DVD's play fine but Blu-ray discs don't work for me.

How up to date must your box be to handle Blu-rays as well as DVD's?

TIA!
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    It may be your player. A DVD player won't get you blueray. If you have a Blue ray player and still have trouble check out the software.

Look George I just stumble though this stuff at best I can, so await the knowledgeable and while you wait screw up as much stuff as you can trying to understand...We are doing back ups these days right? :O}
  3. danrok

danrok Administrator Staff Member

Blu-ray players exist, they're much the same as DVD drives.

If your box plays back HD video online just fine then it should playback Blu-ray just fine.
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Good to learn, thank you Danrok!

Ask for non-Windows Blu-ray players. Good luck. I guess "No Windows" means WINDOWS. Thank you Microslut.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
  5. danrok

Well playback is not easy under Linux.

The problem is DRM and the absence of CODECs.

It is possible to faff around and playback most movies, but it is illegal and not that simple.

A standalone blu-ray player is probably best.
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    Thanks Danrock,,,I think that's what I was trying to say...but maybe not!":O}
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you very much, danrok! If it's illegal I'll skip it. Have a Panasonic Blu-ray/ DVD player that lasted six years, with everyday usage. Bought a back-up Blu/DVD player for just in case maybe three years ago. It's a Samsung and it sucks, it wants to be cleaned after playing ten discs. And has a huge four way switch on the top of it. Very limited utility from its remote. MUST get up and serve it to get it to play.

I like Samsung and have bought many products over the years. But this player bites. Never again!
  8. danrok

Panasonic is cheap but good!
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    This may sound unsympathetic,
    But George, you bought it.

I have said this to myself many times.
    In hopes that next time I'll slow my roll and know what it is I buying into.

We live, but must make an effort to learn.
    I doubt there's anyone, (Except maybe Boo.) That has not betrayed themselves by buying the wrong one.

For a guy as cyclical as you are from time to time, one might hope that you can move past advertising and deceptive practices.

But wait, you say this was three or four yeas ago....Would that be around the time you received some cash from a family estate? If so all is forgiven. Nobody cab receive unexpected cash and maintain normal prudence.

I hope you are more pleased with your next purchase.
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    They use to say, before corporate shut them up to never buy a car made on Monday or Friday.
    Does this help?
  11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

"Received some cash from a family estate." Ho, ho, that's a good one. No blood relative ever gave me any money in their will.
    My best and favorite step mother left me 5K. What a shock that was! Blessings upon her name!
    Her name was Patti, btw.

As I remember it Sony makes the most durable gear. I've only bought Panasonic anything once, luckily it was a real fine player. Never asked to be cleaned once in six years. Amazing.

The Samsung is not a good DVD/Blu player. Guess I'm vacillating between Sony and Panasonic. Blu/DVD players are cheap nowadays but I'd happily spend a bit more for a great player.

I will try to avoid buying Blu-Ray discs. They are indeed a better quality picture but I want my PC's player to be available when light conditions overwhelm my tv. On a sunny morning, for example.

Some black and white movies are offered as Blu-Rays. These can have stunning picture quality.
  12. danrok

13. Daniel~

Home page:
    Want an up to date blue ray player? You want it on the cheap?
    Buy a used PS3. Ebay has them in thousands.
    danrok likes this.
  14. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

15. Daniel~

Home page:
    It use to be that it was pretty hard to find a job that wasn't in one way or another helping to kill the planet.

Going shopping has always been hazardous.. Thoughts that Should haunt the Modern American Shopper

1. Is this really degradable, can it REALLY be thrown away when I'm done?

2. The hands that labored to create this...Were those hands enslaved?

3. How long will it take this product to start actively hurting me and mine.
    (as in the case of plastic Dr Pepper bottles, now done away with in my home.
    (Plastic in our Oceans will out weigh all the fish in all the oceans by 2050.)
    ( I suspect that this a bit of a doctored figure as it does not reveal that this figure relies upon the current rate of fish die off for plastic to gain such supremacy. If the fish were to stop dying on us or if each of them would just eat a little more it would probably take a lot longer....years maybe)

4. How many animals were tortured or killed in the making of this film you spread over your face to beautify the world.Or.. would a dead whale smell as sweetly if you had to adorn your self with his entire scent rather than just the gland he was dying to give you?

5. Did an endangered Animal have that coat before you out bid him for it?

6.Whose cancer will I be promoting in the recycling of this product.

7.In a world full of need, can I do with less?

8. Will the grand kids look back and think, "We'er really glad you had those things, they would have been wasted on us!"

9. How strict a definition was applied when examining our food for crop poisoning?

10. Did the same guys that laid the lead water pipes in Flint lay them in your town...because they did!

This all has to stop or plainly we will be stopped. You choose.
  16. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Indeed we are being stopped. We're just too thick to realize that we have to stop. Which will hasten our end.

There are so many crimes against nature perpetrated by not only us, but especially by those in the wheelhouse of capitalism. They used to call them big wheels.