1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help. get games fullscreen that have low resolution

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by trymeout, Jul 16, 2019.

1. trymeout

trymeout New Member

I have a few games which only support low resolutions such as 1024x768. I want to play these games in fullscreen but not stretched. How does one do this? The games I am having trouble with are...

Sid Meier Pirates
    Hoyle Board Games
    Hoyle Card Games

Thanks in advanced!
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I'm not exactly sure how to play them without the screen stretching the game...
    Those games only play at ratio 3:4 which causes a problem in widescreen monitors.
    You can try enabling the Virtual Desktop in Wine Configuration, but it still might stretch the game or appear windowed.
    There is also WSGF
    If the game is on their list, then install WSGF in your virtual drive and see if it works.
    I've tried it in the past and it didn't work, but that was years ago. Wine has gotten much better these days.

Definitely give Wine 4.0 or newer a try

I just found Flawless Widescreen as well but never tried it
    https://www.flawlesswidescreen.org/
  3. trymeout

trymeout New Member

I will give those a shot. I would prefer a linux solution, not a Windows/Wine solution. If Virtual Desktop in Wine will make my games fullscreen and not windowed I will be happy!
  4. booman

Home page:
    Let me know if any of them work.
    I basically just settle with a stretched screen. At least its fullscreen... I can't stand windowed gaming.
    Unfortunately since these are Windows games, its hard to find a Linux solution that isn't related to Wine or Windows

Some older games can do widescreen resolutions, you just can't select it in-game.
    You may have to find a configuration file and manually enter your preferred screen resolution.
  5. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

If you locate the config.ini file for Sid Meier's Pirates and change Fullscreen = 0 to Fullscreen = 1, you should be able to get fullscreen and unlock higher resolutions. Note, to avoid it looking a bit stretched, the nearest 4:3 resolution is 1440:1080
  6. booman

Home page:
    Unfortunately I have a feeling it will still be stretched at 1440x1080 because widescreen monitors just do that with any 4:3 ratio.

Also, Sid Meier's Pirates has a bunch of cut-scenes which are stuck at 4:3 ratio. So those will stretch or have black bars on the sides.
  7. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

If your video drivers are correct, you'll get black bars on the side - stretching a 4:3 image over 16:9 reflects a configuration problem.

Simple fact is, other than buying an external 4:3 monitor, you're not going to get a perfect fullscreen experience with games from the '90s and early 2000s, with the exception of a limited number of games that were flexible with their UI chrome. One of my favourite games (another Sid Meier classic that will remain nameless) does draw rather well in widescreen, but only with an unofficial patch.
  8. booman

Home page:
    I wish there was an easier way as well...
    I love finding a widescreen mod for some of the older games to make them look even better in widescreen
  9. trymeout

trymeout New Member

I got a new computer and it works now. I think it was the graphics card on my old laptop which was a laptop made in 2010. Or it was because I was using nvidia open source drivers. I am using the proprietary drivers now on a nvidia rtx 2070 and all is good right out of the box with default wine configuration.
  10. booman

Home page:
    Very nice! That is a great card, or at least I imaging it is since I've been using a GTX 1060 and it rocks!
    Glad you go it all working!
    Feel free to post any more questions if you have them.