1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mount & Blade Older Versions

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by eliocpereira, Apr 3, 2020.

1. eliocpereira

eliocpereira New Member

Thank you very much for this guide! I'm actually trying to play an older version, the version 0.903 which you can find here:

https://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?threads/mount-blade-old-versions.30480/

My problem is that after installing it, I try to run it and nothing happens. I suspect that this has something to do with the required DLL's and libraries since the version is quite old. Can you please give it a try? Thank you in advance!
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I downloaded 0.903 and gave it a try in PlayOnLinux
    Didn't work... didn't even give me any errors either

Steps taken:
    • Tested with Wine 5.0 32-bit
    • Tested with Wine 3.21-staging 32-bit
    • Changed to Windows XP from Win7
    • Set Virtual Desktop to 800x600
    Nothing at all. I looked through the game folder and it appears the whole game is there, but for some reason nothing happens???
    eliocpereira likes this.
  3. eliocpereira

eliocpereira New Member

Wow! I was not expecting such a fast reply! Thank you for your effort.

It's very strange indeed. Maybe it has something to do with the Windows version in which wine is based. For example, I once got Windows 7 in my pc, and the version 0.903 run flawlessly. In Windows 8 I had to turn off the antivirus to run the game (I think that Avast Antivirus interpreted it as virus by being too old). After updating to Windows 10 I could no more run this version, even with Windows XP or Windows 7 compatibility on (the same happened with other people). By clicking on the desktop icon, a waiting cursor appeared which after some seconds disappeared, and nothing more happened. I found through the task manager that the process was pushed to the background processes tab when the waiting cursor disappeared. The same exact thing seems to occur in PlayOnLinux. I suspect that the tried wine versions are based on Windows 10. I tried old and new wine versions, although I should admit I haven't got enough experience to know how are they based and which one should be run for the case of old games. There are some other people which I found in the TaleWorlds forum that would like to play this version due to the nostalgia. The training arena that could be played in the demo was the only thing that I was interested in, and unfortunately it was totally changed in the new versions. Maybe this details could help you if you want to give it one more try. Even if they don't help I should thank you. You are doing an amazing work!
  4. booman

Home page:
    No problem.
    It doesn't make any sense that the game will not produce errors. Have you tried other versions yet?
    Maybe that one is corrupted?

I tried to run it with the Wine command prompt hoping to get an error, but nothing. It just crashes silently.
    The only directX 9 dependency it requires seems to be d3dx9_31.dll which is automatically added when installing d3dx9 components in PlayOnLinux

I wonder if it runs in Windows 2000?

upload_2020-4-4_8-35-24.png
    eliocpereira likes this.
  5. booman

Home page:
    I just ran it with the Wine task manager running and it shows a Mount & Blade process, but still nothing

upload_2020-4-4_8-37-59.png
    eliocpereira likes this.
  6. eliocpereira

eliocpereira New Member

I tried the version just after 0.903, which is 0.955. It does work. I also tried an even newer version, the 1.011, which also works. However these versions are totally different from 0.903, and I would not play them. I tried a version older than 0.903, corresponding to 0.751 which is more similar to 0.903, but it didn't open after installation.

It seems that all versions newer than 0.903 do work on PlayOnLinux, but versions older than 0.955 don't work. I reached this same conclusion for the case of installations on Windows 10 (which I also have on my computer besides Ubuntu). It then seems to me, that the problem is intrinsic to the way that wine was built. It was probably based on Windows 10, not allowing this older versions to run on PlayOnLinux.

Thank you for your effort anyway!
  7. eliocpereira

eliocpereira New Member

Also, I don't think that the file is corrupted, since it worked when I had Windows 7 and Windows 8 on my pc, and the download web page didn't change since then.
  8. booman

Home page:
    Hmm that figures huh?
    Did you do anything different with the other versions?
    Its crazy that it doesn't work.... maybe try doing a google search and find another source for the specific version