1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ouch! Does this guy know what he's talking about?

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by cloasters, Jun 8, 2020.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Seems like the guy makes his living by controversy.
    Is he right? Is Linux dying?

Seems pretty unlikely unless Free goes completely out of style.
    As for bugs... I've met a few. A music player that kept crashing, long since made right. But Bugs in which Destro?

Mint has yet to have a disaster, Boxes crashing and everyone crying about lost information.

My personal and so very limited experience say that nothing that came before Mint was ever very stable for very long..

Linux is computational Rock and Roll and as such can never die only transform.":O}
    booman likes this.
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    If you read bugreports for a lot of open source software, there is usually quite a lot of open bugs. But in a lot of the cases where bugs are left unresolved for a long time, it's simply because the developer can't reproduce the bug. A lot of unresolved bugs are edge cases that you are very unlikely to encounter. I didn't watch the whole ting, I actually just skipped through some of the early parts, but from what I could see he is not wrong about the few facts I could see.

However, does Linux suck? That's subjective, and if you ask me, most certainly not! We all know that as Linux users, we are a very VERY small percentage of the population, but that's not a bad thing. A small user base means that malware developers are less interested in writing malware to target Linux. There are negative things about Linux, sure, but that's true for any operating system. Personally I could not be happier with Linux, it suits all my needs and it a joy to use and work with.

Don't worry too much about what other people think, as long as you are happy with your operating system, then that's all that matter.

There are a lot of rock stable distributions out there. Arch, which I use, does not exactly fit under that but that's by design. Mint is certainly quite stable in that it is based on Ubuntu's LTS releases, and for even more stability you have the stable Debian releases which I use on my server. Never had a single issue for years, and the server runs 24/7, so Linux do no suck. In fact, I think Linux is awesome.
    booman likes this.
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

He repeats "Microsoft 79%, Mac 20%, Linux 1.6%" over and over. So what? From what I know and can gather Microsoft still sucks. And Mac's OS becomes worse with every update. Wonder who pays this guy to have opinions?

Me likee Mint lots. It isn't perfect. Yet. It may get there!
  5. Daniel~

Home page:
    I have learned overtime not to worry about software glitzes
    That don't directly effect me. On that bases, Mint is a snow ride on a clam sunny day .
  6. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I agree! Most of Microsoft's success is due to businesses, governments and school that have no other choice... until now!
    Today more and more schools are using Chromebooks and businesses are starting to use Mac for professional use.

Microsoft will always have a hand in the PC market, but its dwindling as everyone is tired of Windows frustrations.

Honestly, thanks to Microsoft I have a long-term career in IT support. There is always something to fix with Microsoft around.
  7. Daniel~

Home page:
    I feel I have to repeat that I'm a desktop user.
    Meaning if my mail and browser work and my music plays and and movies run I'm pretty much a happy camper.

That said I'm probably not much different than the average windows users.

Other than my OS doesn't screw me at every update. and I spend a lot less, as in I spend nothing on my OS. I could buy a new car with What I spent on software in my bad ol days.

Bad enough I have to pay for hardware, why would I want to spend on software...it just does not compute for me.
  8. booman

Home page:
    True, most people who use their phone for email and internet are fine with a standard smartphone.

Movies can be a bit of a pain depending on how you want to watch them.
    • Netflix or Prime - No problem in Linux
    • DVD - No problem with Linux and VLC
    • Rip DVD - Depends on what app you use, then play it in VLC
    Linux can do everything I used Windows for in the past. Even play 90% of my Windows games. I don't miss anything at all... and I don't miss the problems I'm still troubleshooting/researching at work. Windows is still a pain in my butt... at least someone pays me to work on it.
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    There you have it folks!
    What was always missing!
    We just needed someone to pay us to use windows!!

They say Bill just might be rich enough to pay is all!
  10. Daerandin

Home page:
    If you are interested in ripping your DVD or Bluray discs (which is usually required if you want to watch bluray on Linux), then makemkv is amazing software. It lets you rip the actual movie files from the discs in full quality with .mkv format.

http://www.makemkv.com/

You will need to compile it yourself, but there is a PPA for you Ubuntu/Mint users:
    https://launchpad.net/~heyarje/ archive/ubuntu/makemkv-beta
    booman likes this.
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
    I've pretty much sworn off disks. Just to much hassle swapping them in and out and I get movies from subscription services.I'm usually playing two or three games at a time (Ps4). Now that cheap good games are available from Sony PlayStation store
    Disks are just a liability, downloaded games are forever.

But if you want disks, a good ripper is a must at least for now.
  12. Daerandin

Home page:
    For games, I only rely on digital editions as well, especially since GOG actually lets you fully own the games you purchase in that you can download and play them without any client or internet required.

But for movies there is no such option, so I actually still buy physical copies, which can be ripped and then used digitally.
    booman likes this.
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    We do what we must! ":O}
  14. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Bryan Lunduke is very much a free and open source software advocate. His Linux Sucks series goes all the way back to, I think, 2014?

He comes at it from the standpoint of "Here's where I think our shortcomings are" rather than "I'm never using linux and here's why". In fact, at one time he worked for marketing at Suse? I think? He's also had some time working at MS.

He will freely point out that many of the things that he has been complaining about over the years have been resolved, so he finds new things to gripe about. :)
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
    You know we put a whole lot of energy into build a grudge just to have you come along and reveal our folly!

Kicked any puppies lately?

How have you been other than sorely missed by all at GOL.
  16. Gizmo

Home page:
    At least once/day if I can. I'm not picky though; I kick kittens too! I'm also not averse to kicking full-grown dogs or cats, it's just that they tend to get out of the way before I get the chance.

Very busy taking care of the family, with everything going on. Between issues with my wife, and my local brothers and sisters daring Darwin with CoViD, it's an adventure.
  17. Daniel~

Home page:
    I'd love to say that in 6 months this will all be over, but that seems to easy, to light a sentence for the crimes committed against medical science and humanity as a whole

Don't kick dogs and cats, full grown they can fight back!

Everyday I thank God for Governors Insley (sp) and Como.

If N.Y had acted like Texas and Arizona we would have reinfected the world.
    Still thanks to Turmppy we will be seeing lots fewer Republicans at the voting stations in the fall.

Does he not know he is killing off his own party?

This is possibly the scariest question I have ever written.
    Please say how your Sue is fairing in the time of Covid?

How are her kids getting on, how is her poor husband coping with a world gone wrong?
    If you find my questions to difficult to answer, put my questions upon the shelf
    Tomorrow is soon enough, and only you will know when tomorrow has come.

I feel a bit guilty, for me Covid has only meant that I see more of Patti, A pie shop is nowhere to be in the time of sickness.
    The alcoholics living here are of course oblivious. But they do understand me well enough to keep their distance.

6 feet by the way is woefully inadequate!! I maintain and encourage others to maintain 12 feet if there is no sneezing going on.

As this must be a time of great difficulty please don't trouble your self to respond if your not felling up to it. Your friends will wait... We will wait for you to be in better spirits.

My prayers and blessings go your way every day, Small comfort indeed. But the only comfort I have to give you.

Blessings are such ephemeral things. But again they are all I have to give anyone. So they are yours.
  18. Gizmo

Home page:
    As well as can be expected, I suppose. Her treatments are really hurting her; I'm basically a single parent right now because she just isn't physically able to do anything. Fortunately my grand daughter is big enough to basically look after herself with only minimal oversight, and I'm blessed to be able to work from home.

Sneezes can throw material nearly 30 feet, but sneezes aren't what we are protecting against. If that's your goal, then lock yourself in a vault with triple HEPA filtered air, triple distill your water, and irradiate all your food; then you MIGHT be safe. I'm not trying to be flippant here, simply observing that there's realistic, and then there's abject paranoia.

The data I've looked at indicate that normal moisture droplets in normal respiration (which is what we are concerned with here, since that seems to be the primary transmission mechanism), will usually travel 3 feet or less. There is some evidence to suggest that under special circumstances (strong wind or high-speed ventilation fan, for example) they might travel up to 6 feet, hence the 6 foot guidance. Obviously more distance is better, but there are practical limitations. It's also worth noting that the 6 foot guidance also presumes us stupid monkeys are wearing masks.

So, I go out as I must, wear a mask, wash my hands, and when my wife simply HAS to get out (because she's feeling trapped) I make her at least stay in the car. With her treatments, that's the most I'm willing to risk right now.

Appreciate your thoughts; as the great philosopher once noted "This too shall pass". :D

I've been through too much shit in my life not to have learned the value of patience, even if I am somewhat less than perfect in my practice of it. :cool:
    booman likes this.
  19. Daniel~

Home page:
    We must wait for patience. The proof of this lies in our children. Children never have any patience.!

They have yet to go though all the shit in life that teaches us patience.
    We must learn to be patient with ourselves in order to learn anything.

Then we must learn to be patient with process, We must learn to stop always trying to skip ahead but rather take each step as if it were the only step and stay with that step until it stands completed.

But the hardest step is the last.
    We must learn to be patient with the out come, which is never entirely to our liking. Nor is it ever the out come, rather it's part of the out coming.Which is never final.
    For "this to must pass."

No one has patience. Which is why we must be patient.
    Patience isn't something we do, it is some thing we can become.
    But in order to do so we must learn to wait.

Waiting is not the empty hoping for a given outcome. Waiting is part of every outcome. To be patient is to await a suitable time or our undertaking, a time in which we have a chance of success.

For the record, You have oft times in the past shown this forums a remarkable patience. A patience I have almost never had to wait for! ":O}.

I found a brief lecture by Rabbi Freeman of great help in furthering my understanding. So I posted it in our music topic.

I feel it might help the Christian thinker gain a better, truer understanding of "Original Sin."

You might take a look at it if you can find the time.":O}
    http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/...rd-sing-shake-a-hand.2460/page-229#post-28416

May blessings follow you and lift you up.
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  20. booman

Home page:
    I've been using the Terminal to rip DVDs as an ISO
    I know the file size is larger, but it can rip any protected DVD and play in VLC without problems. I love it!

Code:
    dd if=/dev/sr0 of=name_of_movie.iso
    Saves the movie in your home folder