1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Serious CPU core utilization shown in System Monitor

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by cloasters, Apr 17, 2020.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Bizarro Land. Now three cores are running at 100% again. I can choose "Light" where very, very little work is done. Or "Medium" with three cores running. The Choice of how much power isn't slide able. Always something. Thank you very much for your help, Daerandin!
  2. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I've never used F@H myself, so I am not familiar with the configuration. However, I do use BOINC, which is similar software. I just don't run it when I'm using my computer for my daily stuff, then I let it run when I'm leaving my computer idle. Sure it requires me to manually start it, but I prefer that level of control.

I'm sure you should have some option to suspend the F@H processing, and then resume it again when you want to.

As for uninstalling, that all depends on how you installed it. If you installed it with your package manager/software center, then that's the correct way to uninstall it. If you however downloaded it yourself and installed it manually, then it's usually a bit more complicated. If you are happy with the program now, then that's great. But if you want to uninstall, just let me know and I can help you out.
  3. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Look in your main menu. When you find it right click to bring up options, Delete or remove should be one of them/
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    George it looks to me like Daerandin can take you home.
    * Never thought to look in package manager! Thanks Big D! ":O}
    Daerandin
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Daerandin has been very helpful. Thank you Daerandin! I just installed the FAH Control package which then told me a lot.

Right clicking the FAH Control item gives me the option of removing it. Dunno if that would remove the FAH software package too, or not.

I can change the Folding at Home Folding Power option to "Low" priority, which means essentially shutting down the Folding activity. Setting "Folding Power" back to "Medium" means three of four cores working at 100%. It's not a "slider" even though that's what it looks like.

Thank you very much for your help with this, Daerandin and Daniel!
  6. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Seems that Low priority actually leaves one core working at 100%. Hmm.
  7. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    George, the cores running should not affect your other activities on the machine, especially if it is set to medium or low. The folding core is only able to use the unused cycles of your computer. Its process has a 'nice' value of 19, which means it yields to any other process looking for CPU cycles.

To uninstall you can try something like this:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -P fahclient
    I'm not sure if that is the exact package name for Mint, but you can google if it isn't.

I'm sorry I haven't been around much to help lately, I've been stuck in Laos for nearly 2 months with Lee and the kids. We came for a visit to her family and this whole virus thing happened; Daniel and I went to our holiday home, but Lee and Anny got stuck in her mom's village because the government stopped all inter-provincial travel. We've been apart for about 6 weeks now, Daniel and I in Vientiane, and the girls upcountry. Luckily Daniel is here so I'm not too alone! The girls *should* be able to travel after the 10th, but none of us can return to the house in Thailand until they open the borders, which have been closed for a month now. I have a friend looking in on the house each week for mail and bills :)

Strange times we are living in. There has been a 10 pm -5 am curfew in Thailand for several weeks now, and [sadly] a ban on alcohol sales! But not here in Laos, we can buy anything we want, but practically nothing is open in the evenings. Restaurants, bars, etc are all closed until further notice.

Fortunately Laos only has something like 15 cases if the virus in total; I guess they made a good move closing the Thai borders so quickly [Thailand has roughly 3,000 cases].

Anyway, the Internet here is not as good as in Thailand, I have to look into finding a better provider. It also goes off for hours at a time sometimes [I think there's heavier than normal traffic with schools and businesses closed]. My kids are on their summer break from school now, and were supposed to return in the first week of May, but the government has pushed back school opening until *at least* July 1, so they are going to be around the house pretty much constantly until then. They might have to take online classes to make up for lost time and/or study weekends for a month or two after schools actually open.

We haven't decided which house we're going to stay in until the kids return to school. For now, we have to be here with all the travel restrictions in place.

EDIT: as I write this I see that the US has now gone over 1 million cases of the virus; that is 1/3 of the world's 3 million cases. And 200,000+ are now dead from it. I count myself lucky that I'm in a relatively low-risk area.

To everyone: stay healthy and follow the basic rules...
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  8. Daniel~

Home page:
    Thank you for updating and letting us know your in a relatively safe place that sounds like it would be quite nice in better times.

The I Ching speaks of times of upheaval and separation, (War and national tragedies,) which came upon them usually by way of an emperor's death and the scramble for power.
    It's advice is that when things get this messed up, when the social mores of a people are being questioned and new forms of conduct are being recommended and implemented...Stay in the middle. Don't allow one's self to be pushed about by this consideration or that.

Rather one should hold to the great middle. For it is in the middle that nourishment is found.

Alas the ancient Chinese curse is fulfilling itself all over the planet.

"May you live in interesting times."

"And it's hard
    You know it's pretty tough baby
    Living on your own,"
    Stones.

We are in a war without malice. Nature did not hate us as we trashed the planet. As we leveled the topical forests. Nature did not hate us as we sold her children as meat.

But Nature herself is the Great middle way that supports all creatures great and small showing favor to none. For she protects the great middle. From within her womb she brings forth and makes manifest the will of God.

We created Covid when we upset the balance.Nature protects no one. She protects the balance between all creatures that all creatures may thrive.

Human kind will see many things in the coming century, none of it will make sense to us, unless we understand that nature is reasserting her balance.

drought, tornadoes where formally there were none, the death of our oceans, OCEANS!!

We wobbled the top in it's spin. Now it travels here and there looking for what we have destroyed. We have set ourselves against the natural order.

We have made our intentions clear.

Nature is all about unintended consequence. For she has no intentions.

"What need nature of thought or care, when in a single motion she brings the 10,000 things to flourish."

Nature isn't trying to wipe us out.

Nature is simply re establishing her balance. In the eternal process she will let go of some as she creates the new.

We found no place in our hearts for her forest, her vast unfolding of every potential within her limits.

But to protect the balance Nature must limit all things.

That which goes beyond the limits that have been set
    cultivating the extreme will come to nothing, for beyond limitation lies the void. nothingness.

When we level an entire forest things that nature kept in check are loosed upon us.
    Covid is natures way of telling us we have gone past the middle and now stand in need of correction.

When a teacher fails to gain a students attention they will at times resort to shock and awe. This they learned from nature.

Covid is but one of many lessons.

Perhaps the most fundamental lesson is in the offering...

"Get well, or die.

How terrorizing to learn that our future is in our hands.
    Yet this terror brings our only hope
    That we will be given many chances
    That we will not overlook them all.

"Do not pray for an easy life
    Rather
    Pray for the strength to endure a hard life
    For that is what you will receive."

We keep looking for an easy way out when the way out is far from easy.
    Yet the way out will return us to a life men once knew.
    A life of sacrifice.
    The train has left the station, destination unknown.
    Now is the time that ripens into our tomorrow

We should not despair so long as The sacrificial ones labor to save all that can be saved. "Sacrifice alone has the power to help this world."

Not at all sure this post will be of benefit to any. But I need to keep going over this or I lose my way.

Blessings we have
    Blessings we give
    that blessings we will be given.
    That blessing will be received.

This is not rocket science but it can blow us all sky high.

Please say hello to Daniel for me. I still cherish his kind offer to show me his Thailand and get me home safely once again.

Daniel this is YOUR world, but you will have to fight for it. Grow strong in every way. Rejoice in all you have,
    But never forget that all you have is your soul.

Boy I must have gotten out of bed on the preachy side.":O}
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

It's wonderful to hear from ThunderRD! I have been curious to why he has been so quiet for so long. Goofing off in Laos (where the most beautiful of all women are said to live, btw) as if that really matters. Had to throw in a bit of my worldly knowledge--Lord knows I have little of it.

I'm so glad that you are marooned in a place of relative good health! And that you're not poor and therefor in trouble.

Thank you for your advise about Folding at Home! I'm happy with it for now, we will see if Summer has me throttling down because of the increased heat.

I think I would feel supremely uneasy in SE Asia. I did very little damage with my own foolish soldiering, but the same is not true for the hideous Imperialistic monster called my country. And to think that it's even worse now vis a vis the world at large. You were SO smart to escape long ago!

I hope you can gather your family together where you live soon and all remain free of this world changing health threat!
  10. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

We finally have hot weather to deal with here in the Pacific Northwest, so I throttled F@H back to use only one core.
    I hope that life is treating you and yours well recently ThunderRd!

The troglodytes at the helm on our side of the world are sparing no one from their bottomless ill will. It's breathtaking to behold.

Wonder where Katain is located now. What a great man to have in your corner to help fix Linux hassles!