1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uplay internet connection

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by Godzi, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Godzi

Godzi New Member

I was reinstalled Manjaro and starting Uplay in Playonlinux has no internat connection and I can logging in only in offline mode. Previously I found a thread with command to paste in Playonlinux and whit this command Uplay worked fine, but now I cant find this site where was this command.
    Can anyone help to me?
  2. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    What Wine version are you using?

I don't have it installed at the moment, but I do recall being able to use uplay without needing to fiddle around too much, just ensure you use one of the newer wine versions, and preferably wine-staging.

If you are not in a rush I can test it out this weekend to see how to get it running.
  3. Godzi

Godzi New Member

I'm using 5.11-staging
    I can wait for your test
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    You may want to try with ProtonGE (Glorious Egg Roll fork of Proton)
    https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom/releases/tag/5.9-GE-5-ST
    I recently played Assassin's Creed Origins in Steam and it automatically install Uplay and ran it online. I was able to sign in and play Assassin's Creed with no issues.
    Not sure what Steam has done with Proton but it works perfectly with Uplay.

Previously I've had to install both Legacy Uplay and Steam, then run it as Windows XP and play offline. Such a pain!
    Here is the last guide I've posted related to Uplay: http://gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/assassins-creed-iii-guide.2242/

But I recommend trying ProtonGE first and see if it works.
  5. Daerandin

Home page:
    I agree that Steam's Proton is amazing.

My own testing here will actually take more time than expected, I suddenly realized that I have network issues with battle.net as well, but other games work fine so it seems to be an issue with the clients. I may need to roll back to an earlier wine version.

Wine-staging 5.6 was pretty good if I remember correctly, so you may want to try using that.
    booman likes this.
  6. Daerandin

Home page:
    Update: So my network issues were unrelated to wine and had to do with me changing network software. Apparently, the game clients required me to specifically enable MulticastDNS, so I learned something new.

I got Uplay working, could log in and installed Assassins Creed Brotherhood and launched it just to ensure everything works as expected. It didn't require anything on my part. I did install corefonts, but that was mostly out of habit as a lot of client software does not work properly without it.

So in short, you should be able to get it working with this setup:

• New 64-bit virtual drive with Wine-staging 5.15.2
    • install corefonts
    • Then download the uplay installer from their website, and install it in this virtual drive.
    • Make sure the windows version for this virtual drive is set to Windows 7

If you still have issues, it could simply be that you require a few additional libraries on your system (not in wine), in particular (assuming you are on manjaro, packages might have other names on other distributions): nss, lib32-nss, nss-mdns

EDIT:
    Added windows version to the list above.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    booman likes this.
  7. booman

Home page:
    Nice! Glad you had some success with Uplay.
    Thanks for looking into it!
    Can you confirm it is working Godzi?
  8. Godzi

Godzi New Member

Yes, it works. I installed Xubuntu instead Manjaro and it working for the first try.
    Thanks for the help.
    booman likes this.
  9. booman

Home page:
    Dang, sorry you had to switch distros. I've heard of this before. Sometimes different distros handle compatibility different. With Arch and Manjaro you will have to do a bit of research and troubleshooting to figure it out.
    When you want Linux to work out-of-the-box with compatibility, stick with:
    • Ubuntu
    • Mint
    This is the reason I chose Mint. Not because I'm afraid to troubleshoot problems and research, but because I wanted gaming to be as easy (or close to) the Windows experience. Mint is the closest we can get because it has the most legacy-compatible packages, kernel and drivers available.

I migrated from Windows just like a lot of gamers and found Mint to be very similar. Of course there is still a command line when some packages are missing, but the GUI can be very similar as with keyboard shortcuts and menus.

Let us know if you need help with anything else!
  10. Godzi

Godzi New Member

I'ts no problem to change distro, not a big deal.
    Now only problem is the graphic driver. I playing Assassins creed II, and it is laggy. I have Mobility Radeon HD 4650, in the game menu works all good, only if the game is loaded and looking forward is lagging, if looking up or down Ezio run smoothly.
    booman likes this.
  11. booman

Home page:
    Assassin's Creed II is a DirectX 9 game so it should run pretty good in Wine or Proton.
    There is a chance if you are running it in Proton that you will need Vulkan installed. Proton may use the DV9 compatibility that comes with DXVK. This has been known to improve performance in some DirectX 9 games.

Last time I played ACII years ago it ran fine in Wine. You can try Wine staging as well.
  12. Daerandin

Home page:
    Vulkan comes by default in newer drivers, and you probably only need some vulkan loader library installed. I don't know about Ubuntu/Mint, but installing Steam on Arch will automatically pull in the vulkan loader libraries, as long as it is installed with the package manager.
  13. Daerandin

Home page:
    Your GPU is very old, and from my quick search right now, it simply does not support vulkan.

The newer AMDGPU driver does not support your card, so you must either use the open source ATI driver (which I assume is the default on Mint), or switch to the proprietary Catalyst driver, which has been deprecated and is no longer maintained. I honestly have no idea if it would offer any better performance, or if it is even available in Mint repos, but you could look for it in driver manager.