1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pretty certain I'd go with an AMD CPU for a new box.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cloasters, Aug 12, 2021.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I have a grudge against Intel for dragging their feet for years before addressing micro-architecture problems in their processors. For this reason AMD looks good to me. Any quibbles?
    booman likes this.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    AMD has been amazing for me! I don't have the popular Ryzen CPU's but I did buy two of these recently:
    AMD AD9700AGABBOX 7th Generation A10-9700 Quad-Core Processor with Radeon R7 Graphics
    https://www.amazon.com/AMD-A10-9700-Quad-core-Core-Processor/dp/B074B856CD/

It was a recent upgrade to my daughters computers and they are FAST!
    I just upgraded to SSD drives as well... $50.00 a pop and their computers are faster than ever!

We are gaming on them as well without any serious issues in Linux. Except Hellpoint but that is the only game.
    Everything else is running great so far!
  3. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I'm glad that you upgraded your daughters' machines! Happy that you like the new AMD hardware!
  4. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I've had a Ryzen Threadripper for well over a year now, no issues at all with the CPU.

The only problem I encountered was with Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, which simply can't run when you have too many CPU Threads (I have 32), so I just disable half of my threads when I play that game.

I do remember fiddling around with setting CPU affinity specifically for that game, but it's been so long now that I don't remember if it worked or not. In any case, threads can be disabled easily while your system is running, and then enabled again when you want. Although you are highly unlikely to encounter this problem as it is exceedingly rare.

But in case it is of interest, cpu threads can be toggled through the file:

/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu#/online Replace the '#' with the number of the cpu thread.

By default, all threads are enabled, and this file will simply contain a '1'. If you set it to '0' then the thread is disabled. This can be safely toggled at any point.
    booman likes this.
  5. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Wow, the things we do to play a game!

Thanks for the tip Daerandin!

I remember running PlayOnLinux on a single core because some games wouldn't run on Multi-core CPUs
    Code:
    taskset -c 0 playonlinux
    Daerandin likes this.
  6. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I do remember trying out this, I just don't remember if it worked specifically for Blood Dragon. Most likely it did, since I seem to recall setting the Steam launch option for the game.
  7. danrok

danrok Administrator Staff Member

Never used anything but AMD in my personal PC from about 1990 onwards.
    cloasters and Daerandin like this.
  8. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you very much for your kind info about AMD CPU's! I don't really NEED a new machine but you know how it goes. Newer is better! So when I recover from sending my cousins their early inheritance and paying for my oldest friend's Chelation therapy (she needs it desperately) maybe I'll get greedy for newer and better. With AMD, fer sure.

Shazam danrok--since 1990. Proud of you mi amigo!