1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distros you wish to try

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by allenskd, Aug 19, 2014.

1. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I don't consider myself a distrohopper, a person who jumps to different distributions in less than a month. I'm a firm believer that if a distribution works out of the box (no need to deal with wireless drivers, smooth multilib support, etc) then you should stay using that, mostly because most distributions offers the same stuff: the linux kernel, apps you normally need, and healthy array of libraries.

Most of the time I've used Debian or debian-based distributions. It's what I know best so I stick to it... on the other one I've never touched any distributions utilizing RPMs (yum), unless you count my server experiences with centos.

So yea, are there distributions out there that you want to try out? I might give Salix, Funtoo, and other advanced distros out there. Although I'm not fond (never been) of a person that likes to compile everything myself. I can't imagine compiling a whole environment like KDE just to see it take hours and hours...

Right now as we speak I'm downloading Fedora. I think Gizmo said something about how he loved fedora but I'm not sure myself. My interest grew when I saw Korora project in which I imagine is the "Ubuntu" of Fedora.
  2. gameslayer

gameslayer New Member

You should try Linux Mint that's a great stable os that works right out of the box!
    mrdeathjr28 likes this.
  3. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I have :)

I'm gonna say this and hopefully expand on it the next few days but jesus, Fedora 20 installation was amazing. I didn't even have to configure the gtk applications to display as if they were part of oxygen look and feel. My only little problem is that yum keeps running into gpg key problems with some repos I added which is pretty annoying. Partially my fault for not knowing much about yum and how to add those keys. Just to say that I was pretty pleased on how the KDE experience was with Fedora 20. The multilib seems already enabled, not only that; I felt that yum was a saner choice than apt-get, I especially loved that it provided a "yum whatprovides [insert library file]". I feel that it's more cohesive than apt, which is split into apt-file if I want a similar functionality or dpkg -S.

One more thing: I still don't like the partition manager, not sure if it's the right word. I have this uneasy feeling that I might get rid of my /home partition by mistake. I've been spoiled by Debian's installer I guess... it's pretty straightforward to state what you want.

Maybe I'll do a reinstallation and retain my /home to see how it feels.

But yea... I'm almost sold... I feel like I'm betraying Debian :'(

P.S I don't know much about yum but... yea... time for the man to teach me the ways
  4. gameslayer

gameslayer New Member

OH yeah I see hmm that sucks well Debian does have a lot better support in software and stability in it dont betray debian plz haha :p try it out you will be very suprised and happy with it!
  5. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Fedora is awesome! I have been using it on my servers for years now.
    Started with Fedora 8 and now have Fedora 16 on my SuperMicro server. I rarely have instability problems. I admit that my server isn't on all day/night, but when I do use it... everything is great.

If it wasn't for Mint feeling so XPish, I would definitely be using Fedora for my gaming rigs.

Honestly I've never liked any of the partition managers. I always have to double-check and triple-check what I'm doing before I click "next" to start partitioning. They are always so confusing.
    • /
    • swap
    • /home
    • /boot
    Gets a little confusing what each one is for and how much space to partition.

What distros would I like to try?

1. Manjaro - I keep hearing really good things about Manjaro and how its similar to Arch, but is for the less advanced user.
    2. Peppermint - I have used it as live disk and liked what I saw, but never truly gave it a "full run"
  6. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I know what you mean about getting uneasy and double-checking. When I started swapping to other distros for the first time I would spend like 10 minutes double-checking my partition choices haha. I wrote about my Fedora 20 experiences, although the tone of my blog post may sound a little negative I actually liked Fedora, yet I couldn't get 3-4 steam games working even when I installed the dependencies, it also didn't detect direct rendering. It was puzzling and disheartening :(

I'm gonna grab a laptop soon. I've heard Korora is pretty neat so... maybe I'll give it a spin. I mean come on, we all know I'm going to nuke my laptop with GNU/Linux :D
  7. booman

Home page:
    Absolutely! Nuke it Nuke it!

I'm surprised Fedora isn't running games well. I know there are reported problems with 32-bit libraries. They don't provide a multi architecture package, so like you said, you need to install the dependencies yourself.
    Kinda sucks, but thats what Ubuntu is doing now.

When I was trying Fedora for gaming, I used the 32-bit version and didn't have any problems. Shortly afterward, I went to Mint. So never gave it a thorough chance with games.
  8. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I think Fedora runs games as well as any other distributions but... I don't know what was going on with the libraries. I couldn't run a simple game as Mount and Blade: Warband or Monaco, it would open and close and ldd ( a tool that prints shared dependencies ) kept reporting that there were missing libraries even though I installed both the 32/64bit :/

By the way, Manjaro is really nice. I actually wish they dared to do the following: Create a true stable distribution with long term support (maybe a 2-3 year cycle) than being a rolling release distro.
  9. booman

Home page:
    Rolling distribution can break stuff with updates right?
  10. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Whenever I decide to get a new computer, I will probably let my current computer run Debian. I am toying a bit with Debian in my multi-boot setup, and I have to admit that I think it is a very nice and solid system. I also have Slackware installed, but I found it to be a bit too time consuming. If I had more time on my hands, I'd like to use it more.

Oh and speaking of time, I'd like to give Gentoo a proper try. I just fear that between working full time, online studies and games, I'll not really have the time I need to get into it properly.

To answer booman, rolling distributions CAN break stuff. But how high likelihood there is of breakage really depends on how much the distro make use of testing repositories. Arch use vanilla software from upstream sources, and always trying to use the latest stable releases, which also generally mean untested. This makes it likely to contain undiscovered bugs.

Manjaro have their own repositories (does not use Arch repos) and their software is not as recent as Arch, so they are definitely less likely to have any breakage.
    mrdeathjr28 likes this.
  11. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

What Daerandin said. I also join him on his sentiments on Slackware, a rock solid distribution yet it's too time consuming. I think what annoyed me more was enabling multilib, imho it should have been an official support, not a third party one.

I'm glad you are enjoying Debian, Daerandin.
  12. booman

Home page:
    Then Manjaro will be my next distro to try. Sounds like something I would really dig
  13. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    If I had no other responsibilities (studies and work) I'd definitely be taking the time to learn LInuxFromScratch. I don't imagine I would actually want to use something like that as my primary system, but it would be very interesting for the learning experience.
  14. booman

Home page:
    If I had nothing better to do, I would like to learn how to use Arch. Right now it would consume way too much time, but I like the sound of setting up my distro the way I want to set i up.

Otherwise, I'm happy with my current list of distros:
    1. Mint 17
    2. Fedora 16
    3. Ubuntu 14.04
    4. chrUbuntu
    mrdeathjr28 likes this.
  15. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

@booman

I was just recommending a friend to use Mint MATE. It's his first time using linux. :)

It's weird that you are "stuck" with Fedora 16. Is it still being supported?

You already know which distro I'm going to choose...

1. Debian (minimal install then proceed to choose whatever I want)
    2. Linux Mint KDE or MATE
    3. Ubuntu
    4. Fedora 20

By the way I discovered new distributions today...

Bedrock linux
    GoboLinux

And they are not your traditional linux distributions. I like where GoboLinux is going.
    rolandttg likes this.
  16. booman

Home page:
    Not stuck, just staying with 16. No big deal, its mostly offline. I use it as a file server and sometimes a dedicated game server. So it doesn't do much at all.
  17. Aremis

Aremis Member

Elementary OS is a simple os that has a dock, app store of it's own that really is just a web search, and the EDeb package installer. The only fricking thing that keeps me from using it is that it can't be put on a USB and be made to boot. I want it on my netbook because I think it would work best on it as an OS, but I decided I would build ARCH up instead for that little project.

I can say that I am a distro hopper though. In one week I had been bouncing back and forth between OpenSUSE, arch, slackware, windows 7, windows 8, Fedora, Netrunner, and Bodhi because I wanted to find what worked best on my Lenovo B575 (Arch was the winner BTW but I went back to ubuntu because I had backups for it only). Daily I did about 6 installs and constant benchmarks from graphics to IOPS to scans to ram tests to disk fragmentation fixes to segfaults to kernal panics. EVerything I could thin of to break it, overheat the laptop, anything. Windows actually broke the most with ubuntu coming in after that. I guess I could say fedora was the winner but I never got it to run in the first place. I'm not sure that even counts.

I would also like to try straight up Unix, like old arse 7-inch floppy / cobol based / punch card based / fortran dependant / forth based unix. The kind that ran with 4-bit vacuum tube processors that sat in barns on some college campus. I think that would be awesome.

And BSD I guess. I mean the hubub was BSD until slackware shook it's butt and every male dog within the vicinity decided to lay waste on it, more or less. Might as well see what was up.

Just for note I don't just get the newest version. I go from version one up. Ubuntu 3 was my fav of the ubuntu line tbh. Popups came when something broke. It was great.

Oh and freeDOS....... Because why not.
  18. booman

Home page:
    I wanted to add one more...
    I would like to try SteamOS
    It appears to be a solid gaming distro since Steam has optimized it to play games, might as well try it.
    If I can run PlayOnLinux then all my gaming needs are there!
  19. Aremis

Aremis Member

I'm meh about it. SteamOS will be better when they make it applicable to not just one type of computer.
  20. booman

Home page:
    I thought since its Debian based, it will run on any PC just as Ubuntu and Mint will.
    I've read that they bundle the 32-bit libraries as well.
    It just might be the gaming distro I need.
    Of course I'll still use Mint for my test system and other uses.
    But just for games, I wonder if SteamOS will do the job?