1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fallout 3 Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jun 28, 2013.

• by booman, Jun 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Fallout 3 is an immersive Post Apocalyptic Role Playing Game where humanity struggles to survive in a radioactive, mutated wasteland of the United States. Following suite with Bethseda's previous Elder Scrolls titles, they explore a Sci-Fi genre and upgrade the same engine used in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion while retaining our favorite Role Playing aspects to keep us playing for 100's of hours.

Naturally I wanted to see if Fallout 3 would run in Linux. Follow my guide and lets see if it will run for you as well...

fallout101.png

Follow my step-by-step guide on installing, configuring and optimizing Fallout 3 in Linux with PlayOnLinux.

Note: This guide applies to the Retail version of Fallout 3. Other versions may require additional steps.

Tips & Specs:

To learn more about PlayOnLinux and Wine configuration, see the online manual: PlayOnLinux Explained

Mint 16 32-bit
    PlayOnLinux: 4.2.2
    Wine: 1.7.15

Installing Wine

Click Tools
    Select "Manage Wine Versions"
    wine01.png

Look for the Wine Version: 1.7.15
    Note: Try using stable Wine 1.8 and 1.8-staging

Select it
    Click the arrow pointing to the right
    wine02.png

Click Next

Downloading Wine
    wine04.png

Extracting

Downloading Gecko
    wine05.png

Installed
    wine06.png

Also try newer Wine 1.7.28 for better results

Wine 1.7.15 is installed and you can close this window

PlayOnLinux Setup

Launch PlayOnLinux
    click Install
    fallout01.png

Click "Install a non-listed program"
    fallout02.png

Click Next

Select "Install a program in a new virtual drive"
    Click Next
    fallout04.png

Name your virtual drive: fallout3
    Click Next
    fallout05.png

Check all three options:
    • Use another version of Wine
    • Configure Wine
    • Install some libraries

Click Next
    fallout06.png

Select Wine 1.7.15 (or newer 1.7.28)
    Click Next
    fallout07.png

Note: If you are running a 64-bit system, PlayOnLinux will prompt if you want to use a 64-bit or 32-bit virtual drive.
    Always select 32-bit virtual drive.

Configure Wine

Applications Tab
    Windows Verion: Windows 7
    Click Apply
    fallout10.png

Graphics Tab
    Check "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows"
    Check "Emulate a virtual desktop"
    Desktop Size: 1024x768
    Click OK
    fallout12.png

Installing Packages

Check the following packages:
    • POL_Install_corefonts
    • POL_Install_cc580
    • POL_Install_dxfullsetup
    • POL_Install_msvc80
    • POL_Install_quartz
    • POL_Install_vcrun2005

Click Next
    fallout13.png

Installing Fallout 3

Click "Select another file"
    Click Next
    fallout14.png

Click Browse
    fallout15.png

Navigate to your Retail DVD
    Select "Setup.exe"
    Click Open
    fallout16.png

Click Next

Click Next

Check "I accept the terms of the license agreement"
    Click Next

Click Next

Click Install

Installing

Uncheck both options
    Click Finish
    fallout23.png

PlayOnLinux Shortcut

Select "FalloutLauncher.exe"
    Click Next
    fallout24.png

Name your shortcut: Fallout 3
    Click Next
    fallout25.png

Select "I don't want to make another shortcut"
    Click Next
    fallout26.png

Configure PlayOnLinux

Back to PlayOnLinux
    Click Configure
    fallout27.png

General Tab
    Wine Version: 1.7.15
    Note: Click the + to download other versions of Wine. Click the down-arrow to select other versions of Wine
    fallout28.png

Display Tab
    Direct Draw Renderer: opengl
    Video memory size: The amount of memory on your video card
    Offscreen rendering mode: fbo
    fallout29.png

Installing Patch

Go to: Fallout 3 1.7 English Patch
    fallout30.png

Download 1.7 patch
    Save it on your Desktop
    Click Save
    fallout31.png

Back to PlayOnLinux Configure

Miscellaneous Tab
    Click "Run a .exe file in this virtual drive"
    fallout32.png

Navigate to your desktop
    Select "Fallout3_1.7_English_US.exe
    Click Open
    fallout33.png

Click OK
    fallout34.png

Installing
    fallout35.png

Note: When the patch is done the Fallout 3 Launcher will automatically launch

First Launch

Hardware Detect
    fallout36.png

fallout37.png

Click Options
    fallout38.png

Select Aspect Ratio
    fallout39.png

Select Resolution
    Note: Select the same resolution as your Linux desktop for the game to appear full-screen
    Click OK
    fallout40.png

Click Play and the game should crash.

Windows Live dll

Go to: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?xlive
    Click "Download zip-file"
    fallout41.png

Navigate to your desktop
    Click Save
    fallout42.png

Double-click the zip file and open in Archive Manager

Select xlive.dll
    Click Extract
    fallout43.png

Navigate to: /home/username/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/fallout3/drive_c/windows/system32/
    Note: enter your "login" in place of "username"
    Click Extract
    fallout44.png

If it asks to overwrite, click Yes

Launch Fallout 3

Back to PlayOnLinux
    Select Fallout 3
    Click Run

Fallout 3 Launcher
    Click Play
    fallout38.png

Optimization

Click Settings
    fallout47.png

Click Display
    fallout48.png

Use the slider to gain performance in Fallout 3
    Slide right to increase view of objects
    Slide left to decrease view of objects
    fallout49.png

Conclusion:
    Fallout 3 ran pretty smoothly on my GeForce 550 Ti. A few stutters here and there and "touchy" mouse behavior in the dialog boxes. But really good frame rates outside in the streaming world of Fallout. Experiment with newer versions of Wine 1.7.28

IMPORTANT!
    If Fallout 3 crashes every once in a while, its because of the in-game music. Go to the Fallout 3 game folder and rename the music folder. This will disable in-game music, but will also protect your game from crashing.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
    cmdl and mrdeathjr28 like this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jun 28, 2013.

1. booman
    Fallout 3 is running very nicely! I installed it and continued from my save game in about 15 minutes. I am getting that crash you spoke of. So I'm renaming the music folder.
  2. mrdeathjr28
    For disgrace wine not supports in good way mp3 and another formats

For example:

wma is not correctly supported and give crash in ford racing 2 and others

mpeg video sequences also not be good supported and affect various games: blood rayne series, resident evil 4, chaos legion, street racing syndicate, some videos on starwars republic commando and many other games

And this situation occurs with other formats too

:)
  3. booman
    I have been able to play Windows Media files by installing Windows Media Play 9 or 10, but I know that it doesn't cover everything.
    You would think if VLC can play any codec, Wine would be able to do it as well.
  4. dem
    Great ! This time, I could install and start playing the game ! The game is (for now since I'm into the vault) flying, graphics maxed out !

The only issue, I cannot switch to real fullscreen (I'm on ubuntu unity). The unity bars (side dock and top bar) still visible. I don't know if a trick exists.

Thanks for this guide. I found a good way to use these guides : I'm reading the guide on the laptop, and follow the guide on my gaming machine. It's easier and I'm sure to not forget any step.

I'll try to google if a trick exists for real fullscreen. I'll also see if I can reuse my Xbox360 save on the pc version of the game.

EDIT : by the way, I'm using Fallout3 "game of the year edition" french DVD version. Original game of course, bought in the "games for windows LIVE" collection.
  5. booman
    Awesome! I could run on maxed out settings as well. Even the water looks nice too.
    As for fullscreen, did you set the virtual desktop in Wine Configuration?
    Try setting it as 1920x1080 or even try turning it off. As long as the game resolution matches your Linux desktop, it should be fullscreen.
  6. dem
    I solved the fullscreen problem removing the virtual desktop setting on the wine configuration. Now it's working !

The only problem I didn't solved for now is how I could use my xbox controller. For now it doesn't seem to be recognized by the game.
  7. booman
    Perfect! Runs as good as in Windows. Too bad there aren't any shadows... it would look even cooler. I looked up some shadow mods and there are a few, but don't know if it works in Wine or not???

Controllers is a whole other issue. I've messed with them before, but by now, they should be working great... now that SteamOS is out and everything.

I'll have to re-visit it again...
  8. dem
    My xbox controller is working perfectly on native games, and steam games. But it's the first wine game I try to play with the controller, and it seems to not be recognized by the game.

I also have to see if I can reuse my saved game from the xbox360. I checked the files I saved, there is diferent text files...I'll have to make a search. I'm quite far in the game (around 20hours I'd say). But in the worst case, I'll do another character. Bad, wicked evil thief, even nastier than the first character I had. And liar. :D
  9. booman
    I was going to say that too! My Logitech controller worked fine in native games but not in Wine games. I havn't tried it in a while but maybe the newer versions of Wine have increased compatability?
    I'm testing Lego Indiana Jones 2 today, so I'll try my controller again.

Let me know if your save game works...
  10. Christian
    Not sure if anyones still watching this web page, but ill occasionally get to a screen where my windows are slightly distorted but i cant do anything after executing the fallout launcher. I tried fixing some of the errors by replacing the msasn1.dll file and setting it to native which got me to the point where it freezes the screen then i tried to reload the gdi32.dll and set it native which only makes wine crash now. heres the debug. itd be cool if we could figure this out.
    debug file:
    mented information class: ProcessDeviceMap
    fixme:ntdll:NtQueryInformationProcess (process=0xffffffff) Unimplemented information class: ProcessDeviceMap
    fixme:ntdll:NtQueryInformationProcess (process=0xffffffff) Unimplemented information class: ProcessDeviceMap
    fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 4d0008 (device=4d access=0 func=2 method=0)
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x2002c,00007f00),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x300d4,00007f00),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x300c6,00007f03),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x300b8,00007f01),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x300aa,00007f88),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x3009c,00007f86),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x3008e,00007f83),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x30080,00007f82),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x30072,00007f84),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x30064,00007f04),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x30056,00007f02),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x2002c,00007f00),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x80038,00007f00),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x80034,00007f03),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x20032,00007f01),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x20030,00007f88),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x400fe,00007f86),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x400f8,00007f83),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0xa00ec,00007f85),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x800e2,00007f82),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x300de,00007f84),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x300da,00007f04),stub!
    fixme:cursor:SetSystemCursor (0x300d6,00007f02),stub!
    fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation info_class SYSTEM_HANDLE_INFORMATION
    fixme:ntdll:NtQueryObject Unsupported information class 3
    err:rpc:I_RpcGetBuffer no binding
    fixme:msvcp:_Locinfo__Locinfo_ctor_cat_cstr (0x148f048 1 C) semi-stub
    err:eek:le:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
    fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x148f128,0x00000000), stub!
    [09/12/14 16:14:54] - Running wine-1.7.15 winecfg (Working directory : /usr/share/playonlinux/python)
    [09/12/14 18:49:04] - Running wine-1.7.15 winecfg (Working directory : /usr/share/playonlinux/python)
    err:graphics:palette_init cannot find pfnSelectPalette in GDI32
    err:graphics:palette_init cannot find pfnRealizePalette in GDI32
    err:module:attach_process_dlls "comctl32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winecfg.exe" failed, status c0000005
    [09/12/14 18:49:30] - Running wine-1.7.15 FalloutLauncher.exe (Working directory : /home/me/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/fallout3/drive_c/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Fallout 3)
    wine: Call from 0x7bc539d0 to unimplemented function gdi32.dll.__wine_set_display_driver, aborting
    wine: Unimplemented function gdi32.dll.__wine_set_display_driver called at address 0x7bc539d0 (thread 0021), starting debugger...
    wine: Call from 0x7bc539d0 to unimplemented function gdi32.dll.__wine_set_display_driver, aborting
    err:module:DelayLoadFailureHook failed to delay load comctl32.dll.InitCommonControlsEx
    wine: Call from 0x7b83da99 to unimplemented function comctl32.dll.InitCommonControlsEx, aborting
    [09/12/14 18:49:53] - Running wine-1.7.15 wineboot (Working directory : /usr/share/playonlinux/python)
    [09/12/14 18:50:00] - Running wine-1.7.15 FalloutLauncher.exe (Working directory : /home/me/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/fallout3/drive_c/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Fallout 3)
    wine: Unimplemented function gdi32.dll.__wine_set_display_driver called at address 0x7bc539d0 (thread 0021), starting debugger...
    err:module:DelayLoadFailureHook failed to delay load comctl32.dll.InitCommonControlsEx
    wine: Call from 0x7b83da99 to unimplemented function comctl32.dll.InitCommonControlsEx, aborting
    [09/12/14 18:50:02] - Running wine-1.7.15 FalloutLauncher.exe (Working directory : /home/me/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/fallout3/drive_c/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Fallout 3)
    wine: Unimplemented function gdi32.dll.__wine_set_display_driver called at address 0x7bc539d0 (thread 0027), starting debugger...
    [09/12/14 18:50:09] - Running wine-1.7.15 FalloutLauncher.exe (Working directory : /home/me/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/fallout3/drive_c/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Fallout 3)
    err:module:attach_process_dlls "COMCTL32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Bethesda Softworks\\Fallout 3\\FalloutLauncher.exe" failed, status c0000005
    [09/12/14 19:01:16] - Running wine-1.7.15 FalloutLauncher.exe (Working directory : /home/me/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/fallout3/drive_c/Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Fallout 3)
    err:module:attach_process_dlls "COMCTL32.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\Program Files\\Bethesda Softworks\\Fallout 3\\FalloutLauncher.exe" failed, status c0000005
  11. booman
    Yes, I still get notifications on our forum.
    I see those GDI errors. What version of Wine are you using?
    Also it errors GDI32, which probably means you either need Fallout 3 installed in a 32-bit virtual drive with 32-bit Wine or you need some 32-bit libraries in Linux.
  12. dem
    Hi,
    Today I reinstalled the game following the guide, and it didn't worked. So I changed the wine version to 1.7.22, and now the game launches.

Perhaps it's related to my graphic card driver (now 340.46 from ppa xorg edgers), since the guide was working for me a few months ago. I also changed my ubuntu version (now 14.04).

I'll keep you informed (I'm installing wine 1.7.28 last version to see if it works).
  13. booman
    Actually it might be the new crypt32 changes in Wine that allow Games For Windows Live to work in PlayOnLinux.

Yes please report if 1.7.28 works as well. I can update the guide.
  14. dem
    I played the game with wine 1.7.28 during about 2 hours without any problems. Game performance is great, even if I don't think antialiasing is working, even with nvidia settings set in override mode.

On ubuntu 14.04, to obtain fullscreen I desactivate virtual desktop in wine settings.

edit : I made a test to see if graphics would be diferent using nvidia settings override antialiasing mode, I don't see any difference, so I presume it doesn't work. Anyway, the game still really good looking with my gtx650 ti.
  15. booman
    Awesome confirmation! Thanks for trying out the guide
  16. dem
    Bad news, the game started bugging once I leaved the first town of the game. A lot of graphics glitches, and also impossible to use the sight (V key) because every part of the enemy was 0% chance to hit.

I will try another version of wine (since the 1.7.15 crashes the game on my pc). I already tried to disable gsgl, but with no success.
  17. booman
    Not good. Can you post a debug?
    I'm wondering if Wine has broken the game. At least you can launch it even though it requires Games For Windows Live.
  18. dem
    I changed the wine version to 1.7.21 (version used in "platinum" wine appdb fallout 3), and it's working again, so far ! I played about 1hour and half without trouble.
  19. booman
    I knew it! Thats awesome! Love testing with new versions of Wine.
    Now if I can get Bioshock 2 to run without crashing :mad:
    mrdeathjr28 likes this.
  20. Aremis
    I own this on steam, so do I do it the same way through steam?