1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drakensang Online Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Oct 10, 2014.

• by booman, Oct 10, 2014 at 1:52 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Drakensang is free-to-play MMO RPG and only requires a few minutes to setup. The download is literally under 10 Megabytes and the game loads in seconds. If you want to play a quick game with stunning graphics, intense minion skirmishes and cooperative gameplay (PvE & PvP)... Drakensang is the best place to begin!

UPDATE 2024!
    Drakensang Online is now available on Steam and links your steam account directly to the Drakensang servers. No need to login or create a password.

There are a few steps for Drakensang Online to run properly in Steam with Proton!

The Cursor works again! Well at least half of it...
    Change the proton version to Proton Experimental
    Delete the prefix: ~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/2067850
    Restart Steam and it should appear with half of a cursor!

Launch options: -borderless -novideo -high

Mint 21.1 64-bit
    GeForce GTX 1650
    Nvidia 535
    Proton Experimental 8

dsang-0.jpg dsang-1.jpg dsang-2.jpg dsang-3.jpg dsang-4.jpg dsang-5.jpg dsang-6.jpg dsang-7.jpg dsang-8.jpg dsang-9.jpg dsang-10.jpg dsang-11.jpg dsang-12.jpg dsang-13.jpg dsang-14.jpg dsang-15.jpg dsang-16.jpg dsang-17.jpg dsang-18.jpg dsang-19.jpg dsang-20.jpg dsang-21.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2024

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Oct 10, 2014.

1. dem
    Do you pay to obtain usefull stuff, or looting (without too much griding) is enough to progress in the game ?

It's been a while since I played this game.

thanks
  2. booman
    There is a LOT of loot as you kill minions and bosses. They even drop coins as well.

I was able to level up my characters to level 31 & 32 without spending any money at all.
    As a matter of fact, the in-game currency has two forms:
    • copper, silver, gold
    • Anderments
    The store requires payments of each depending on what you want. Anderments will get you a lot of nice equipment, mounts, weapons, powerup, but it will require real money.

You can get a lot of anderments by completing quests...

There is still some "grinding" to level up as well. Some of the towns (hubs) will give you a lot of quests, sometimes too many quests. Some quests are unlimited and can be done over and over to level up.

Once you get to level 29 & 30, there are less quests.
    I recently found that new quests open up depending on your level. So if you level up, new quests appear.

Its a genius business model: Free to play, spend to speed things up.
    I'm really patient, so I've never spent a penny.
  3. Revord
    I'm having some difficulty getting it to work on Ubuntu 14.04. I get an error message that states that it could not find or load the Qt platform plugin "windows". I'm kind of new to Linux, but I attempted to follow the procedure exactly as described. Is there something maybe I missed? I have the log file if you should require. Thank you in advance.
  4. booman
    Thanks for reporting the QT error. I just recently got the exact same error. I'm going to look into it this weekend.
    Really makes me mad because Drakensang always installed and played just fine for me.
    I've been playing it off and on for over a year and never had problems.
  5. booman
    Off the top of my head... try changing Windows version to Windows XP in Wine Configuration
  6. Revord
    That got me further, but the client pulls up with a blank black sceen. But I don't get the qt error. I know it worked just fine on my xp machine just before it went belly up. It should work on 7, but obviously Wine is still a bit finicky lol
  7. booman
    Yeah Windows 7 in Wine always worked for me. I've read that Origin has the same error for Windows 7, so if you set it to Window XP, Origin will not error the QT bug.
    Not sure why Drakensang is doing it. Might be a Wine problem.
    Feel free to download a newer or older version of Wine. Drakensang works in almost all of them.

Can you play any other games in PlayOnLinux?
  8. booman
    I am definitely getting errors when launching Drakensang. Really SUCKS! because I've never had this problem in over a year and a half!

Drakensang thinclient.exe is erroring about QT5 libraries that can't be found. It can't find the qwindows.dll even though its there in the support folder for Drakensang.
    I'll keep researching it...
    Changing Wine to Windows XP removes the error, but the game still won't completely launch.
    I can get to the login window, but updates aren't working and when I login, the game screen never appears.
  9. Daerandin
    Starcraft 2 also had QT errors with the newest Battle.net launcher. It works when settings Windows version to XP and using a more recent Wine version. I just thought I should mention this since it seems to be similar to the issue with Starcraft 2. Try Wine 1.7.22 or newer.
  10. booman
    I read the same things, specially with Hearthstone and Origin.
    Unfortunately XP didn't help. I tried all kinds of Wine versions and still no success.
    I'll keep researching and will probably post on the Drakensang forum to see if anyone else is having this exact same problem.

I have a feeling the devs were using an earlier version of QT and are now using QT5. There are a lot of posts online about the error I'm getting, but it for windows and other GUI uses, not Drakensang related.
  11. booman
    Drakensang is definitely broken! I have tried it over and over with different versions of Wine and I still get the Qt5 error with Win7 and download errors with Win XP.
    For now its a waiting game...
    Once Wine developers have updated Wine to be compatible with Qt5 Drakensang should work again.
    If not, maybe someone will patch a version of Wine to fix it for us.
    I have posted in PlayOnLinux.com forums and the Drakensang forums. So far I have not heard many responses, which is strange because I'm sure 100's of gamers are playing it in Wine and PlayOnLinux.
  12. booman
    The guide was updated and QT5 now runs in PlayOnLinux with Drakensang. Also try a newer version of Wine without the QT5 network patch and it might work fine... I haven't tried myself yet
  13. graywolf.theheathen
    Just wanted to mention that out of curiosity I installed this with 1.7.44 and it runs great.
  14. booman
    Thats great! I'm glad Wine finally worked out the QT5 bugs
    Thanks to other clients like Battle.net and Steam of course.
  15. Vale
    There is no exe file from the website only a dmg i cant install the game:(
  16. Vale
    Sorry it was my own Fail. Because i have Linux the Website was thinking i am a MAC so i used a Browserplugin to say the Website i am a Windows and now i got a exe:)
  17. booman
    Wow, i'm surprised you need a plugin to get the exe
    I've seen this problem before and most sites have a button for "other operating systems" or "Win"

Don't click the big "Download" button at the top
    Go to www.drakensangonline.com
    Click "Play Now"
    Login
    There is a button on the left side "Download Game"
    I clicked it and got a Windows installer exe

drakensang_installer.png
  18. Vale
    Oh okay i think at the german site ther is no section for this:D
  19. booman
    What? No button on the left? That is really strange. What plugin did you use to get the exe?