1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-Plane 10 Global-64bit

Discussion in 'STEAM Powered Linux' started by steve723, Jan 17, 2015.

1. steve723

steve723 Member

80 G of HD but I got it running...
    2015-01-16_00004.jpg
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Wow, very detailed cockpit
    More screens please!
  3. steve723

steve723 Member

When I figure out how to steer. I keep going off the runway and going through the terminal! :D I thought sure the physics engine would generate a crash but it goes right though the terminal. I only got airborne when the plane left the airport and hit the highways guard rail. It hit the guard rail and jumped in the air. I just fly around in circles because I still can't steer! I will read the manual but its really big and I just started a new game of Civilization V so it will be a few days.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    No problem
    Sounds like a pretty difficult game
  5. steve723

steve723 Member

It's a simulator. They have another version that the FAA approved for use by student pilots. That probably works in a simulator that is designed for real pilots. This version has a a message at the beginning that has an email address to report anyone using this version to get a pilots license. I bet the FAA required that to protect the public.
  6. steve723

steve723 Member

7. Dutchmo

Dutchmo New Member

Steering airplanes (on the ground) is done thru rudder pedals. What i sometimes do is couple the "twist" axis on my joystick to the rudders. That will at least get you into the air.

I can't remember if collision detection can be turned on, but there are a number of different realism settings that can be turned on. Such as instrument failure, blacking out or structural failure from hi-g, etc.

X-plane is not really a game but some people join "virtual airlines" where they perform jobs as pilots. There was also an "Ultimate glacial pilot" package created, with scenery and missions.

Another cool feature is that x-plane can output live data, and there are some mobile apps that can read it. So for example, you can have a mobile map or an instrument cluster running on your tablet.
  8. steve723

steve723 Member

Still can't steer! This is a Cessna 172. 2015-01-27_00001.jpg
  9. steve723

steve723 Member

I figured out to get the AI to fly the plane and change the view... I still can't steer! :D I would add more pictures but I don't want to risk using too much space on uploads. I think its 3,000 feet. I have flown as a passenger in real life and that scenery looks right for being at 3K feet. The graphics are not exact to real life but that would cost a lot more probably.

Attached Files:

10. steve723

steve723 Member

Found forward view with nothing. I can see forward without the controls blocking the view. Looks like were going over the mountains. Probably the Cascades.

Attached Files:

11. Dutchmo

Dutchmo New Member

Are you having trouble steering on the ground or in the air (or both)? Steering in the air is mainly done with ailerons (banking).
    Steering on the ground is rudder pedals. But when you set up the controls, you have to calibrate the center. Otherwise you will always be going to one side.

Cool pictures! You can probably find an airport near you and then download a more detailed version. Some of the default versions of airports in xplane are kindof generic.
  12. steve723

steve723 Member

It uses a procedural generator to generate standard buildings and roads. There a probably just a few iconic buildings around most airports. Some people that live in an area make CC that you can download for free. Too bad they haven't add the Steam Workshop support yet. It would make adding mods easier. Some of their DLC isn’t quit right so you need to search for CC to fix it.

I am one of the worst spellers on the planet Earth! I must have had at least 30% spelling errors in that short paragraph. Spell check to the rescue. :D