1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Battlefield 2 & Patches Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jun 28, 2013.

• by booman, Jun 28, 2013 at 6:38 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Since many of us can't afford the $60 price tag of Battlefield 4, but we can still try Battlefield 2 in Linux for almost nothing. Specially if you already own it.

I will walk you through this Step-by-Step guide on how to install and configure Battlefield 2 in order to run it with the optimum settings like you could in Windows.

battlefield93.png

battlefield81.png

Tips & Specs:

To learn more about PlayOnLinux and Wine configuration, see the online manual: PlayOnLinux Explained

Mint 17 64-bit
    PlayOnLinux: 4.2.5
    Wine: 1.7.31

Wine Installation

Click Tools
    Select "Manage Wine Versions"
    wine01.png

Look for the Wine Version: 1.7.31
    Note: Try using stable Wine 1.8 and 1.8-staging

Select it
    Click the arrow pointing to the right
    wine02.png

Click Next

Downloading Wine
    wine04.png

Extracting

Downloading Gecko
    wine05.png

Installed
    wine06.png

Wine 1.7.31 is installed and you can close this window

Initial Setup

If you have the retail edition with 5 CD ROMs, each disk needs to be copied to a folder on the desktop.
    When asked to over-write a file, just click Skip.
    This way we can install the entired game right from the desktop

PlayOnLinux Setup

Launch PlayOnLinux
    click Install
    battlefield01.png

Click "Install a non-listed program"
    battlefield02.png

Click Next

Select "Install a program in a new vritual drive"
    Click Next
    battlefield04.png

Name the virtual drive: battlefield2
    Click Next
    battlefield05.png

Check all three options:
    • Use another version of Wine
    • Configure wine
    • Install some libraries
    Click Next
    battlefield06.png

Select Wine 1.7.31
    Click Next
    battlefield07.png

Select "32 bits windows installation"
    Click Next
    battlefield08.png

Wine Configuration

Applications Tab
    Windows Version: Windows 7
    Click Apply
    battlefield09.png

Graphics Tab
    Check "Automatically capture the mouse in full-screen windows"
    Check "Emulate a virtual drive"
    Desktop size: 1024x768
    Click OK
    battlefield10.png

Installing Packages (Components, DLL's, Libraries)

Check the following:
    • POL_Install_corefonts
    • POL_Install_d3dx9
    • POL_Install_tahoma

Click Next
    battlefield11.png

Note: All packages will automatically download and install

Installing Battlefield 2

Click Browse
    battlefield12.png

Navigate to your desktop where you copied all of the CD ROM files
    Select "Setup.exe"
    Click Open
    battlefield13.png

Click Next again

Click OK

Warning "this game has only been tested in WinXP(32bit)"
    Click OK

Click Next

Enter Key for Battlefield 2
    Click Next

Enter Key for Battlefield 2: Special Forces
    Click Next

Click Next

Click Next

Click Next

Select "I accept the terms..."
    Click Next

Select "I accept the terms..." again
    Click Next again

Click Install

BattleCommo
    Click Save settings

Program Error
    You might get an error with the BattleCommo
    Just Click "Close"
    battlefield28.png

Check "No, install GameSpy Arcade later"
    Click Next
    battlefield29.png

Click "Register Later"
    battlefield30.png

Uncheck "View the README file"
    Uncheck "Create desktop shortcuts"
    Click Finish
    battlefield31.png

PlayOnLinux Shortcut

Select "BF2.exe"
    Click Next
    battlefield32.png

Name your shortcut: Battlefield 2
    Click Next
    battlefield33.png

Click Next again...

PlayOnLinux Configure

Back to PlayOnLinux
    Select Battlefield 2
    Click Configure
    battlefield34.png

General Tab
    Wine verions: 1.7.31
    battlefield36.png

Note: Click the + to download other versions of wine. Click the down-arrow to select other versions of Wine.

Important
    At this point, Battlefield 2 is ready to play, but you will need to keep the Play Disk in the drive. If you patch up the game you not only get a CD ROM free game, but you also get the rest of the expansion packs.

Battlefield 2 1.41 patch

Download the 1.41 patch and save to your desktop

Miscellaneous Tab
    Click "Run a .exe file in this virtual drive"
    battlefield37.png

Navigate to you Desktop
    Select "BF2_Patch_1.41.exe"
    Click Open
    battlefield38.png

Select Language
    Click Next

Click Next

Click Install

Installation Complete
    Click OK

Click Finish

Battlefield 2 1.5 patch

Download the 1.5 patch and save to your Desktop

Miscellaneous Tab
    Click "Run a .exe file in this virtual drive"
    battlefield37.png

Navigate to you Desktop
    Select "BF2_Patch_1.5.exe"
    Click Open
    battlefield46.png

Select Language
    Click Next

Click Next

Click Install

Installation Complete
    Click Finish

Launching Battlefield 2

Select Battlefield 2
    Click Run
    battlefield51.png

Note: Click debug to see errors and bugs

Please be patient, it may take up to 3 minutes for the EA logo to appear.
    It isn't crashing, but certainly taking a long time to launch.

Optimization

Click Options
    Click Video

Select a resolution to match your Linux desktop

Note: The game will play fullscreen when you set the resolution to match the Linux desktop resollution. If you change the Linux desktop resolution later, Battlefield 2 will crash. You will need to set the resolution in the Video.con located in your /home Battlefield 2/Profiles
    If you have folders default, 0001 and 0002, just set the resolution in all three Video.con files.

Select a Quality preset, or adjust settings to your liking...

The game will require a restart after you adjust video settings. When you load a level after making video changes, it will have to optimize shaders and it takes an extra 10 minutes or so.
    This is typical in Windows as well.

I also had problems with resolution crashing the game. The virtual desktop is critical but the resolution of it isn't. Just make sure the game has the proper resolution to match your Linux desktop, if not, follow the previous instructions to manually set the Battlefield 2 resolutions.

Rule of thumb:
    High settings = More detail, lower frame rates
    Low settings = Less detail, higher frame rates

Conclusion:
    The only bugs I experienced is some flickering black spots on the ground and the resolution crash. both are absolutely tolerable because Battlefield 2 runs beautifully. You will no longer be able to play online because the EA servers do not exist, but you can play LAN parties and offline cooperative.

The flickering black shader bug is now fixed!

Download updated shader ".fx" files
    1. Download a new "shaders_client.zip"
    2. Navigate to the mods directory C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\
    3. Rename shaders_client.zip (or delete at your own risk)
    4. Copy new shaders_client.zip to the same directory
    5. Delete the Battlefield 2 cache folder: Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2
    6. Launch Battlefield 2 and run a simple singleplayer level to recompile shaders

Gameplay Video:

Screenshots:
    battlefield80.png

battlefield82.png

battlefield83.png

battlefield84.png

battlefield85.png

battlefield86.png

battlefield87.png

battlefield89.png

battlefield90.png

battlefield91.png

battlefield92.png
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    mrdeathjr28 likes this.

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by booman, Jun 28, 2013.

1. booman
    High Res Screenshots:

bf66.png bf67.png

bf68.png bf69.png

bf70.png bf71.png

bf72.png
  2. Robbie
    Good stuff, I should give it a try.
  3. mrdeathjr28
    good guide as always, and work with lastest wine

:)
  4. booman
    Yes, I'm very impressed with Wine and its ability to run older games like Battlefield 2. I still wonder how the flickering black textures can be fixed? They really look like polygonal grid textures. The flicker black on the ground only.

Otherwise, it plays just like in Windows!
  5. MajorLunaC
    Did you know you can actually play online even now? After the GameSpy shutdown that closed down the official master servers, many MANY alternate master server systems were setup by communities. The one that works really nice for me and others is Battlelog. The same guys that made it are also working on a BF2142 version too, but there are still bugs being worked out in the beta testing. For BF2 online play, you might need a script to keep PunkBuster working right, because it's fidgety on both Windows and Linux in the same way, but I found a way to fix it. See, Linux users have the upper hand over Windows users in a Windows game! You can see the long details at Wine AppDB. (Note: I suggest lowering the timing to 1 second on the script for perfection. You'll understand when you see and use the script.)

The texture problem may be a little complicated. You have to install some of the newer MESA drivers if you have an Integrated Intel video card, and it supports it, as well as a proprietary texture compression library. Search for "black textures" on the WineAppDB page for Battlefield 2, Renegade X, MechWarrior Online, and others.
  6. booman
    No, I had no idea you could still play online, mostly because I have my own LAN server that runs Battlefield 2 (offline) in my Fedora server. So I'm not surprised. I could just host it online instead and others could probably join.

Its nice when developers release dedicated servers for their games!

I had no idea there was a "hack" for punkbuster in Linux. I'll definitely look that up, because there are other games that refuse to work online because of it.

I'll look up those texture fixes as well. I won't be using open source drivers any time soon, but maybe there is a patch for Wine that could help
    Thanks!
  7. booman
    I was able to successfully play offline with a Windows computer.
    I launched a Listenserver with Battlefield 2 in Window$ Vista and connected with Mint 17 using PlayOnLinux. It played just like another Window$ box.
  8. MajorLunaC
  9. booman
    Awesome! Thanks for the information. I don't have Battlefield 2142, otherwise I would definitely do a guide on it.
    They use the same Refractor Engine correct?
  10. MajorLunaC
    I think it's the Refractor 2 Engine, because it seems to have the same engine as Battlefield 2. In fact, there are custom maps that directly use Battlefield 2 resources, destructible bridges, boats and all. The game settings are identical except for a couple of keys.

If you don't have it, I think it would be safe to just make a guide and link it to this BF2 guide, with just the new links. That or copy and paste. Any specific extras are on the Wine AppDB entry. I would prefer that people knew it works than assume it doesn't.
  11. booman
    Agreed, its better that gamers know it DOES work
    One pet-peeve I have with AppDB is the "garbage" reports for games that actually run in Wine. Some require patched versions of Wine, but they run never-the-less
  12. MajorLunaC
    Yeah, but that's why there are volunteer maintainers: To clear up bad reports. Although it's meant as "communicate with the submitter about the report". I got in trouble a while back for deleting someone's report about an error that was also happening in Windows that was solvable (which I mentioned beforehand).

The basic report is intended for out-of-the-box running, with possible winetricks. If a game requires a patched version of wine, I don't bother because it's often unstable and untested, unless it's something minor like a mouse fix.
  13. booman
    IT would be nice if they could archive the "bad reports" because some of them still apply. I prefer a forum format like this so people can research what we did to fix something. In AppDB old comments get deleted and no one can research the steps taken in order to get a game to work.

I've had many comments deleted because they were obsolete... totally understood, but since all of those old versions of WINE are still "out there" someone else may need a tip I posted on how I got a game to work.
    mrdeathjr28 likes this.
  14. booman
  15. Justme488
    Has anyone set up a bf2 server on linux for lan? I set one up for me and my kid to play, but can't get the full maps in coop with bots. I can only get 16 player maps. I can get full map in conquest, but no bots. Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong? Thanks
  16. booman
    Yes, I've only ever played Battlefield 2 on LAN with cooperative maps. Unfortunately Battlefield 2 only offers 16 player maps in co-op since the beginning.
    There is a mod that allows more bots and players: Assault Mod

I haven't tested it in Linux, but have played it in the past in Windows. The mod is also a realism mod where you don't see the characters names (over their head) and you can die really easily from a single shot... depending on where you are hit. Its pretty cool though, huge maps with aircraft carriers, planes, 64 bots and custom maps. There are some graphical changes as well.
  17. Justme488
    Thanks. I will have to check into that. I was hoping I missed a setting somewhere.
  18. booman
    Nope, its still fun playing 16 player maps, specially if you added the last 1.5 patch because there are a few more maps from the expansion packs. Just making sure you have a beefy machine if you are going to run Assault Mod with 64 bots on one map and play the game.
  19. Justme488
    Honestly, i'd be happy with 32 players total. I just want the full map. My other pc that I use for my server is q9400 quad, 8gb ram, gt640 nvidia, sb recon. It's not the fastest, but I figured it would work ok.