1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Store/Community is extremely slow.

Discussion in 'STEAM Powered Linux' started by delsol, Apr 3, 2015.

1. delsol

delsol New Member

I am running the Steam program and all of my games through PlayOnLinux and everything works exceptionally. My games run faster than on Windows and the interface is almost perfect; I can view my games in the Library without slowdowns or malfunctions and the drop down menus are nearly flawless. The only issue that I have is that, when I switch to any tab other than Library, steam runs at incredibly slow speeds. An example is that when Steam first opens and I see the store screen and try to browse games, it takes up to twenty seconds to catch up to the actions which I had preformed. Even when the Store, Community, and profile screens are active, however, the main drop down menus work without any lag.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?
    Any responses would be greatly appreciated and thanks to anyone who replies!
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I have not experienced this problem, but normally I don't browse around, I just go to my library and install a game, then launch it.
    So you are having slowness with the Steam game browser and other GUI items?
    What version of Wine are you using?
  3. delsol

delsol New Member

Right now I am using the default Wine version for Steam with PlayOnLinux which is 1.7.33. I mainly experience lag on specifically the Store and Community pages and that's all, only the GUI items in those windows work with slow speeds. I would just ignore it but I've been meaning to buy some new games; I'll probably end up going to the store page on steampowered.com but I just like to try to get things perfect.

Thank's for the quick reply again! I truly appreciate your awareness of the community :)
  4. booman

Home page:
    No problem
    There are two options, just use the Linux version of Steam (which may count as Linux purchases) or use their website as you mentioned.

Exactly how did you install Steam in PlayOnLinux?
    Did you add any extra packages?
    I normally select:
    • corefonts
    • tahoma
    delsol likes this.
  5. delsol

delsol New Member

What I did was open PlayOnLinux and enter the "Install a Program" screen and search "Steam". I did not add ANY extra packages which in retrospect was probably an unwise decision. I figured this had optimized settings for steam but now that I think about it installing extra packages would have good results so I'll try configuring the "Steam" virtual drive with extra packages.

- MS corefonts came preinstalled on the "Steam" virtual drive.
    - Tahoma fonts installed flawlessly and beneficial changes occurred, though performance was not affected in the Store and Community screens.
    - (Installed more dx versions for games and this helped performance in-game.)

Do you have any suggestions for packages which might help? I assume now that only a few packages were installed automatically with Steam on PlayOnLinux (corefonts, dx9, etc.) Thanks again for your help!
  6. booman

Home page:
    What version of Wine are you using for this new virtual drive?
    Older versions of Wine may not be compatible with QT5 GUI interface.

For just Steam alone, I install corefonts, tahoma and d3dx9. You don't even need d3dx9, but most games do.
    Don't forget to disable dwrite in Arguments:
    -no-dwrite
  7. delsol

delsol New Member

Yeah I've installed all of those libraries, I've just decided to deal with it because it's probably something to do with my hardware haha. I'm using the newest 1.7.40 Wine version for Steam and I guess everything else (except for audio which I'll get into in another thread haha) works perfectly fine. I'm just using the internet version of the Community and Store and it's perfectly fine so y'know whatever man.

Thanks for the replies again haha jeez you're all over the place I really appreciate all the help you're giving me!!
  8. booman

Home page:
    No problem!
    I figure, might as well share what I've learned so others can start playing games in Linux.
    I'm testing Myst III Exile and it runs great.
    There are so many games that run in Linux.
    Love your avatar by the way.... Cowboy Beebop right?
  9. delsol

delsol New Member

Yeah! Good eye friend, it's up there with my favorite shows!
  10. booman

Home page:
    By the way, I was downloading/installing LOTRO and noticed really slow Store buttons/menu's as well.
    For one thing, I think the video's are slowing down Steam in Wine because they auto-play when you go to a game page.
    Also, I think turning off the In-Game Community Overlay is causing some slowness.

I noticed this weekend that the In-Game Community Overlay now works with WINE 1.7.40
    I totally forgot to disable it and still played LOTRO with no problems.
  11. booman

Home page:
    Now I'm having problems with the Steam store. when I click Store nothing appears... it just loads and loads
    I also get a Wine crash pop-up for "steamwebhelper.exe"
    Not sure what that is all about, but I'm researching it..
    Very annoying because I can't install new games, specially Free-To-Play games