1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cap lock no more!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Daniel~, Apr 18, 2017.

?

Do you use or misuse your keyboard

1. Only the caps lock key

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Only the caps lock key

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    After whole big bunches of science related or nearly adjacent type efforts I have at last conquered the caps lock key!

If your like me, you can thank the gods that you probably aren't, but should you be:
    Then you have more times than you can count sent your little pinkie off to invite an "A" into the word you wish to type.Then Invitation sent my fingers; (Both of them accompanied by my thumb)

Go dancing the two step across my keyboard, on and on they dance, until I look up all dreamy eyed and find a heinous mess of reversed caps spewing it's ugliness across my monitor.

I Scream aloud to realize I'll have to erase and do it all over again!!

For the last few weeks I've been in the trows of a keyboard experimentation!!

I'm happy to announce to the world I have Prevailed!!

Simple really. I calculated the number of times I have intentionally used the cap lock key
    ( Almost never or never)

Then thought back over the number of near nervous break downs I've caused myself by unintentionally typing paragraphs in all caps, except where I wanted a cap!

Why is there no Cap lock reverse key, that would undo highlighted all caps text...Why!!

To often in the past I had to yield to despair,to cry a bit and give up on what I was intending to misinform people about. Never again!

The solution was right in front of me! I do belie that it occurred to me the very first time Mis-capping brought me low.

It just seemed to radical a solution. But in the end I came to realized it was the only solution.

Ya get yourself a screw driver then you pop that sucker right off! place it carefully on the floor and stomp that sucker flat and never look back.

Never look back because the cap lock might engage itself without a key then your going to be stuck with a haunted keyboard!

Caution! Not all keyboards are alike removing your cap lock key should only be done if your ready to replace your keyboard should things go wrong...Like popping off the "A" key instead of the cap lock key.
    I've heard that happens sometimes...
    But why would you do something stupid like that!
    I don't know why I even did that!
    If you do that just put it back with a bit of duck tape.

If you are not an advanced keyboard modifier this may not be for you.

I'll be happy to try and answer any questions you might have. But if you have any questions you might be better off not trying this. ":O}
    booman likes this.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Simple and effective! Good job!

I might pop off my F1 button because I use F2 so often that I keep hitting the F1 right next to it. The only thing it ever does is link me to help.
  3. Daniel~

Home page:
    On my keyboard the cap of the key is just a cover, beneath it there a post by which I can still access the cap lock function, but I have to TRY to hit it and that makes a wold of difference!

Now if I could just get my "V" key to register with less than a decree from Heaven!
    (I've come to hate the letter "v" and here I am going down a sentence that inescapably and without a doubt must inevitably contain...
    the Letter "V"!

Go figure!
  4. Daniel~

Home page:
    P.S.
    My F1 key is very well behaved... But I'll keep your creative and innovated solution in mind... I would have never thought of trying an "F1"ectomy

"F" keys were always considered as being above a fray! But why should they be really?! I'm quite sure they aren't covered by the "v" v-ass-ectomy and cap lock patent I've applied for.

Go for we can be be rich together Boo!
  5. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Well done Daniel! The Caps Lock key is the worst accidentally pressed key of all time.
  6. Daniel~

Home page:
    I'm thinking we could modify key boards for a small fee. But it would probably be better for all concerned if they just stop making the Cap Lock key so accessible. They don't have to quit putting it on keyboards, just put someplace out of the way...like on the back of the keyboard and recessed so you need one of those special screw dries to turn it on.
  7. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

Libre Office Writer... Format -> Change Case -> Sentence Case

Easier than beating up a poor, innocent keyboard. Especially if you have to travel and occasionally find yourself confronted with an AZERTY keyboard... :)
  8. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you Kaitain!
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    I've known this keyboard for years and let me tell you it is Very far from being innocent!! The things it has typed!!

Do you really believe that even a fraction of the emotional satisfaction derived from maiming one's enemy, (in a low key manner of course!) An enemy that not even you can deny is guilty of repeated capital crimes!!!
    That this can be match by merely typing a correction that carries with it no punishment! That leaves the cap lock key free to attack again and again?

Besides your way requires that you and your keyboard are getting along. That's just not always the "Case"!

It was my feeling that I would have nearly all the key players at my side!That The board of in Qurty (SP)
    would see that everyone was being harmed by upper case treachery!

As my keyboard is asking that as a show of my good will I cut off my little toe I don't think we will find any sort of agreement in the near future. Not after I bought into it's who needs two thumbs to type argument!

And I've already said that the "A" key removal was a accident!

Besides that looks like a lot of typing just to spare the obscenely conceited and over reaching caps lock key.

I never much liked the whole idea of capitols. Why let them rule over letters to modest to put themselves forward just to get a bit of unwarranted attention.

Damn! I have a cold, really stuffy nose! So don't judge me. ":O}
  10. Kaitain

Kaitain Active Member

Speaking as a speaker of the One True English, you should've removed your "z" key.

That's pronounced "zed," not "zee."

:p
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
    I had to shoot the Zed key for impersonating a Zeki
    But I really must thank you K.! You've given me the rare chance at something I almost never get to do~

Which is to say, lay a quote upon the great unwashed.

"Now we don't speak any English,
    Just Amerasian without tears."

And may I say Thank you Elvis Costello

I would also like to invite K. immigrate to America with his family of course!

That is I would like to but just can't. Kaitain has a son. He would of course have to fore go
    his privileged access to higher Education and health care. He would have to work hard and learn
    to drive on the right side of the sidewalk!

He would be confronted in school with badly misshapen keyboards without a lock Key!

Our females would go mad for him and destroy his integrity at an early age!!
    His honor would be turned to dust!

His general humor might improve a bit.

As things are, let's wait a bit and see if America's flirtation with fascism and cultivated
    stupidity is capable of recognizing a mistake. With Government your going to get a lot of mistakes, mistakes that will take your breath away...like in Syria!

Governments tend to collect the stupid and corrupt, but if a government can still recognize a mistake and turn back in time all need not be lost.

I have created a new word BTW it's "Turumpett". I took my inspiration from British Humor.

A turumpett is a 10 pound fart stuff into as 5 pound suit
    that has real affection for thermal nuclear warfare.

I expect there to be a bit of lead time before people in general warm up to my new word.
    But as Time goes on growing shorter and thinner I expect to see my new word gain real traction
    among the survivors!
  12. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

By golly gee, "Zebra," pronounced without the "zee" noise is proper English. I say it like that more often than not. Too many wildlife tv shows with British pronunciation in the commentary?
  13. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I think Elvis Costello is tip top. "Beyond Belief" alone plus many, many others is a masterpiece, imho.