1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dungeon siege 3 problems

Discussion in 'Crashed!' started by dem, Sep 1, 2014.

1. dem

dem Member

Hi,

I installed Dungeon siege 3 using play on linux. I tried first the automatic embedded POL installer for this game, and then I tried to install it myself (using wine 1.6.2, vcrun2005, and directX9 options as suggested on wine appdb).

The problems (on both versions) is that the intro videos are not working (black screen or flickering), even if I can hear the sound of it, and can skip it with ESC key.

the other problem is that if I change graphics settings, or even simply want to quit the game (from the game menu), it crashes or freeze (and I then have to hard reset the PC).

I'm using ubuntu 14.04, amd HD7850 2gb ddr5 (perfectly supported on linux), and steam dungeon siege 3.

thanks for your help.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Remember to disable the In-Game Community Overlay in Steam. It can definitely cause things to crash.
    Make sure to use the Virtual Desktop setting in Wine Configuration.

Don't forget you don't have to "hard reset", just go to a shell (Ctrl+F2) and use "killall game.exe" by entering the games name found in processes.

Can you post the debug output?
  3. dem

dem Member

thanks

unfortunatly,I cannot post the output, the PC is not at my home now, it was my brother PC I built for him.

But soon, I'll go to his place (or he will bring it back to me), and I'll take a look. The problem is that I remember i removed the community overlay and used the virtual desktop, it didn't help.
  4. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

This problems are common on amd/ati for this reason i change to nvidia with propietary drivers and much games begins to work compared to amd/ati

Nvidia in wine have more performance and compatibility than amd/ati with regular wine (not patched versions, patched version not have wine support)

In my case works (videos too)

In my channel have some videos with various games (around 1440 for now) or on picasa web galleries in my blog (around 5000 images of test since 2009) if you have interested about nvidia compatibility with wine

:)
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  5. dem

dem Member

Hi,

thank you for your answer, the thing is that my brother had a window PC, and made ati choice. Now he migrated on linux, he cannot afford a new 200bucks graphic card ;)

He will have to make choices concerning games, that's all. But with steam and steamOS, things will gonna change sooner or later, anyway. And things already started to change !
  6. mrdeathjr28

Actually with nvidia kepler card* have acceptable performance in most games

Like as Geforce GT720 or like mine Geforce GT630 GK208, my card stay at similar price in newegg for example but Geforce GT630 GK208 have double quantity of shaders than GT720 (192 shaders Geforce GT720 - 384 Shaders Geforce GT630 GK208)

7. dem

dem Member

My brother bought his card quite recently for about 150euros, he's not ready to change it so soon. ;)
  8. dem

dem Member

9. booman

Home page:
    Did you update PlayOnLinux to 4.2.5?
    Maybe this new version won't have this problem with Nvidia drivers
  10. dem

dem Member

Hi,

I'm currently trying to upgrade to v340.32 drivers from xorg edgers PPA; We'll see if it fixes this problem ;)

i'll keep you informed.
  11. booman

Home page:
    I noticed it fixed your Shadowrun problems.
  12. dem

dem Member

Partially. I had to set up the nvidia settings themselves, to override the app settings concerning antialiasing.

It's not very handy if you play diferent games, because you would need to change the nvidia settings before playing another game.

Personaly, I usually play one game at once, so it's not a big deal.
  13. dem

dem Member

Back to the topic,

I will try to reinstall DS3 on my bro's new PC with nvidia gfx card, is there any library or anything I should know before installing it with POL ?

It's the steam version as usual.
  14. booman

Home page:
    Not sure...
    WineHQ's doesn't say much about libraries, but they definitely recommend disabling GLSL
    It seems to depend on your Nvidia drivers.

The typical libraries:
    • corefonts
    • d3dx9 or directx9
    • vcrun2008
    • vcrun2010
    • tahoma
    Sometimes you have to see what outputs in the debug and you will get a better idea of what libraries it needs.
    Or you can look in the game folder for "redist" or "resources"
    They will usually included libraries there, so before you launch see what it has for Windows and install those with PlayOnLinux.

Yeah, WineHQs notes for the demo that it needs vcrun and d3dx9
  15. dem

dem Member

thank you,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I readed that we should avoid to use Directx libraries when we could, because it was heavy on wine performances ?

Thanks for the "redist" tip, it will be usefull. I'll try it tommorow morning. Now I'll play a bit of shadowrun returns for myself. I really enjoy this game, it definitly reminds me a good tabletop game.
  16. booman

Home page:
    I always use d3dx9 or even dxfullsetup.
    It depends on the game and the engine.
    I never allow the game to install direct X because I have already installed it before-hand with PlayOnLinux.
  17. mrdeathjr28

With Dungeon Siege III disabling GLSL is not neccessary because this game use highly SM3.0 shaders

However in other games like as call of duty 1 - 2, return to castle wolfenstein, neverwinter nights 1 and others is needed

18. booman

Home page:
    Thanks for the confirmation MrDeathJr! I noticed you posted a video for Dungeon Siege II on WineHQs
  19. dem

dem Member

Hi,

I reinstalled the game, sadly I have problems, exactly the ones described here :

https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=30711

If I let GLSL enabled, the scenery is correct, but the character is buggy/invisible. If GLSL is disabled, character is correct, but scenery is buggy/black.

I then tried to use debug mode to have the debug log, but it crashed the PC heavily, I had to hard reset it.

So I finally desinstalled dungeon siege 3 and tropico. I reinstalled my brother pc many, many times these 2 last weeks. All my free time has been used for this. ANd even if it's my brother, I don't want to reinstall EVERYTHING another time.

So he will do like me, play almost only native games. ALmost, because I installed startrek online on his PC and it's working really flawlessly.
  20. booman

Home page:
    Dang! Well, in time I'm sure it will work.
    I have a small list of games that refuse to run, mostly because of DRM.

He doesn't have to play mostly native games...
    There are literally 500+ games on GOG that run in Wine and many many more on Steam.