1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ghostbusters Help

Discussion in 'Crashed!' started by giffmemana, Sep 29, 2015.

1. giffmemana

giffmemana Member

I am using Playonlinux and im trying to use winetricks to install a dll in one of my POL prefixes. I do:

WINEPREFIX=/home/user/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/giffmegames/ winetricks

and get

wine cmd.exe /c echo '%ProgramFiles%' returned empty string

How do I fix this ?

I tried reading about it online nothing I did helped. I am also worried I could have messed my permissions up (by watching the tutorials) as I am not an experienced user. Any way to check if they are okay ?
  2. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    The command you are running above, is attempting to access a directory that most likely does not exist on your system. Unless your user account is named "user", then the command is not going to work since that directory does not exist on your system.

When you use PlayOnLinux, you should not use Winetricks, but instead use the "Install components" tab which you can access from the "Configure" window.

If you want to install dll's or other libraries when you initially set up the virtual drive in PlayOnLinux, then make sure that you selected the "Install some libraries" option which is available during the install process.

If you are unfamiliar with Wine, PlayOnLinux, and particularly Linux in general, I would definitely suggest that you are careful with what kind of commands you run. Unless you are sure what the command does, you should ideally not try it until you have learned exactly what it does.

What exactly is it you are trying to run in PlayOnLinux?
  3. giffmemana

giffmemana Member

I typed "user" as to not type the real name - the directory does exist. The libraries I want to install (comctl32) aren't in "Install Some Libraries". I added it in my virtual drive and set it it to native and now my virtual drive won't start and on the debug screen it says I need the library. I added it because I had a problem in a game and saw somewhere that that could fix it.
  4. Daerandin

Home page:
    According to PoL devs, using Winetricks with PoL is unsupported. I have personally not done it myself but instead relied upon the libraries present in PlayOnLinux. You are right, I can't seem to find comctl32 available in PoL. What game is it you are trying to run?
  5. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I have done this before. Try installing the libraries with Winetricks in the default Wine directory. Then go find them and copy/paste them to your PlayOnLinux wineprefix directory.

Unfortunately there are still some libraries that don't come with PlayOnLinux packages, so you have to use Winetricks instead.

I recognize comctl32 but am not sure which package to install in PlayOnLinux.
    What game are you trying to install?
  6. booman

Home page:
    Here are some good notes about installing libraries with Winetricks:
    Winetricks on Ubuntu-snippets

I bet you are trying to install Civilization V huh?
  7. giffmemana

giffmemana Member

I was troubleshooting "Ghostbusters: The video game" as the cutscenes had no dialog audio in them. I saw some place that I should try to add "comctl32" and set it to native in the wine libraries tab. So I did but now my prefix won't start and neither will the configure wine so I can not remove it. If I install the libraries in the default wine prefix how can I know exactly what files have been added?
  8. booman

Home page:
    Did you follow my guide: Ghostbusters Guide
    Ignore the Wine version in the guide, try the newest Wine 1.7.51 or Wine 1.7.51-staging versions.
    You can easily install dotnet20, 30, 35 & 40 but make sure to use the scope_ptrace command:
    Code:
    echo "0"|sudo tee /proc/sys/kernel/yama/ptrace_scope
  9. giffmemana

giffmemana Member

The game itself runs, I have audio when I play but in cutscenes the dialog has no audio. Also I can run the game without installing dotnet (it started at least). I have ran it with dotnet still no audio in cutscenes. I do not believe the scope_ptrace command is the issue here. Did not follow your tutorial as I am installing it from steam. How can I change audio/hardware accerelation in the new wine versions ?

EDIT: Seems the problem occurs on windows machines as well. Still looking for a fix.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  10. booman

Home page:
    Strange, I didn't have any problems with the cutscenes on Mint 13
    I will re-install Ghostbusters this weekend and test with Mint 17 and newer versions of Wine.
    Then I can update my guide. Its been a while so I'm not totally sure if I had a similar problem or not...
  11. booman

Home page:
    Try installing package: dxdiag
  12. giffmemana

giffmemana Member

I did install dxdiag. As said by one forum poster I tried to turn down sound acceleration from there but I did not have the option. I hope I can troubleshoot it, If you got any tips from installing ghostbusters again tell them. Anything I should try that you can think of now ?

EDIT:
    Setting wine to windows 7 fixed the problem (I was with XP) but the audio now is choppy/sounds like theres static.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2015
  13. booman

Home page:
    What? That is really strange! I normally set all of my virtual drives to Windows 7. The only time it changes is when I install any dotnet package, for some reason it automatically resets my Windows version to Windows XP.

Run Ghostbusters with "Debug" and see if there are any Pulseaudio "Buffer Underrun" errors
    If yes, then you have the classic Alsa fighting with Pulseaudio.
  14. booman

Home page:
    Try this to fix the audio:

There is one file you should edit as root, so open a terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/pulse/daemon.conf
    Just scroll to the end of the file. Don't change anything in this file, just add one line at the end:

Code:
    default-fragment-size-msec = 5
    Save the file and exit. Then just type the following command to restart PulseAudio:

Code:
    pulseaudio -k && pulseaudio --start
    Thanks to Daerandin!
  15. giffmemana

giffmemana Member

Yeah already did that. That improved the audio but it still was a little (although a lot better) laggy. What fixed it totally was setting :

default-fragments to 5.

Thank you guys for your help.

EDIT:
    Decided to remove pulseaudio all together and use only ALSA. Wine does not support pulseaudio anyway...
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
  16. Daerandin

Home page:
    Later PulseAudio versions are much better than previous ones. I am not sure what version is used in Ubuntu/Mint and most other distros, but PulseAudio 7.0 is working quite well. I have not had any sound issues of any kind. I know some people don't like PulseAudio much, but it seems to have improved a lot with the latest version.

But for a regular user, the only upside to PulseAudio is the ability to change the output device for audio channels on the fly. Apart from that most users will not really notice any difference.
  17. booman

Home page:
    I've read that Mint will automatically install Pulseaudio at the next update if you remove it.
    I would love to get rid of Pulseaudio, but my system needs to be vanilla for creating guides for the noob experience.
    I do have Mint on a few other machines, maybe I'll remove pulseaudio from those.
  18. booman

Home page:
    Actually after more research, it appears you can't adjust the sound volumes without Pulseaudio installed. The only way is by using alsamixer via the Terminal
  19. giffmemana

giffmemana Member

Yeah you can't, I just set it to maximum and edit the sound from the application itself. Anyway started playing and I noticed the awful mouse acceleration that you can not turn off (I can live with that though). But the other thing I noticed is that when you turn your character (with the mouse) and rotate him several times in one direction there is an end point. You can't turn him anymore, so you have to turn to the different direction and then you can until you reach the limit again. This is extremely bad when you are in combat. I guess this is just from the game. tl;dr you can't rotate forever.
  20. booman

Home page:
    Yes, this happens from time to time. Some games do it like Crysis and Risen, others are fine.
    I make sure to use the Wine Configuration option in Display Tab:
    "Automatically catpure the mouse in full-screen windows"

That usually helps.
    If the mouse is too sensitive like in many games, then turn down the sensitivity.