1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Half-Life 2: Ep1 & Ep2 Co-op

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Mar 29, 2021.

• by booman, Mar 29, 2021 at 5:20 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I previously posted a video and some pics on Half-Life 2 co-op using the mod Synergy. We continued through Episode 1 and Episode 2. This mod is amazing as you can experience the episodes with a friend or a few friends and save Alyx again and again. Not only that, but Alyx will ride along, fight with us and insurgents as well! There are even some unique scenarios that would never happen playing single-player.... like you can drive a buggy in Episode 2 and your friend can ride along while using the gravity gun and a sticky bomb.

There were a few bugs in Synergy but were not the fault of Linux. Like your character can get stuck between two NCP's who are acting out a scene. Sometimes the hotrod was the only car to drive and the other players had to travel on foot. Sometimes we wouldn't have the gravity gun at all and other times the automated elevators didn't work properly. There were times Alyx wasn't with us and there was a door she needed to open. We would have to just restart the level. There is a great auto-save/checkpoint feature, but sometimes you have to do all the puzzles or wave-based scenario over and over again.

Each episode ran beautifully in Linux and brought back all the nostalgia from playing it years ago. What a beautiful engine!

Specs:
    Mint 20.1 64-bit
    GeForce GTX 1060
    Nvidia 460

hlepone-0.jpg hlepone-1.jpg hlepone-16.jpg hlepone-15.jpg hlepone-13.jpg hlepone-12.jpg halftwo-0.jpg halftwo-1.jpg hleptwo-12.jpg halftwo-2.jpg halftwo-4.jpg halftwo-5.jpg halftwo-7.jpg halftwo-8.jpg halftwo-9.jpg halftwo-10.jpg halftwo-11.jpg halftwo-12.jpg halftwo-13.jpg halftwo-14.jpg halftwo-15.jpg hleptwo-0.jpg hleptwo-1.jpg hleptwo-2.jpg hleptwo-3.jpg
    Daerandin likes this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Daerandin
    I've played this with a cousin, although we've yet to play through all of HL2, and we have not tried the episodes yet. But I do agree, playing this game co-op is an amazing experience.
    booman likes this.
  2. booman
    I've played Synergy a few years ago with just HL2 but online its difficult because if there are too many players you get left behind. Playing with only two of us was ideal because there is NCP help and clever ways to solve puzzles together!
    I love it! More games need to be co-op just like this!

We are also playing Slime Rancher with a co-op mod and it is a LOT of fun!
    Totally native Linux support as well...
    https://www.gog.com/game/slime_rancher
    Daerandin likes this.