1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Resident Evil 5!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Adrians25, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Adrians25

Adrians25 Member

Home page:
    Hi! I am using Ubuntu 14.10, but right after the release I will install 15.04! I have 3.4GHz quadcore CPU, 6GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GT 610, so I think I should be able to run the game! The problem is so I don't know how to install it! I have an .iso file. I think so the best owuld be extracting it and installing the setup file, but in some tries I tried it occured an error with this ID: 80070507! So any ideas on how to fully install Resident Evil 5 non-cd game in my computer? I would really love video tutorial, if possible!
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Unfortunately you are going to find that Resident Evil 5 is a "Games For Windows Live" product and may have a lot of problems trying to run it.
    I found this post on PlayOnLinux forums: https://www.playonlinux.com/en/topic-12243.html

Also, if your ISO is a pirated copy, neither Wine or PlayOnLinux forums will support you.
    Either way, you are going to have a lot of resistance because of Microsoft and possible pirated ISO symptoms.

WineHQ's gave the DVD version a "Silver" rating, meaning they were able to play it, but the opening cut-scenes would not work.
    So there is a chance you might get it to run.

Try this:
    Now go to PlayOnLinux and do a manual installation
    When it gets to "browse" navigate to this ISO you have mounted in Linux
    Select the "Setup.exe" and follow the installation instructions
  3. Adrians25

Adrians25 Member

Home page:
    OK! As always, sounds possible, but... I am never sure what I do when I read text! I just wanted to aks if someone could try that and make a complete video tutorial on that? If not, I don't mind, I'll just wait for the 15.04, install NVIDIA 346 drivers and try to install it. By the way, I have heard of something that makes it problems more. It requieres something called dotnet20 etc.
  4. booman

Home page:
    No problem
    I don't have Resident Evil 5, so it will be difficult for me to do a guide, unless there is a demo available.
    I'll check and see.

Yes, I noticed on WineHQ's that they recommended dotnet20 package.
    You can install these along with the Manual installation, its part of the process to select "packages"

Here is a video of someone running RE5 in Wine:
  5. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

Now Resident Evil 5 (Steam version) remove GFWL (around 15 days ago, around this days dead rising 2 remove GFWL too)

However i test this resident evil 5 (steam version) and runs but stay affected flickering bug and if you use wine 1.7.13 (last wine when flickering dont appear) works but when press keyboard at game begins game crash

Net framework must be needed as booman said (Net frameworks 2.0 - 3.5 SP2 and 4.0)

Respect CD/DVD virtual unit i recommend CDEmu is much better because this app simulate physical unit (VHBA module) this is very need in many games with ask cd/dvd-check (regular check not securom-starforce-tages or others)

This is CDEmu ppa if you have interest (ubuntu based distributions)

Almost forget however if playonlinux allow maybe wine-staging can help you because them have patch for solve flickering bug in various games

:)
  6. booman

Home page:
    No way! GFWL is removed!
    That is good news!

So if you have to install dotnet20... does Wine version have to be Windows XP?
    I know dotnet40 installs fine in Windows 7, but I don't think donet20 will.

Definitely recommend Wine 1.7.40 or 1.7.39 staging

I was having some lag in Grim Dawn with Wine 1.6.2 but when I tried 1.7.39 staging it runs really smooth now.
  7. Adrians25

Adrians25 Member

Home page:
    I am using default Wine that gets installed in Software center, I am not permitted to install complicated apps! Is it possible to install it successfully by simply installing some non-dangerous packages and than running the setup.exe?
  8. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

More and More games removes GFWL, very good for all

This days stay moved dirt 3 also removes GFWL if you have interest in tested

Respect net framework, i have installed net framework 2 SP2 (net framework 2 SP2 can be posible install recently wine 1.7.30 and upper), 3.5 SP2 and 4.0 with wine default prefix XP

However i use other prefix but in specific cases like silent hill 3 (this need use win98 or winme)

In my case still waiting begins wine 1.8 release candidate phase

:)
  9. booman

Home page:
    I don't have Dirt 3, but I hope more and more publishers/developers are patching out GFWL. They are loosing possible revenue if nobody can play their games.
  10. booman

Home page:
    Absolutely!

If you want, read over a few guides we have and take note of the structure.
    Here is also a simplified structure for testing games in PlayOnLinux
    Obviously there is a lot of detail missing, but the first thing you want to do is use the Wine Manager (in the Tools menu) and download a newer version of Wine.

Unfortunately when the game doesn't work, you will have to research and trial-n-error in order to find solutions.
    Most games end up working fine, but a few have problems because of DRM, clients (Origin, Uplay, Steam) or Package requirements (dotnet, d3dx9, vcrun, etc)

Since GFWL has been patched out, you won't need to worry about it....
    You have seen a video of it running in Linux, so we know it works, but we need to get it working on your setup.

A few pre-requisites really help:
    • 32-bit libraries (ia32-libs, multiarch)
    • dedicated GeForce video card (not integrated video chip)
    • Nvidia proprietary drivers
    • PlayOnLinux 4.2.6
    • Current or stable versions of WINE
  11. Adrians25

Adrians25 Member

Home page:
    I think I have ia32-libs, but maybe I had to install another version of libs because they had issues with 64-bit version of ubuntu! I don't remember, but I shall note that I have 64-bit! I have NVIDIA GeForce GT 610 GF119 and when I look into the computer I can see quite a bit card chip so I understand that it is dedicated. However, I am planning to install propiretary drivers right after 15.04 releases with 346 drivers(someone told me there will be). I don't know how to check PlayOnLinux version aswell as update it. I have Wine 1.6.2 as I know!
  12. booman

Home page:
    Ubuntu made changes to the ia32-libs packages so you can't download them all at once anymore.
    Really sucks because it was so easy in the past. Mint continues to support these packages.

If you are not using proprietary drivers in Ubuntu 14, then I'm pretty sure that is going to be a problem.
    Once you upgrade to Ubuntu 15.04 and install proprietary drivers... go ahead and try the manual installation with Wine 1.6.2 and see what kind of results you will get.
    In PlayOnLinux just click "help" and click "about PlayOnLinux"
    It should tell you the version.

When you plan to upgrade Ubuntu are you going to do a fresh install or via internet?
  13. Adrians25

Adrians25 Member

Home page:
    I have PlayOnLinux 4.2.3, not sure how to update. Anyways, I think it is better to install using Play On Linux imediately so it can't affect other system and paths. It is much more secure! Don't you think the same? Also PlayOnLinux has worked for me in like 95% in situations, but Wine- in only about 50% situations!
  14. booman

Home page:
    Download the 4.2.6 version from their download page: https://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html
    Select the installer for your distribution
    I use Mint, so I downloaded the Ubuntu Deb file and double-clicked to install
    It does the update perfectly without having to remove the old version.

I gave up on Wine alone about 2 years ago when I realized how hard it was to install games.
    After I found PlayOnLinux I was easily having 90% success with all of my games.
  15. Adrians25

Adrians25 Member

Home page:
    Yeah! It is nice that it offers me to Upgrade existing application instead of installing new one! However, I hope it won't have some uncompabalities when updating to 15.04!
  16. booman

Home page:
    There might be problems, just expect them and then research how to fix it.
    I did an upgrade via internet from Mint 16 to Mint 17 and everything ran great.
    But there are benefits to clean installation as well.

I was asking because if you do a fresh install, you will need those 32-bit libraries again.
  17. Adrians25

Adrians25 Member

Home page:
    Do you mean so my printer settings will reset too?!?:O That sounds very too far!
  18. Adrians25

Adrians25 Member

Home page:
    And one more thing: Are ia32-libs also 64-bit compatible? If not, what are(is libc6 the same or not?)?
  19. booman

Home page:
    If you do a fresh install with a USB Flash Drive or DVD, Linux will erase your hard drive and install Its-self on it.
    This means you will have to install your games, programs, drivers, etc all over again.
    This is why the Upgrade via Software Manager is preferred, but there can be problems with it as well.

Yes the ia32-libs (multiarch) is for 64-bit Linux only.
    You need these to run 32-bit only programs, which are most games.
  20. Adrians25

Adrians25 Member

Home page:
    Oh... Yeah! I know about the earse, I even haven't installed fresh installation ever in my life! That's serious fact!