1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

League of Legends (3.9)

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by booman, Jul 16, 2013.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Every gamer must have heard of League of Legends by now!
    The PlayOnLinux forums and WineHQ are littered with post after post after post on this game.
    So I thought it was time to try it out...
    A few tweaks and it plays beautifully!

league70.png

After running through a tutorial and messing with the interface, I was ready for a co-op game vs A.I.
    Interesting game mechanics... mostly a strategy game, but you control a hero that has RPG qualities where you level up, buy armor, weapons and abilities. There are a bunch of classes to choose from too.
    The main "gimmick" is there are two sides to the playing field. Your side and the enemies side.
    You and some friends can control your own hero, but you have minions that re-spawn automatically from a central location near your base. The minions are constantly helping you all the while you help them. Not to mention there are turrets at each base.

You can either choose to move independently and flank the enemies minions/turrets/heroes, or you can join along with them and plow right through the battlefield.

The only bug I had (noted all over WineHQ) is when you click on the store, the game crashes.
    Every time!

So, don't click on the store for now... it has been noted that the problem is due to icon image resizing and Wine is not able handle the problem as of yet.

Try out League of Legends, fun and a HUGE community!

league67.png

league65.png

league63.png
  2. Robbie

Robbie Member

Home page:
    I have an account and have played. Course it's been well over a year since I've touched it.
  3. booman

Home page:
    I tried it out with bots a few times and its fun, but I'm not quite immersed like other RPG games.
    Its more of an arena game with brainless minions & tower defense to keep the action going.
    Seriously, you don't even really have to play. You can just setup a game with lots of bot Summoners and then watch them play.
  4. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    LOL! That could have it's attraction if they have a good sense of humor!
  5. booman

Home page:
    I had to make some changes to my Guide because a gamers on the PlayOnLinux forum was having problems launching and updating from my original Guide steps.

Can one of you confirm that League of Legends works with my current steps?
    I may try it again over the weekend too
  6. excogjim

excogjim New Member

Hi all,

is this forum dead or shall i share here my experience on LoL(always actual and latest patch) with 12.04 Kubunutu on a laptop and kubunutu 13.10 on a desktop?
  7. booman

Home page:
    We are totally ALIVE! Just a small community because we are only a few months old.

So League of Legends 3.9 is already out?
    Yes, please post your results in the Wine or PlayOnLinux forum so this thread isn't too cluttered with debug outputs.
  8. excogjim

excogjim New Member

ok cool, I'll post it there too. Well I bumped in the same problem under kubuntu 13.10 and 12.04 (on the latter machine i followed the guide i found on tis page.) ~Current patch is 3.12 i think. I tested in both cases with a summoner's rift custom game and found the exact same issues:
    -no loading screen (not a serious issue)
    -i cannot rightclick friends in client to chat with
    -in game looks fine except the whole map is dark including champions. I still managed to kill bots and minions, successfully use the store, use the items (pots). ( store and menu had red background no graphical display of items, I could use both successfully) All my stats and items displayed correctly otherwise. I'll mess around with several versions of wine and let you know the differences. (I used 1.6rc I think.)
  9. booman

Home page:
    Wow, I haven not heard of those bugs...
    I don't have any problems with dark screen, loading screen... but I'm having a crashing problem with the store.
    Yes please keep us up-to-date on what you find out with Wine versions.

League of Legends seems to get more attention than any other game, so I hope the Wine Devs will give it some attention.
    Of course the next patch will end up breaking something.
  10. excogjim

excogjim New Member

Well I think for the chat issue installing adobe air would be the solution. I had pretty much the same result with all wine wine versions on the 13.10 kubuntu desktop machine. Got the debugging output, please let me know where can I post it. (E.g. pastebin it and share the link here?) I think to avoid crashes at every single update (which is quite frequent) some sort of communication with riotgames is unavoidable. I signed the petition to make a linux client as I only have win7 for Lol, otherwise I never boot it.
  11. booman

Home page:
    Aw, I forgot about that AdobeAir problem. I noticed people posting about it on PlayOnLinux forum.
    Let me know if installing AdobeAir fixes the chat.

I signed the petition also. It would be nice to have a Linux client.

If you want to post the debug, please post it in the PlayOnLinux thread here: PlayOnLinux