1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Games

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by Daerandin, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I set up a simple list of my Steam and GOG games, if anyone wonder how I got a game working, want to see a guide about a specific game, or would simply like me to test a game then feel free to ask.

My Games List
  2. Kladiator

Kladiator Member

I would like to see a guide about F.E.A.R.: I tried installing it using a PlayOnLinux script, but it didn't work at all, with a failure a few seconds after I was asked to point to the correct DVD.
    On the Winehq forums I read reports of sound problems and other issues, so I decided against trying a manual installation.
    How well does the game work?
    Thank you.
  3. Daerandin

Home page:
    For me I only experienced one issue with both F.E.A.R. 1 and 2, my own weapon and legs when looking down in the game does not appear solid and can be seen through. I just looked through install script on PlayOnLinux and it appears to use a much older wine version than I used.

I checked winehq and the translucent weapons appear to work correctly in wine 1.3.18, so I can test to see how it works. I do not own the game on DVD, I only own this on Steam so any guide I write will have to be with a Steam installation.

I'll see about getting such a guide done during next week if I can.
  4. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I have FEAR and can try it out too. Let me know if you have any problems Daerandin.
  5. Daerandin

Home page:
    Actually, I played through all of FEAR 1, and quite a bit of FEAR 2, so they both work. I just want to check if I can get them to work without the see-through weapon. I have a plan, testing with one of the newest wine versions, and the one claimed to work well on the winehq bug report, which is 1.3.18. Personally I consider the see-through weapon to not be a problem. However, if it displays as intended on a certain wine version, and the performance is still good, then I will go for that wine version.
  6. booman

Home page:
    Man, I never use any Wine versions below 1.4.1
    Lately I've been using 1.7.4 only.
    I just installed an ran Morrowind on 1.7.4 and it runs GREAT!
  7. booman

Home page:
    Hey, I noticed you have a few Myst games.
    I have Myst, Riven, Exile and Revelations.
    Between the both of us, maybe we can cover all of them in guides.
    To be honest, I've never tried them in Linux
  8. booman

Home page:
  9. Daerandin

Home page:
    I have not tried Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader or Jade Empire. Honestly, I have many games, especially on GOG that were part of deals during sales, such as "buy 5 games for 10$" deals they sometimes have, and I'll spot 3 games I want among those listed, and just pick two other at random to get the deal. So there are some games there I actually never intended to try.

As for the Myst games, those were on my todo list, just seemed to get pushed down by other games I prioritized over them.

It is quite obvious from my game list that I still have not tested many of my games, I've mostly stuck with my big favorites.

I will focus on the Steam version of FEAR 1 and 2 this week, since they both work well on the same virtual drive for Steam. I also prefer a newer wine version, but if an older version is needed for the game to work properly, then I'll pick it. Which is why I love PlayOnLinux so much, very easy management of different wine versions.
  10. booman

Home page:
    Me as well.
    I have a lot of games that I want to play and test in Linux, but other games take priority.
    So in time...
    I know one day I'll have more time to actually play games. But lately I only spend a few hours a week actually playing a game that I intend to play all the way through. All the rest of the games are just tests in Linux.

I'm actually almost done with Mass Effect.

Yeah, post your results of FEAR and FEAR 2... I"m curious how well they will run and what version of Wine works best.
    Also, are you on facebook?
    I have been posting screenshots and results on our Facebook page almost daily. I even link to the Guides too.
    I figured it was a good place to do blog-style posts about games I'm working on instead of the forum here.

If you would like to post tests-in-progress on facebook, just let me know and I'll have Gizmo give you access.
  11. Daerandin

Home page:
    I'm afraid I'm not on facebook, I am the kind of person that mostly try to avoid any form of socializing, haha.
  12. booman

Home page:
    Thats cool, but you seem pretty social here...
    I kinda have to be on facebook since my family and everyone at Church is there.
  13. Daerandin

Home page:
    Gaming and Linux combined seem to be a strong enough force to make me social, problem with me is that once you get me started, I'm difficult to shut up.

Over to FEAR, the transparent weapon and self body seem to be present on all the new wine versions, but on 1.3.18 it seemed to display correctly, however 1.3.18 had terrible performance and serious lighting issues. I will do some gameplay tests on both FEAR 1 and FEAR 2, I might even throw in FEAR 3 just to check if it runs too and if it does, I'll include it in the same guide.

However, so far the only issue I see is the transparent self body and weapons, and I don't consider it a deal breaker as the rest of the graphics are great with very good performance.
  14. booman

Home page:
    Me too, I'm the same way. Many times DJ and I have digressed in a thread on PoL forums.
    I'm assuming you tried FEAR with new versions of Wine... how did it go with those?
  15. Daerandin

Home page:
    Actually I'm just about to do some extended testing with wine 1.7.5 as I've had good experience with other games on that version with very good performance, it is the most likely choice for my guide. I see I forgot to mention it in my post above. Anyway, transparent self body is not a big issue as far as I am concerned, especially considering the lighting issues with lower wine versions.