1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not all updates can be installed - Ubuntu 14.04 lts

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by Lorena, May 17, 2016.

1. Lorena

Lorena Member

Sotware Updater is asking me to do a parcial upgrade now.
    I cant update my ubuntu 14.04 anymore
    when I Run the partial upgrade i get a message saying:
    "Error autenticating some packages" and i get a long list of them.-
    What did I do? What should I do now?
    What is this all about? Can somebody help me and explain a lil please?
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    You don't have to upgrade, just run updates. Upgrading to the newest Ubuntu could break things on your hardware. Its better you stick with Ubuntu 14.04

So when you run updates name a few packages that aren't authenticating.
    I get this error sometimes as well.
    You can always change the PPA for where your updates are downloading from. You shouldn't have to, but you can.

Is this a new Ubuntu install?
  3. Lorena

Lorena Member

Yes i just installed like 1 week ago. Do you remember? my Hd passed away when i was trying to learn how to install runes of magic with you on playonlinux forums
    So its a brand new installation. Want me to print screen so you can see?
  4. Lorena

Lorena Member

Well I still CANT update my system and honestly I dont know what I must do OR
    If I should do something about it.
    Plus today I woke up and my computer gave me disk error again and was not able to start (I have a brand new HD, just bought it 1 week ago).
    After several tries and touching things i left it alone for an hour.
    Then i came back, start it again and everything worked like nothing happened.
    Anyway I still have the Update problem. Any ideas or advices?
  5. booman

Home page:
    You may want to try the Disk Utility and scan for errors.
    It may not be the hard drive at all. Your old drive may still work.

There could be something wrong with your laptop controller or Memory.
    Also, allowing Ubuntu to sleep could cause some disk read errors

What laptop do you have again?
  6. Lorena

Lorena Member

Ok my husband said the problem was that the new HD (the one in charge of running ubuntu) was not attached to the case correctly.
    It had movement and now he fixed it and added a second drive for storage (another 500 Gb).
    Anyway we removed some unwanted programs and did a cleaning with Ubuntu Tweak's Janitor
    Still the software update doesnt work. Keeps asking for an upgrade.
    Honestly I dont know whats wrong. Maybe something I installed manually or maybe a ppa that is not doing what it should do... I dont know... But the point is i cant update my ubuntu 14.04.
    Im attaching some screenshots from my Sofware & Updates so maybe you can figure it out for me :p

Attached Files:

7. booman

Home page:
    I'm honestly not sure at this point. My Mint 17 is based on Ubuntu 14 and I've updated on a regular basis and even upgraded to 17.2 and 17.3
    I've never had problems with updates.
    Try rebooting, or installing them one at a time
  8. Lorena

Lorena Member

Im going to post on ubuntu forums for answers.-
  9. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    You have a lot of third party repositories enabled, which is most likely the cause of your issues. I would strongly suggest removing all the third party repositories you don't need and then performing a full system update. I don't have much experience with Ubuntu, but third party repositories are very frequently the source of major problems. Usually because the people who are maintaining such repositories often don't have the proper knowledge of software packaging.

If you are unsure of how to proceed, then I can hopefully help out a little more, but in that case I will need you to run a couple of commands in a terminal. When you run those commands, there will be a lot of output, which I will need you to copy (all of it) and paste it here.

When posting lots of text from terminal, it is much easier to read if you enclose the text within code tags. For example:

⁣[⁣CODE] $ uname -r [⁣/CODE]

Will display as:

Code:
     $ uname -r 
    Which makes lots of terminal text much easier to read.

As for the commands you should run, there are two.

Code:
     sudo apt-get update 
    Then just copy everything and paste here. This command simply refreshes the package database on your system, it does not change any of the installed software.

The second command is:

Code:
     sudo apt-get dist-upgrade 
    This second command will upgrade any packages on your system that requires an update. This will not upgrade to a newer Ubuntu version so no worries about that. You will be asked if you want to perform the package upgrade, answer yes. Once it is done, or encounters errors, just copy everything and post it here.

EDIT: I noticed you posted while I was working on this post. I do agree, the people on Ubuntu forums are probably better suited to help as they should be know Ubuntu a lot better than those of us here that don't use it.
    booman likes this.
  10. Lorena

Lorena Member

Im going to try your advice running those two commands on my terminal tonight when my husband gets home.
    If my computer blows I need him close to fix the damages.- :p
    booman likes this.
  11. Lorena

Lorena Member

Ok guys I did as I was told by Daeradin and this are files (copy/paste) from terminal that I got.
    Of course, for me this is basic madarin chinese :p
    Hope you understand this cause I really dont :(

Attached Files:

12. Daerandin

Home page:
    Great that you put the command output in text files. That is definitely easier to read and search through than my suggestion.

Okay, it seems that the issue is related to the google chrome repository. Apt-get is complaining about a missing public key. I had to do a bit of googling since I am not too familiar with Ubuntu, and I found this command which should download the public key and sign it for use with apt-get. Trusting this public key should not be a problem since it is for the google chrome repository. So go ahead and run this command:

Code:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 1397BC53640DB551
    After this, do the same two commands that I posted above, and once again copy the output and post it here. This way I can check if it complain about any other errors.

And after that, you may want to check with the normal Ubuntu Update software to see if it still complains about partial updates. I don't know for sure, but hopefully this was the source of your error. In any case, please report back if things have changed.
  13. booman

Home page:
    Geesh, what a pain, I would just remove the Chrome PPA
  14. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    That Chrome repo is full of constant problems. Cloasters had a similar one a few weeks ago. We decided to remove it as well.
  15. Lorena

Lorena Member

the point is that i use chrome to play flash videos (for example we watch the news channel online)
    and it only works with chrome - dont know why i cant watch it on firefox.
  16. Daerandin

Home page:
    You can use flashplayer, which should be available in the official repositories. But you may also use Chrome without having the Chrome repository enabled, the repository is not a requirement.
  17. Lorena

Lorena Member

ok after changing sata cables now my old computer is booting properly.
    I did what you told me in the first 2 steps and posted the reports.
    After that the Software Updater program is working without any more problems-
    So Im not going to do the part with:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 1397BC53640DB551
    Looks like its not necesary.
    Whole computer seems to work fine now.-
    About flashplayer i looked on Ubuntu Software Center and installed Adobe Flash plugin.
    Hope now the new works on firefox-
    Update: I CAN WATCH THE NEWS ON FIREFOX!!!!!!! thanks for the tip.-
  18. Lorena

Lorena Member

BTW if somebody wants to chat on IRC im online
  19. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Greetings Lorena!
    Glad things worked out for you.
    Permit me if I might to render unto you a Tale of two destros.
    But before I do let me assure you that I have used both destro's.

And that I have no irons in the fire so to speak.
    Let everyone run what everyone wants to run or what's the point of going Linux in the first place! ":O|

First Ubuntu:
    Ubuntu changed the world of desktop Linux. Ubuntu continues to change the world bringing fresh code and programs by the fistful to the desktop user. Ubuntu strives to be fresh and cutting edge. Ubuntu is an AMAZING destro!

But all this incredible innovation has a price. I truly believe that price to be rather small, but on occasion, rather costly.
    The code hasn't been as tested as it will be six months from now. In six months hundreds of thousands of users will have pounded the crap out of Ubuntu's new code, exposed and fixed every weakness it can find...

Just in time for the new Ubuntu to enter our lives. This is the Ubuntu release cycle and as such is pretty generic and about as tried and true as any....

Then there is Mint. What is Mint? Mint is mostly 6 months old Ubuntu!!

I suppose what most pleases me in Mint is the Cinnamon desktop. But innovations aside Mint remains Ubuntu held back six months to gain stability.

So as always Linux offers us a choice. Cutting edge and the small insecurities that brings or the more conservative and hopefully more reliable Mint.

We here at GOL mostly use Mint as it offers us a stable platform from which to launch our games and give others instruction in getting windows games up and running in Linux.

I just wanted you to know what the choices here might be. Enjoy whatever the the great coder puts before you! ":O}

Welcome to GOL!
  20. booman

Home page:
    You nailed it to a "T" Daniel.
    This is exactly why I use Mint and LOVE Mint.

Since I was a Windows gamer before Linux, I was used to holding on to my Windows XP and now Windows 7. I rarely updated and rarely installed new graphics drivers. If its not broken and stable... don't fix it ;)

This is the exact attitude and habits I brought to Mint. And well... Mint has proved to handle my needs just fine.
    Cinnamon gives me the Windows feel and yet still has option Desktop Environments, Windows Manager, Shell access, Terminal and all the Linux guru stuff I can play with... when there is a need.

For me, Mint is best of both worlds. So I am sticking with Mint. I don't know if anything better will come along, but I'm starting to know Mint like I knew Windows. I'm very comfortable, productive and quick to configure what I want.