1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh AMD, you've done it again

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cloasters, Aug 8, 2019.

1. cloasters

cloasters Well-Known Member

2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    It will be interesting to see how Intel responds to this.
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Its about time!
    I've been purchasing AMD for years now because of my budget builds. They are just plain cheaper!
  4. cloasters

And now AMD's CPU's are also plain better! This reminds me of salad days when AMD released the Sledgehammer. I hope they'll be able to keep ahead of The Behemoth for two years again! Go AMD!!
  5. cloasters

AMD's most expensive processors for servers and yes, supercomputers are what the recent headlines are all about. However, they are far ahead of the Beast in PC CPU's too!
  6. danrok

danrok Administrator Staff Member

Currently on an Asus ROG Strix X470-F and an AMD Ryzen 7 2700x.

Now my nvidia 1080 is really smooth at 60fps.

Will get a CPU with more than 8 cores at some point.
  7. cloasters

Sho' you right! I wonder if a more or less equally priced AMD video card would benefit even more from your choices of processors?
  8. danrok

danrok Administrator Staff Member

AFAIK the AMD equivalent is a Vega 64 and it's about the same price but not as good.

Do AMD's video drivers still suck I wonder?
  9. Kaitain

Kaitain Member

I get no screen tearing, stuttering, artifacts or blockies and good hardware acceleration with video using open-source amdgpu drivers on Raven Ridge (Vega 8 mobile), so based on a sample size of 1, I'd say they're fine.

I get screen tearing with nV closed-source 340-series drivers on my older laptop.
  10. cloasters

This is important to remember. Thank you very much

Looks like they SURELY do. What's a matta wid dem peoples?
  11. cloasters

Good to know, thank you Kaitain!
  12. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I have yet to try AMD drivers for years now.
    All of my gaming PCs have GeForce cards...
    There was one time when I was given an AMD card, it was a bit older, but still worked fine. I think it was back when I was dual-booting windows.
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    my Nvidia cards all pretty much just work for me,,,so I haven't taken any chances with the money that's involved. were I rich I'd try everything that's out there, I just like hardware.":O}
  14. cloasters

"Were I rich?" Yeah, but then I wouldn't know this great Web site!

How typical is it that using one of AMD's better than Intel processors STILL requires a GeForce video card? Can't wait for the better performance with a new AMD CPU--but this means NO AMD video card? Hello AMD--something NOT right here!!
  15. Daniel~

Home page:
    It will all clear up for you as soon as you except that AMD is Intel.

There's not much by which one can tell them apart. I have in the past benefited from AMD, But I have benefited far more from Intel over the past 20 years or so.

But I understand that neither Has given me a Damned thing. They Sell me stuff at the highest price they think the market can bear. If I can't afford it, and I can't, I build about one in 6 of the computers I'd like to build.

I build them behind the current wave of Tech. I have yet to build a computer of parts that aren't way behind the curve. Not because I can't but because I can't afford the parts.

George I honestly think you trying to befriend a corporation which by definition and by Law doesn't give two shits about you.The law mandates their loyalties. They must serve the stock holders. They must by law get every nickel they can and give as little as the must to you.

I try for the best hardware I can afford at the time. around ten years ago AMD took a powder leaving me but one viable choice. Now Once again AMD has an a competitive offering.

Last time that lasted around two or three years and it was only competitive price wise. once Cellys hit the market. But I was already invested and never got to play with them...But millions did!! ":O}

My point would be that either company will shaft you if they can. You may get a deal that befriends you
    But by law they can never befriend you. By law they seek every advantage against the consumer.

AS I can't see what comes next I look at what came before. A poor marker I admit, but all the rest is educated fortune telling. AMD and Intel churn the market. They offer fake competition that prospers them both.

I say fake because competition does not drive the market. The need to produce and sell the new motivates both. Some buy on price, like me, some buy on pure performance.

I wonder how much either make off a new chip and what more they make when the new chip is old and dropping in price?

These aren't friendly negotiations between you and your chip maker. These are negotiations between chip maker and the what the market can bare. You and I are hardly considerations. Corporations by in large sell to corporations, Were small change to them...by law. Just anothers point of view...

On a cautionary note, Intel never lets AMD superiority last for long, they can't by law.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 6:49 PM
  16. cloasters

If I prefer an underdog--well, that's in my nature. Yes, the entire world is corporations killing us as fast as they can. Perhaps you don't understand that AMD is about one twentieth the size of Intel?

When a tiny corporation bests Goliath in price and performance I take notice and I approve.
  17. Daniel~

Home page:
    Right now, how many different AMD and Intel chips are being sold?

On how many of those chips is AMD even beginning to compete?
    As i have explained, I can't afford what is really new.

So if was buying today I wold be buying yesterdays chip. Yesterday AMD had nothing for me.

But Tomorrow they will...
    But for me, will they?

Sure! New Ram, new motherboard and go back to begging for compatibility.

When I buy Intel I know my gear will work. When I doesn't it is a minor defect, like the one Kaitlin pulled me out of recently.

In the past I used a lot of AMD stuff. If it benefits me I will again.
    But it won't be because I think AMD is my Friend..It won't be because I think AMD cares more about me than Intel does.

Neither company can be said to perch upon the high moral ground. They both operate in the same way for the same reasons.

Just my guess , But I think it likely That AMD only surpasses Intel on Chips Intel doesn't care that much about.
    Sure Intel wants it all. But how much do they want it? Enough to divert their interest from better paying chips?

Or just enough to beat AMD on 95% of the chips Intel makes?

In short we've been here before. Again just my guess based on the past. But my guess is that two years from now we will be where we wre with this last year.

AMD shooting itself in the foot while Intel captivates the market as a whole.

I once felt enough pressure to rid myself of MS even at the expense of functionality.Linux simply was not ready to serve one so inept as myself. I had to buy a PS3 to play games.

For me there was a clear difference between MS and Linux. Linux CARES about me.
    MS cares only for my money.

AMD is not Linux. AMD is just another MS. Same as Intel.

Sure I'm happy to see any sort of competition.

If you think AMD offers you a competitive choice, then go for it when you can.

I would!!

But the idea that AMD loves you and are the good guys seems wildly improbable

The Idea that AMD can compete with Intel in any but a minor way seems...well, unproven..

Whatever hardware anyone chooses...I wish them only good things.
  18. cloasters

Buy any piece of gear you want. If I'm delusional about the current situation in stinking CPU's who cares.
    Enough said.
  19. Daniel~

Home page:
    I said nothing about anyone being delusional. AMD may well do better than last time..and change the computing world.
    But not by much. If AMD wishes to be Intel, more power to them. but how would that benefit me?

Better hardware at a cheaper price? Only if you believe that AMD will sell at cheaper price than they 'need to.
    Once on top they will act exactly as Intel does now. Why wouldn't they? The same forces that shaped Intel will shape AMD.
  20. Daniel~

Home page:
    Of course I understand The relative size difference.

It's this difference that makes AMD unlikely to surpass Intel even with a better chip.

I could be wrong but aren't you taking this a bit personally?

My views really have nothing to do with you personally.

George you may not believe this but I don't care who "Wins"
    As both are acted upon by the same forces, and must react in the same way.

Competition is one of the forces that both must deal with.
    Being 20 times the size of AMD doesn't make either good or bad.

Hitler was bigger than Mussolini. That doesn't make Mussolini Good.

In the moral realm size means nothing, action means everything.
    Show me how and where AMD is morally superior and I can change my view on this.

My views on this have little or nothing to do with you or my feelings for you.
    This is not personal for me. This is just me trying to understand the way the world turns.