1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenGL 4.5 spec released

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by allenskd, Aug 11, 2014.

1. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Source

I think one of the interesting things about OpenGL 4.5 is that it'll be providing DX11 emulation features. I don't know if they did the same in the previous spec releases but giving the developer an easier time is always good.

Three interesting players here (for me):

“OpenGL is a critical part of enabling developers to bring the best possible products to customers across a variety of platforms,” said Valve’s Gabe Newell. “We are committed to the Next Generation OpenGL initiative and are closely collaborating with Khronos members to create a high-performance rendering interface for SteamOS and future Valve games.”

“TransGaming’s API portability products support the full range of Desktop OpenGL and OpenGL ES versions to date,” said Gavriel State, founder & CTO at TransGaming. “We are excited about the Next Generation OpenGL initiative as we continue to bridge technology gaps between Direct3D and OpenGL APIs. Our ongoing product development across multiple platforms is enabled by the momentum and unity generated behind this open standard.”

“We are super excited to contribute and work with the Next Generation OpenGL Initiative, and bring our experience of low-overhead and explicit graphics APIs to build an efficient standard for multiple platforms and vendors in Khronos,” said Johan Andersson, technical director at Frostbite - Electronic Arts. “This work is of critical importance to get the most out of modern GPUs on both mobile and desktop, and to make it easier to develop advanced and efficient 3D applications - enabling us to build amazing future games with Frostbite on all platforms.”

EA, Valve and TransGaming (which might not be that known for many people, they are the creators of Cedega based on WINE when it used the MIT license, thus created the commercial project)
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Good news to hear OpenGL is up to the gaming standards.
    Its always nice to hear Valve is taking part too.
    I didn't know E.A. was playing a part in OpenGL development. This is good news for me.