Finally after several years of waiting, PlayOnLinux developers released the first Alpha version of PlayOnLinux 5
Unfortunately they are scripting games from scratch, which means there are currently 135 supported Games/Installers (scripts)
Report bugs here:
They changed the names of the tabs so now we have:
Is kind of confusing, specially with no games installed. It must be where the shortcuts will reside once you install something?
This is where you can search their repository of scripted installers... or Games. Similar to clicking Install in POL4
Shows you all of your wineprefixes and allows you to modify them like with Configure in POL4
They removed the "run a shell command line" in the virtual drive which prevents installing winetricks and ability to install other dependencies like:
- dotnet 4.5 or 4.6
Where you can choose a version of Wine to install. The only reason you would want to do this is to test the script installed game with another version of Wine. I would think the script would be updated to newer versions as game/client updates break the script...
Appears to show current script installations that are in progress. I'm guessing it will be blank when all of your games are done installing.
Allows you to change graphical settings in Phoenicis and Network, Repository, File Association settings. Not all features are available yet.
I tried installing Dark Forces and there was very little feedback that anything was happening. After about 2 minutes the Steam installation began.
There was a Steam error and after clicking "OK" nothing happened. There was a pending installation in the Installations Tab, but my only option was to "cancel"
Then it disappeared.
- No manual installation to test your non-listed programs
- Most of the GUI is just like PlayOnLinux 4 wrapped in new Java graphics.
- All of the icons are re-used from PlayOnLinux 4
- I don't see a debug option anywhere
- I don't see any arguments for additional commands to run in the game console
- No Components installations for manual testing of non-listed programs
- No way to switch Wine versions on a Container (Installed Virtual Drive)