1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Picked up some games on GOG.com

Discussion in 'Games' started by booman, Jun 24, 2014.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I just got 5 new games from the GOG.com summer sale:
    • System Shock 2
    • Tower of Guns
    • Still Life 2
    • Bards Tale
    Last week I also picked up Magrunner for free.
    So I'm going to have some more guides coming with DRM free games!
  2. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Oh, System Shock 2, I LOVE that game. Still have not tested it on Linux. but I will probably have to do it sometime soon. It is best played single player first time, but the co-op mode is awesome. It was actually made as an afterthought and released as a patch some time after the game's original release. It is a bit buggy in that events might not always appear synchronized, you can sometimes see your gaming partner fall through the floor or run in a different direction than they are actually doing, but such things synchronize again pretty quickly.

However, this does not make it any less enjoyable. The co-op is just the regular single player campaign, but with 2-4 players. Since it is rpg, it makes for very interesting gameplay where people can focus on different fields and watch each other's back.

I bought Dragon Lore on GOG.com as it looked interesting. I might do a guide for it if I get it working well.
  3. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I want to get System Shock 2 from GOG.com

Heck, I want to get most games from GOG.com... I just wish they got more attention for newer games :(
  4. Daerandin

Home page:
    When other devs and publishers start to realize that it does not hurt their business to sell games without DRM, the we will start to see more new games on GOG. The people at GOG want all the new games they can get, it's just a problem for them to get other companies to agree to the no-DRM policy they run, which keep games from appearing on GOG. I am just happy they stick to this policy, instead of increasing the titles in their catalogue at any cost.

Just keep buying from GOG and maybe other companies will see that it actually is profitable to sell without DRM.
  5. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I think it's more complicated than that. Piracy is an issue that has been dealt with digital distribution over time. Sales are proof of that, however, companies will also try to develop clients like Ubisoft did with uPlay (most horrendous thing ever created) and try to snatch the userbase Steam has.

I do believe in GOG, in providing DRM-free games. Sadly, it's not that simple :/
  6. Daerandin

Home page:
    The whole client idea is horrible, I am just glad GOG's client will be optional. When GOG started out, they were pretty much just catering a niche market. They started with the concept of providing old games, without DRM, that worked on new computers. Now when they have a much broader audience, the whole client idea might be to appease those who have become used to "clients" since it seems to be the "big thing".

I signed up on GOG when it was still in beta and only had a handful of games. I am very happy they have not deviated from their core philosophy and I will continue supporting them for this.

But to talk about the actual summer sale again. The last couple of years I have not really bought much on the sales on GOG. Right now I am at a point that I have purchased from GOG every game that I had retail editions of, not to mention a whole lot more. There just are not many games on GOG anymore that I want. Of course, there are a LOT of games I would like to see added to the GOG catalogue.
  7. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Actually, a client done right is useful.

A client that can bring updates to your games, be it bug fixes, patches, content update is something that needs to be had for new games. Old games didn't need that, which is why I believe GOG decided to go with just a download manager. But now they are expanding their vision, a client is needed for that. Even if it's optional, having those things handled for you is nice to have. I would hate applying patches manually every time I play a game that is constantly updated.

I don't see clients as a bad thing as long as they have a mission to make everything simple. But, if it's something horrible as uPlay? Don't even let it get near me!
  8. Daerandin

Home page:
    I hate clients for one reason. If the service goes down, then all your games can't be played anymore since they rely on the client. GOG solved that problem by making the client optional. It is very important for me to know I can keep playing my games no matter what happens to the place I bought them from.
  9. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

I know exactly what you mean. Every day we are hoping Steam client on WINE doesn't break for us Linux users. Even if GOG has a client, their games are still DRM-Free and they don't have any plans of tying said games to the client.

Which is why GOG will get my support, regardless!
  10. booman

Home page:
    The Desura client is awesome because the games are DRM free and you can launch the game without the client.
    I hope the GOG client is the same way. Use the client to purchase, download, update and launch your game, or just create your own shortcut that bypasses the client all together.

I have been frustrated with Steam for 8 years and counting!
    It works great when you have one computer, but I have 6+ computers that use Steam. What a pain!
    And, Steam will update games without even asking.... one day login to play a game for 30 minutes and Steam starts installing an update. Next thing you know it takes 30 minutes for the update. So much for playing your game.

Daerandin: So who is going to do the System Shock 2 Guide? Want to flip for it?
  11. Daerandin

Home page:
    Since the GOG client will be optional, there will not be any need to bypass it either. I expect we can still keep installing and playing GOG games just as before.

I already have my mind set on the next two guides I will do (Gothic 2 and 3), so I would not be doing any SS2 guide the next couple of weeks. If you feel like doing it just go ahead. We can flip for it if you still have not done it by the time I have completed the Gothic guides.
  12. booman

Home page:
    Ok, Great!
    I already have two guides waiting:
    • World of Tanks
    • Full Spectrum Warrior
    And I'm currently testing Rune Classic.
    But I'll be testing these new games over the weekend.
    Specially Magrunner... looks awesome!
  13. Aryvandaar

Aryvandaar Active Member

It's actually very simple. DRM doesn't work, and it only punishes those who buy the games. If they want to beat piracy they should start by not punishing those who buy their products. I hate companies like that, and those companies deserve to die, because they have no respect for their customers, customers who keep them going.

People should start by voting with their wallet, but I think that is too much to ask because people seem to be fine with how companies treat them.
  14. booman

Home page:
    I see why publishers use DRM... but I agree with your comment about punishing us. When DRM doesn't work its a HUGE punishment. Why would you want to punish those who actually paid for your game?
    90% of the DRM I have used in Windows works fine. I rarely ever have a problem.
    Now in Wine and PlayOnLinux I have problems with DRM all the time because its just not written for Wine.

I doubt the big companies will see benefit in DRM-free because spending 4 Million on a game means they want to get it all back.
    I have never supported those big games because I almost always buy games used or on sale.
    So my money is never part of their profit equation.
  15. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Random note for Daedanrin:

Thanks for the lgogdownloader suggestion in your guides. I needed a downloader and it was surprisingly nicely done. I glanced over the source code and it was pretty darn readable, although I already had an idea on how to get the games. I say this because I didn't want to do a python implementation, that little app works wonders.