1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PlayOnLinux Update avialable (4.2.2)

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Dec 31, 2013.

• by booman, Dec 31, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    PlayOnLinux developers do not update very often, so when they do, it has to be significant.

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/download.html

The best way to update and retain all of your games/shortcuts/libraries/wine versions is to copy these folders to your desktop:
    • Fonts
    • Icons
    • Resources
    • Scripts
    • Shortcuts
    • Wine
    • Wineprefix
    Uninstall the old PlayOnLinux, then install the new one.
    After that drag-n-drop those backed up folder back to your .PlayOnLinux folder in home and you are ready to go!
  • Categories: Uncategorized

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Daerandin
    PoL is in the Arch repos so I'll simply wait for the maintainer to update the Arch package. Usually the Arch people are at most 24 hours behind on updates. I already flagged the package out of date on the Arch package list, so they should hopefully be quick.
  2. booman
    Ironically I already saw the update in Mint Software Updater... pretty cool huh?
    But I went ahead and downloaded the .deb installer and used apt-get remove to uninstall.

Thats cool Arch will allow you to flag a program so they will update.
  3. Gizmo
    Available in the Fedora repo as well.
  4. Kladiator
    On the PlayOnLinux website I was not able to find an announcement, let alone the changelog.
    Do you guys know anything about what's new with the 4.2.2. version?
    Personally I will not upgrade until I find a compelling reason to do so.
  5. booman
    Nope, but I found out by launching PlayOnLinux this morning.
    I just remember every time I read a post in the PlayOnLinux forum, DJ would always say to update to the newest PlayOnLinux.

Since I'm constantly testing games, I might as well be the one to try the new version.
  6. Daerandin
    The warning message about incorrect sRGB profile no longer appear for me with the new PoL version, so that's one thing they have fixed.
  7. Kladiator
    Well, I said I would not upgrade POL but, launching a long overdue update of my system, I found out that now my version is 4.2.2! (I had not checked which programs might be changed).

I don't see anything different, it certainly works because I tried installing Fallout New Vegas and there was not the slightest problem; the game runs perfectly well.

I guess the PlayOnLinux guys must have fixed some bugs.
  8. booman
    How ironic... guess you will have to check all the updates before running them next time.

You have New Vegas???
    I've wanted it for a long time!
    That makes me happy it runs in Linux. Can you post some pics in our PlayOnLinux Forum?

Yes, I'm sure they fixed a bunch of bugs, so far I have only noticed one difference... the Steam PNG icon error is fixed.
  9. Kladiator
    Booman, I just wanted to let you know that New Vegas is still on sale on Steam, but only for a few hours!

I would gladly post some pics, but I haven't even started Fallout 3 yet, which I installed some time ago following the guide you posted here.

Right now I have at least 50 new games (well, new for me at least) that I have to play and so little time!(I am not complaining though:)).

I will see what I can do.
  10. booman
    Not a problem, it just sounded like you were playing it.
    $5 isn't bad for Fallout New Vegas!

Yeah, after all those bundles I bought, I have way way way too many games to play.
    I actually keep a list