1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please don't try this at home..........

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by porporme, Dec 31, 2017.

1. porporme

porporme Member

My other rig crashed (think I lost a SSd drive) so I jumped the rope-installed Mint. Now I have to figure out how to work it.
    BTW/ it's NOT a good idea to work on two rigs at the same time.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Dang, well what hardware do you have?
    Linux does a great job supporting just about any hardware out-of-the-box. I've never had to install any drivers like you do with Windows. its GREAT!

Can you list both machines?
  3. porporme

porporme Member

AMD FX 4300 quad black AMD Phenom IIx4 965
    ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0
    16g DDR3 Crucial 16g crucial DDR3
    Geforce 9800 GT GeFor ce GT 730
    Win 7 home Mint
    120g SSD
    500g HDD

This is the one I' working with now. CPU-Z Windows.
    I've been searching in the Mint machine fo specs-no dice-annoying because it's so easy in windows. I'll track it down after a beer!!!

I said don't try to work at two machines at the same time=ore even one after a "few" beers!!
    I'll get the specs for the Linux rig tomorrow.
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

You have enviable hardware, well done! I hope Mint Cinnamon works well for you, sometime in the future(if you're tired of reading Cinnamon the reason I yammer on with it is because it makes your desktop almost look and work like Windows).

"System Monitor" found under the "Start" button then "Administration" helps reveal some important performance values--but it's not really what I think you want. Sorry.
  5. porporme

porporme Member

Sorry Cloasters but I bailed on Mint. I did an fresh install of win 7 and I'm already folding with it.
    You wouldn't believe how much computer savvy I've lost in my hiatus and not willing to deal with learning Linux-at this point.
    Who knows about later!
  6. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    No problem. Linux is something you have to play with one day at a time. There are so many differences than Windows and lots of questions... can't be done over night.

Just to answer your question (an for all the Linux gamers out there)
    You can get a detailed list of hardware by running this command in terminal:
    Code:
    lshw
    It means: List Hardware
    And boy will it list every single input/output and chip on your motherboard.
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

That's fine, as I posted on the Olde Same Site. You seem to be able to get Win7 to work like you want it to. That's very cool. MS Win10'd me behind my back and ruined Win "7", which became too close to Win10. Which I hate for good reasons. So I'm a Mint guy now, thanks to help from GOL. You should run what you want!

I'm not certain, but I think that PorPorMe would like to see how his machine is performing. This was pretty easy in Windows. Mebbe it is in the Mighty Linux. I'd love to know how.