1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problems with using the Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by Cosmic Penguin, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Cosmic Penguin

Cosmic Penguin New Member

This problem is about running the Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator (which is free software [​IMG] ) on Linux Mint. For some reason the textures on the planets are not showing properly, while running it in Ubuntu did not result in the same problem. Moreover the frame rate literally drops to zero when I run this in Linux Mint; again, this does not happen when I run it in Ubuntu, which is strange. A full description of the problem by more than one user can be found here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=32835 and http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=34769

I was using:
    - Mint Cinnamon 17.1 64-bit (though IIRC the problem started from at least Mint 15)
    - NVidia GeForce GT 640M LE video card (one of those switchable cards on a laptop)
    - Latest version of proprietary drivers on the video card

Here's my thread on the issue on the Linux Mint Forums: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=225&t=191159

This is the method I used to install Orbiter on Linux Mint & Ubuntu: http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/orbiter-space-flight-simulator-guide.452//http://devio.us/~dv/linux-orbiter.html

Can someone who is familiar with graphics rendering take a look at this issue? Thanks! [​IMG]

Cosmic Penguin
  2. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I don't know much about Mint, but it has been a while since I last tested Orbiter so I am going to set it up again.

My first tip is always to try one of the newest wine versions. However, since you seem to experience the problem only with Mint then it definitely seems to be something odd going on with Mint. I might install Mint on a separate partition I have to try it out myself and see what results I get. However, I only have an nvidia card so I can't be sure if it is related to the Intel/Nvidia combo.
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Here is our original conversation on the Mint Forums: Orbital
  4. Daerandin

Home page:
    I've done a bit of testing with Orbiter on Arch. The D3dx9 client has a newer release than in my guide, which no longer have the option that was needed to make runway lights visible when running this in Wine. I also ran this with wine version 1.7.39. There was no longer any need to set the GDI option as I specified in my guide. I made some testing and it made no difference that I could see.

Note that the GDI option is only related to the 2D MFD displays for your ship, and nothing else. However with Wine version 1.7.39 and the newest (R15) version of the Directx9 client for Orbiter, this didn't seem to make any difference for me.

I am seeing very good framerates, around 190-200 fps.

In any case, I may need to update the guide at some point to reflect the changes with newer versions. I am not happy that I can't see runway lights anymore so I will see if it might be fixed through editing config files.

However this does not seem to be related to your problem so I went ahead and had a look at your post on the Mint forums and I saw the problem immediately. When you launch Orbiter, it is running with your integrated Intel graphics and NOT with your nvidia card. Personally, I have not experience with Intel/Nvidia setups so I am afraid I don't have much help to offer on that particular topic. There is a chance that Ubuntu simply disabled your integrated graphics by default, but Mint does not.

I found this page here from some googling:

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1687
  5. Daerandin

Home page:
    I just wanted to add that I believe you should start PlayOnLinux from terminal with the command:

Code:
    optirun playonlinux
    As that will ensure that all games you run from PlayOnLinux will in fact use your nvidia card. But as I said, I don't have any experience with such a setup so there may be other people who can help out better if you can't get it working.

If things are working or not, please post your results (preferably with the playonlinux log if things still run poorly).
  6. Cosmic Penguin

OMG thank you! Indeed I had problems with running bumblebee before and has never able to properly run it - your post above means that I finally find the way to run optirun inside POL.

I have just tested and all the problems I reported are now gone. Orbiter is running smoothly so far. :)
  7. Daerandin

Home page:
    Great to hear that things are working!

I still have not found a way to make those runway lights work with the newest dx9 client for Orbiter, but I have not given up yet.
  8. Cosmic Penguin

Try asking about that problem here: http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=18431
  9. booman

Home page:
    Awesome! glad you could get it working now!
    I'm also glad that Bumblebee works too
  10. Daerandin

Home page:
    I doubt they can help on those forums, as this is a Wine specific problem. Still, I can give it a try.
  11. Cosmic Penguin

Hmm today I tried again starting PlayOnLinux with bumblebee and it said that it can't find the 32-bit OpenGL libraries....and this didn't happen when I am not using optirun:

Code:
     $ optirun playonlinux
    Looking for python... 2.7.6 - selected
    [main] Message: PlayOnLinux (4.2.6) is starting
    [clean_tmp] Message: PlayOnLinux seems to be already running. Don't cleaning tmp
    [Check_OpenGL] Warning: 32bits direct rendering is not enabled
    [Check_OpenGL] Message: 64bits direct rendering is enabled
    [POL_System_CheckFS] Message: Checking filesystem for /home/ivan/.PlayOnLinux/
    [main] Message: Filesystem is compatible

(python:6890): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_widget_get_direction: assertion 'GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed
    [install_plugins] Message: Checking plugin: Capture...
    [install_plugins] Message: Checking plugin: ScreenCap...
    [install_plugins] Message: Checking plugin: PlayOnLinux Vault...
    [maj_check] Message: List is up to date

What should I do?
  12. Cosmic Penguin

OK it looks like I was using the wrong command all along - I found out that "optirun" isn't working, while using "primusrun" works. I don't know why, but the problem has been solved. ;)
  13. booman

Home page:
    Glad you got it working. So now it can find the 32-bit libraries?
  14. Daerandin

Home page:
    Optirun is from Bumblebee, while primusrun is Nvidia's proprietary method of handling Intel/Nvidia graphics. The most important difference from what I have read is that using bumblebee and optirun saves more energy.

I did notice from the error message you posted that PlayOnLinux is already running. Are you sure you don't have any other instances of it running which might have caused the problem?
  15. walkfar60

walkfar60 New Member

16. walkfar60

walkfar60 New Member

I have an idea that you should also install vcrun2008 to get the game functioning correctly?
    booman likes this.
  17. Daerandin

Home page:
    This issue has already been resolved.
    booman likes this.