1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommend email Client for Linux?

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by adamjohnson, Dec 15, 2016.

1. adamjohnson

adamjohnson New Member

I've look at several Linux based email clients and I'm looking for something that doesn't require time (that I no longer have) to learn it.

I have had to migrate to Win7 in a rush and haven't had the time to learn the ins and outs there either. I just have to use it and, shortly, may have to do the same all over with Win10.

I have never used Office Outlook, and with the loss of Outlook Express have found a "look alike" for Windows, however it still requires significant development and upgrades to bring it up to what Express was.

Can anyone suggest a Linux email client that is close enough to Outlook Express that I can try and see if it will enable me to keep working without loosing time on learning idiosyncrasies?
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I've rarely used Outlook Express because my jobs always provided Outlook. But most mail clients have the same functionality:
    • Inbox
    • Drafts
    • Outbox
    • Sent Items
    • Folders
    • Contacts
    • Calendar
    • etc
    For the most part you can create a new email and send it to someone and the client will store their address and the sent email.

I've hear that Thunderbird can work really well as a mail client. Maybe not as simple as Outlook Express.
  3. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Every e-mail client has idiosyncrasies. Not to be rude, but if you're looking for OE on Linux, you won't find it, for much the same reason that you aren't finding a replacement for OE on windows: Microsoft isn't interested in writing one.

Having said that, I used to use Thunderbird quite a bit. It had the virtue of running on both Windows and Linux, and being consistent across the systems, plus it didn't have many of the stupid bugs that existed in OE (from the perspective of standards, OE is marvelously consistent in ignoring them and expecting the server to compensate).

I haven't used Thunderbird in years though, because I do everything via webmail now, so I don't know if it is still that good. You don't mention what distro you are running, but it should be available as a pretty simple install on pretty much any distribution out there.

Also, is there a reason you have a link to a ringtone download page for your home page in your user profile?
    booman likes this.
  4. booman

Home page:
    I only use gmail for my personal email. IT ROCKS!
    I save all of my contacts, bookmarks, calendar events and personal files there. I love Google DOC's and their Excel, Word, Powerpoint programs. Everything is in one place and works on all devices.
  5. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    In general, I find webmail to be less functional than a full-fledged e-mail client like Thunderbird, but webmail has the advantage of working regardless of what computer I'm on.
  6. booman

Home page:
    So true, but honestly I'm tired of Outlook and its 1000 features. Too stinking bloated and does waaaay too much. Its great for business but not so much for personal.
  7. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I also generally prefer webmail, but I do use Thunderbird a lot as well. Thunderbird has a lot of good functionality, and there are tons of plugins you can use, which can be added from the Thunderbird interface. I use a plugin to sync my contacts with my google account, as well as enigmail which let you use pgp encryption with emails.