1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rocket League Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Daerandin, Aug 21, 2015.

• by Daerandin, Aug 21, 2015 at 5:30 PM
  • Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    RL_title01.jpg

This is a fast paced game where two opposing teams control racing cars to hit a ball into each others goals. The cars can make jumps and even dodge in order to hit the ball. And with the use of the rocket engines, the cars can even fly for a very brief amount of time. All this together makes for very interesting gameplay.

RL_title02.jpg

NOTE: This game now has a Linux version on Steam. The Linux version runs perfectly to my experience, so you will probably not need this guide.

The guide will explain how to setup Steam in PlayOnLinux so that you can install and play the game in steam.

Tips & Specs

To learn more about PlayOnLinux and Wine configuration, see the online manual: PlayOnLinux explained

Arch Linux 64-bit
    PlayOnLinux 4.2.8
    Wine 1.7.49

Setup PlayOnLinux

Launch PlayOnLinux and select 'Tools' and 'Manage Wine versions'

In the new window that appears, scroll through the 'Available Wine versions' box to find '1.7.49' and click on the right pointing arrow to install it, afterwards it will appear on the right side under 'Installed Wine versions'
    If you have a 64-bits system, make sure you have selected the 'Wine versions (x86)' tab above, although it works well on 64-bit as well to my experience, I will just not cover it in this guide

RL_01.jpg

Just close the window. Back at the main PlayOnLinux window, select 'Install'

Click on 'Install a non-listed program'

RL_02.jpg

Select 'Install a program in a new virtual drive'

RL_03.jpg

Name the virtual drive "rocketleague"

RL_04.jpg

On the next window, select 'Use another version of Wine', 'Configure wine' and 'Install some libraries'

RL_05.jpg

On the wine selection window, select the 1.7.49 version and click 'Next'. Make sure you select '32-bits window installation' if you are on a 64-bit system, although as mentioned earlier, it should also work using a 64-bit virtual drive if so desired.

RL_06.jpg

When the wine configuration window appear, select the 'Graphics' tab, and click the checkbox for all four options. Make sure that you set the resolution to your desktop resolution. My desktop is at 1920 x 1080, so I set that for the wine virtual desktop resolution. Click OK to continue.

RL_07.jpg

Note: Even though the language is Norwegian in my screenshot, the layout will look the same for you

When you come to the selection of libraries, select POL_Install_steam

RL_08.jpg

Then click Next

You have to go through the Steam install process manually. I always prefer to install Steam by using this library in PlayOnLinux since it takes care of the missing font issue in Steam, while also installing the corefonts library so it looks better than just a manual Steam install.

Just click Next

RL_09.jpg

This install process is pretty straightforward. Click to agree to the EULA, then just click Next through the next few screen, until you can click Install.

RL_10.jpg

When the Steam installation is finished, make sure you uncheck the box for starting Steam, we do not want to start Steam at this point.

After you have unchecked the box for starting Steam, you can click on Finished

RL_11.jpg

When it asks you for the install file to run, click on 'Cancel'

RL_12.jpg

The virtual drive has already been set up by this point and there is no need to run any install file. Now back at the main PlayOnLinux window, click on 'Configure', it does not matter what game shortcut is selected when you click 'Configure' so don't worry about that.

On the left side, find the virtual drive you just set up, it will be listed with the same name you typed in during set-up. Look for 'rocketleague', when you find it make sure to select it. After you have selected it, click on 'Make a new shortcut from this virtual drive'

RL_13.jpg

Check the screenshot above for reference. It is very important that you select the virtual drive you just set up before making further changes.

Select Steam.exe and click next. You can name the shortcut "Steam - Rocket League" then click 'I don't want to make another shortcut' and click next.

RL_14.jpg

Now click on the 'Display' tab on the top. Change 'Video memory size' to reflect your GPU memory.

RL_15.jpg

At this point you can close the PlayOnLinix configuration window and start Steam from the Shortcut in the main PlayOnLinux window. First Steam will update.

RL_16.jpg

Once this update is finished, you may encounter this error message

RL_17.jpg

This can be safely ignored, just click Next and then continue by logging in to Steam

RL_18.jpg

Now just find the game in your game library, and click Install

RL_19.jpg

The game runs perfectly smoothly on my laptop with settings on maximum with 1920x1080 resolution. I have experienced no crashes or other problems, so this seems game seems to work perfectly in Wine. Multiplayer also works great, you can join games and also create your own private games with password just for friends.

Screenshots

RL_SC01.jpg RL_SC02.jpg
    RL_SC03.jpg RL_SC04.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
    mrdeathjr28 likes this.
  • Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Daerandin, Aug 21, 2015.

1. lej047
    Did everything in this guide. It works until I press the play button in steam. Then it gives me an error about a Setup.exe. Everytime i press play it says installing microsoft vc redist package and exits. It repeats that over and over and the game is unable to launch.
  2. Daerandin
    Can you tell me more about your system, like what distro you are using, 32-bit or 64-bit. And perhaps most importantly, what graphics card do you have?
  3. lej047
    Thanks for your reply. Sorta new to arch so I'll do my best:

lee@XPSHost
    `ooo/ OS: Arch Linux
    `+oooo: Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.1.6-1-ARCH
    `+oooooo: Uptime: 10m
    -+oooooo+: Packages: 779
    `/:-:++oooo+: Shell: bash 4.3.42
    `/++++/+++++++: Resolution: 1368x768
    `/++++++++++++++: WM: i3
    `/+++ooooooooooooo/` CPU: Intel Core i5-5200U CPU @ 2.7GHz
    ./ooosssso++osssssso+` GPU: Mesa DRI Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500 (Broadwell GT2)
    .oossssso-````/ossssss+` RAM: 1184MiB / 7894MiB
    -osssssso. :ssssssso.
    :eek:sssssss/ osssso+++.
    /ossssssss/ +ssssooo/-
    `/ossssso+/:- -:/+osssso+-
    `+sso+:-` `.-/+oso:
    `++:. `-/+/
    .` `/
    [lee@XPSHost ~]$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Host Bridge -OPI (rev 09)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Integrated Graphics (rev 09)
    00:03.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Audio Controller (rev 09)
    00:04.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Broadwell-U Camarillo Device (rev 09)
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB xHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP MEI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev e3)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev e3)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP USB EHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP LPC Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP SATA Controller [AHCI Mode] (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Wildcat Point-LP Thermal Management Controller (rev 03)
    01:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5249 PCI Express Card Reader (rev 01)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4352 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 03)
  4. lej047
    Just to clarify I did this guide over 3 times following every step but I can never seem to get the game to play without getting past the "installing microsoft vc redist package". I press play, the message shows up, and nothing happens, press play again, it repeats over and over. On the same computer it works with Xubuntu using similar steps posted here.
  5. Daerandin
    Most likely you are just missing some 32-bit libraries. If this is a pretty bare bones Arch install without any additional software then this is likely the case.

Run the game with debug so we can hopefully see what is missing. Just select the game shortcut in PlayOnLinux, but instead of clicking on "Run", click on "Debug" on the side menu. This will open an additional window. Just keep this window open while you try to start the game. After the game has failed to launch, you can copy everything from the Debug window and post it here.
  6. lej047
    Yes, this is pretty much bare bones arch, but I thought enabling the multilib repo would take care of those 32 bit libraries... Anyways, heres the output of the debug window:

7. Daerandin
    First of all, you need to keep in mind that with Arch Linux nothing is done automatically for you (this is the whole point with Arch). Enabling the multilib repo does not install anything, it only makes the repository available. It is still up to you to install any 32-bit libraries you require. However, this does not seem to be the problem here.

You have not followed my guide to the letter, because you are using a different wine version than what I write in my guide. With Wine version 1.7.50, this game attempts to launch the DirectX11 version of the game, which naturally enough will fail to run in Wine. There are two ways you can solve this:

Option 1: Install this with Wine version 1.7.49

Option 2: This option does not require you to install it again. Select your game shortcut in PlayOnLinux and click on "Configure". Select the "Wine" tab, then click on "Configure Wine". In the new window that appears, select the "Libraries" tab, and then you need to type in "d3d11" (without the quotation) within the "New override for library" box. Then click on "Add". Finally, select the newly added d3d11 entry and click on "Edit". A new small window will open, here you should select "Disable" and then click Ok. Finally click on Ok within the primary Wine Config window to have these changes saved. You can now play your game. You can check my screenshot to see how it should look.

d3d11.jpg

My system is running with Norwegian locale, but it will look the same for you. Just remember that your line with d3d11 should read:
    d3d11 (disabled)

EDIT: It just occurred to me that there is of course a chance that you are missing 32-bit libraries still since you have a bare bones Arch install. So if any of the options above does not fix your issue, let me know and I'll help you figure it out.
  8. Daerandin
    I have just gone through your whole debug output and it does seem like you are missing some 32-bit libraries. Keep in mind that the you will in any case need to pick one of the options I posted above in order to have this game running.

I would like you to run a command just to list all installed 32-bit libraries:

Code:
    pacman -Qsq lib32
    Post the full output here just so I can have a look.
    booman likes this.
  9. lej047
    Thanks for your help. I tried both options but still ran into the same errors. I tried the second option first with no luck. I then reinstalled everything using wine 1.7.49 and got setup.exe errors. Here's the debug ouput of the game while trying to launch with wine 1.7.49..

Debug output:
    http://pastebin.com/FzNVVk85

Output of: pacman -Qsq lib32
    http://pastebin.com/0vYQBWg0
  10. Daerandin
    You have the 32-bit library required for your graphics driver, so that is good. But based on your debug output there are some additional 32-bit libraries you requires, so you should install the following packages:

• lib32-gnutls
    • lib32-alsa-lib
    • lib32-alsa-plugins
    • lib32-libxml2
    • lib32-libldap
    If you are using PulseAudio, then you should also install the package lib32-libpulse

Install these packages and try to run the game, then let me know if it works.

Edit: I originally posted lib32-libpulse within the list, but that package is only required if you use PulseAudio
  11. lej047
    Installed those packages and it finally runs!!! Thank you so much.
  12. Daerandin
    Great to hear that things are working.
  13. booman
    I hope some day distro's will automatically pack 32-bit libraries for us. I know everyone is trying to move away from 32-bit, but its never going to go away since 500,000 programs are only 32-bit compatible.
  14. Daerandin
    When it comes to Arch, it is never going to pack anything by default since that's the whole point with Arch. However, for the distros aimed being quick and easy to set up with no fuss, it would certainly be a plus if they made some of the more common libraries installed by default. Then again, not everyone want 32-bit support on their 64-bit system since it does take up some hard drive space to have those additional libraries.
  15. booman
    Right, totally forgot about Arch, but Ubuntu and even Mint do not initially have them installed. Luckily, Mint still supports the ia32-libs package when Ubuntu does not.
    I guess if you know what you are doing, you could get away from using 32-bit all together, but that is impossible for me and most gamers.
  16. GAalexandres
    Thanks for your guide, but when I click the play button nothing happens, if I click on "VIEW FRIENDS LIST" it says that I'm playing Rocket League but after 1 second it says that I'm online.
  17. Daerandin
    Are you using the Wine version in my guide, or are you using a newer wine version?
    GAalexandres likes this.
  18. GAalexandres
    I've followed the guide again, now the sound is very very fast and the screen is black.
  19. Daerandin
    I am going to need some information about your system. What distro are you using, are you using 32-bit or 64-bit. What is your GPU.

Run the game with "Debug" and post the entire output here.
    GAalexandres likes this.