1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Space Engineers

Discussion in 'Games' started by booman, Aug 12, 2014.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
  2. steve723

steve723 Member

At least now I know it will work via wine. Now to figure out how to get POL to run it.
  3. steve723

steve723 Member

Nope doesn’t work for me. I probly need to set a override or something but what? * Goes to check the wine database for clues.
  4. steve723

steve723 Member

I'll have to switch to windows to play it. I found that Space Engineers is now on gethub!
  5. steve723

steve723 Member

Snippit from POL file:

[1225/230728:ERROR:network_change_notifier_win.cc(168)] WSALookupServiceBegin failed with: 8
    Application could not be started, or no application associated with the specified file.
    ShellExecuteEx failed: Invalid parameter.

Install script executed.
    Process is terminated due to StackOverflowException.
  6. steve723

steve723 Member

I couldn't boot up normally due to a file system corruption. I had to use advanced boot options and select the upstart option. It discovered file corruption on the drive that SE is on and fixed it. I recently used win vista :eek: and it had to perform a file system repair. I don't think win can access Linux partitions but it sure looks suspicious. Now SE displays a blank screen with a blue mouse cursor and no sound. I switched to wine 1.8rc-4. Now I can get as far as selecting a new world, tutorials. It asks if I want to watch the videos. I say yes. it says it will open a browser yes or no. I can't select because it froze and nothing works!

POL log.

I had to use the skull and cross bones to kill the game.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2015
  7. steve723

steve723 Member

I saw this morning that POL had added 3 or 4 staging versions. I decided to try wine 1.8rc4wine staging. I waas able to play the first tutorial. Most of the displays were blank except for one and even then the entire room was dark. The sound was a bit stuttery. When I got to the part about using the wielder it didn't work. I told SE to save then the game crashed!

POL log:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2015
  8. booman

Home page:
    Some interesting Tips on WineHQ's
    May need these libraries:
    • dotnet40
    • vbrun6.
    • oleaut32.dll
    • mscoree.dll
    Make sure to disable the Steam Overlay though Wine 1.7.55 and later seems to have fixed this.
    I noticed your post on WineHQs...
    Since the game won't launch with DirectX 9 executable, have you found the config where you can set DirectX 9 as the default?
    Is there more than one executable?

Here is what I found:
    http://www.spaceengineersgame.com/troubleshooting.html

9. steve723

steve723 Member

I tried everything at wine HQ. I am trying to reinstall it right now as I added fontssmothRGB from POL as per the experimental POL script but that seemed to break the entire game. I couldn't find a way to undo so I deleted and tried to reinstall. Unfortunately Steam guard appears not to be sending the code even though it claims it is. I have to wait for Steam to realize their sever is glitched. I think I just need to find that replacement file that wine database talks about and then wait for wine to get a 64 bit dot net installer so we can use 64 bit to get rid of the file save game crashes.
  10. steve723

steve723 Member

The steam help desk now reports that the steam servers are under maintenance. Mabey that means they are finally fixing things... I hope.
  11. steve723

steve723 Member

Steam guard is working again and SE is downloading so should be able to get it working again in about 36 minutes.
  12. steve723

steve723 Member

Webhelper.exe works again but SE won’t run. I get the splash screen then it crashes.
  13. steve723

steve723 Member

The file you talked about did not appear in the quote. Why it didn't copy it I don't understand. If you don't remember then scroll up to see what you said.

That file does not exist.

Attached Files:

14. steve723

steve723 Member

mscoree is already in and set to native by default. wine 1.8rc4staging.
  15. steve723

steve723 Member

I got it working with wine 1.7.55. How do I handle the led blank display problem? I noticed in vRegeRender-DirectX11.log It says my video card is The NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 470 but its really the NVIDIA GEFORCE GT730. Could that be part of the problem?
  16. booman

Home page:
    so you could not find the spaceengineer.cfg?
    I bet the game has to successfully run at least once for the cfg to appear.
    After you launch the game one time, check here:
    /home/username/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/spaceengineer/drive_c/users/steve/appdata/roaming/Space Engineer/
    or
    /home/username/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/spaceengineer/drive_c/users/steve/appdata/local/Space Engineer/

Note: This path is for Win 7 setting

I've had a video card mismatch happen before. Every time I played Crysis II the game thought I had an older video card. I was never able to fix that problem.
  17. steve723

steve723 Member

I could never find that file no matter what win mode and path I tried. when I switched from win mode Vista to 7 Most of the LED panels now display. A few of them only activated after you walked around the room a bit. A couple of them would never display. Possibly because the wall was to close but that is just a guess. I got all the to the room where you use the drill to drill a tunnel between the rooms. I drilled to the other ramp but am stuck between the two ramps! I can't go up to complete the first tutorial. :mad:
  18. booman

Home page:
    Strange, it sounds really buggy with Wine... were you able to confirm if it is really launching a Direct X 11 executable?
    steve723 likes this.
  19. steve723

steve723 Member

I ran it again and more worked! I got to finish the first tutorial. I tried to start the second tutorial and ran out of memory. i hand to exit the game and restart to free up memory. A 32 bit wine prefix sucks. We need to be able to create a 64 bit prefix. Unfortunately the game needs dot net 4 so we will heave to just live with this crappy method for now. How much vram can 32 bit addressing goto anyway? Isn't it 2048 Megs?
  20. steve723

steve723 Member

I didn't see your post. I am not sure if it is using DX 9 or 11. I guess it could be an 11 problem. wine's directx 11 compatibility is there but it still sucks. Then again the wine devs are still fixing directx 9 every now and then. I think its just little tweaks like fix me's with Directx9 and below. With Directx 11 I think there is still a few major incompatibilities to fix. Some of the people on the wine forums are wrong when they say there is no Directx11 in wine. If you look you can see it is there. Its just not very good at the moment. wine has been growing since 1993. I am subscribed to the wine releases email, so I can see what is being worked on. I see lots of dx9 and earlier and some 10 and 11. No 12 yet but what game uses 12 yet? MY GT 730 can do Directx 12 but I have seen any one use 12 yet.