1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

StartOS / YLMF - Let the China plate break into you

Discussion in 'Installing Linux' started by Aremis, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Aremis

Aremis Member

StartOS / YLMF (YLMF when I knew it) was the first OS I ever used of linux at version 3. in 2010 what did we have? Broken everything and wine. No multi-monitors and too much failing RandR'ing.

NOW WE HAVE STUFF.

StartOS is a chinese made OS. It doesn't have a private proxy, though it is smart to look over what you are using before you jump right in.

It is downloadable as an i686 ISO from their website, so it is easy to see that this OS will work on anything from Pentium M to a vision 2 PRO, and boy do I love APU's.

If I like this enough I'll put it on my main laptop :3

Anywho the OS dev'd in china and is based off of ubuntu, sorta. FOr starts, the only ubuntu basis is that you install it through casper. Anymore the OS is it's own thing. YLMF 3 had it's own mods to the kernel to allow full use of all the hardware, though my assembly days are a bit past me, this hasn't changed by much.

StartOS doesn't use .deb or RPM files. Tar.GZ is available to use, but the company has made it's own package stream called YPK. Not many companies use this. Very few actually. The packages themselves are literally just repacked .deb's with a notification set inside of them that pings back to the company IF you register the OS with them. This sounds sketchy, sure, but they have claims that the system is for bug checking only, not for spying.

I don't think any of you will use the OS, but I thought that this Esoteric OS should have a spotlight somewhere other than DistroWatch.

I love it, personally, and I hope you guys make a virtual machine and play with it!
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Let us know what you think after installing it. Post some screens as well.
    I'm always curious about other distros.
  3. Aremis

Aremis Member

I only have one laptop with PAE though and it's getting archbang in the next few minutes (SO DAMNED PUMPED FOR IT SCREW DEBIAN). When I have vmware or virtual box going I will share.