1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam: First Time Setup -> crash

Discussion in 'WINE' started by Aremis, Jul 19, 2014.

1. Aremis

Aremis Member

OK, WELL, GOT SKYRIM TO INSTALL AND STEAM TO WORK, YAY. But now whenever I try to install a game and then actually play it, either I get the First Time Set Up BS and then the game crashes, or steam crashes completely without failure.

I am trying to move away from dual booting still. A lot of errors were fixed in FGLRX and I figured out that for heavy games, like skyrim, you need to turn off active debugging in WINE for the frame rate to not be trash.

Question is, how do I get it to stop being a 4 year old, and is there a way to install the different packages and making the games work.

Otherwise I'm just going to play Deus Ex for the next 8 years of my life.
  2. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I have personally not played Skyrim in Steam. But some general tips that are very important to remember when using Steam in Wine:

1) You must use WINE versions 1.6.2, or 1.7.8 or newer. Everything else will crash.

2) Disable Steam community in game. You can do this from Steam settings, or you can add a custom wine library called 'gameoverlayrenderer' and set it to disabled. If you do not disable the Steam community in game by using one of these methods, the game will crash.

Generally games require different setups to work and it tend to require a lot of trial and error. Checking the app database on WineHQ is helpful. Or you can check out the guides here on this website. For Skyrim, booman's guide should help.

Just browse through the Guides section of our forums and there is a good chance there is a guide for a game you are looking for.
    mrdeathjr28 likes this.
  3. Aremis

Aremis Member

Well thanks! I got skyrim to run and deus ex I know runs, but each game will take an hour or so to figure out how to make it run.
  4. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

It gets easier as time passes, really. It's kinda the price we have to "pay" if you are a gamer. (for now). The more you understand WINE logs and know how to tackle it, the better.
  5. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Yeah, same here. Some games run out-of-the-box and others like Magicka end up costing you many hours to get the configuration just right.'
    Hence our guides!
    We want to help gamers to avoid all of the headache and trial-n-error by giving you a step-by-step guide on how to install it.
    I'm sure you have noticed that our guides are all "manual" installations, we never use PlayOnLinux scripts.
    I have found a lot more success to manually installing games because I know exactly what I did the first time and exactly what was configured.
    If all the scripts worked every time, then "manual" installation would not be necessary, but the truth is... they don't
    Linux changes, games get updates/patches, libraries are changed or wine updates.
    Too much to keep track of...
    So when a game refuses to run, you can backtrack and try a different library, or display setting or wine version.

One thing to remember is AMD video cards can cause all sorts of errors and buggy symptoms because of the Linux drivers. You never know what you will get.
    99% of my success is because of Nvidia drivers and my GeForce card. I just got lucky because when I started using Linux, I already had a GeForce 550 Ti and didn't even know about the AMD driver issue.
    I have read that open source drivers for AMD cards is getting better and better.
    Feel free to post question and debugs here in the forum and we'll take a look.
    Can't guarantee every game will run, but we can try
  6. mrdeathjr28

mrdeathjr28 Active Member

For disgrace AMD have many problems especially on wine (on opensource seems have minor bugs but performance its too lower than same hardware on windows)

Other thing have relation with LLVM and lastest kernel, this situation hurts too much entry level users because LLVM and lastest kernel its possbile give problems because not come with distribution at begins, for this reasons many users of this drivers have use rolling distributions (Arch or others)

For this reasons sadly lastest opensource drivers can be used for a few users (for disgrace is a minority of linux gaming huge volume users, huge volume users stay with ubuntu and ubuntu derivatives), in this point propietary AMD driver go on better form

However if opensource AMD driver can solve this situation (shows improvements with regular kernel distribution and regular LLVM on distributions)

In my case stay waiting for 2016, for this time maybe AMD opensource stay on better form (hopefully with minor LLVM and lastest kernel dependency)

:)