1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tommorrow is moving day!

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by Daniel~, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    It's been really great here, but the time to move on has come!
    Tomorrow a a guy will come a 2 pm hook our trailer and move us well over 200 feet to our new location, We will be right on the banks of the Green river!

Under the deep shade of a Yu grove and surrounded by neighbors who are all helping hands.
    Quite to my surprise, My time here has been the happiest of my life. Even Patti's mood has markedly improved.

I'm thinking I really miss having a dog to tell me when to go outside. My cat always wants out but when he makes his big break he scares himself and sheepishly returns to my lap.

I wonder what the fishing is like in my river? I haven't been fishing in over fifty years.
    I fished with my Step father who never really became a father, perhaps why I never really became a fisherman.

But I have read "The River Why."

Perhaps you should read it as well. Then when you come to visit me we can all go fishing! ":O}

I may be out of touch for a few days to a week. Patti says she's told centurylink we are moving and to hook us up at the new site...but this never goes well for us. So no worries if I'm absent for a time.

This will be the first move where Patti can't yell at me! LOL

I intend to stay well hidden among the neighbors until the dust settles. ":O}
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Hope it goes smoothly. The map and you disagree as to where the Green River meets the White River, I think anyway. Whichever, keep your feet dry please.
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Can you just rev up the engine in the double-wide and go in reverse to the river?
  4. batmanm0b1e

batmanm0b1e Active Member

Hope you doing OK Daniel~. And the move went well for you.
  5. Gizmo

Gizmo Chief Site Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    His luck, he'd take his double-wide and accidentally turn it into a house boat, at least briefly. 3:)
  6. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Alas, any double wide was long ago,iirc. I think they lived in a single wide in Ravenswood. Their rent was raised dramatically so they needed a new place. It was a true saga moving out of the single wide, then into a fifth wheeler where they seem to be happy now.The new trailer next to the Green River has greatly reduced floor space, Patti had a very difficult time getting rid of things and knickknacks she accumulated over many years.

Dan likes their new parking space which is much closer to the river and it sports much more reliable power as well. I hope they both love their new spot!
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

How you doin' Daniel~? Hope your move went well, and maybe you have power again? Or did they take their sweet time with that? Miss you around here, hope your communication ability improves soon!
  8. booman

Home page:
    Where are you Daniel?
    How did the move go?
    Do you have a river-view out your front door now?
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    The move went well. I can sit in my bed and look out through the length of my 28 ft trailer and out our back window. Every evening the river goes from a pale glacier blue to the most spectacular shimmering golden, billions of flakes on the surface it seems.. The refractions off the moving waters look like billions of gold fish scales. It' is very bright, yet does not hurt the eye.

So much for the move and what lies within the power of man to correct.

As many of you have asked after my where abouts I shall hold forth on that topic!

Have any of you ever herd of century link? I suppose you have, but what you will never see nor hear of is decent century link service. Here's how they operate.

We call and tell them we are moving a week before I began this thread.
    No show. We call get another appointment for a week later, best they can do for me, even after blowing the first appointment.

Appointment comes and appointment goes but no hookup to be had.
    I borrow the neighbors phone and call again and am told that they didn't come because, and may God bless you if can believe this,

Because they couldn't reach me on the phone to confirm the appoint... for some reason my phone doesn't work! Now I remember! It because I won't have a phone until they install it.

I explain this to them as I would to a little child. They give me another appointment and I borrow my neighbors celly and await the confirmation call.
    No show, no call.

To make a long story short and messy The blow past 5 more appoints, My neighbor can no loner remember what his phone looks like, but remains kind and generous.

So the second to the last phone call, I was told that this particular no show arose from the fact that they somehow lost all my paper work! But that tomorrow someone would call from one of their teams of, and you just gotta love the use of the term "Expediters" who go out when things go bad.

Things went bad. They never called.

My last call to them, I suddenly gain some insight into what was really going on and when I told her what I thought the very nice lady I was talking to on the phone went silent,. We continued to talk but I feel she grew a bit afraid that "This call is being monitored to insure crowd control!

Heres what I know is true, but like Bill Marr I can't prove it.

When Patti first called they offered us twice the band with for 20 bucks more, I said sure and sealed our fate.

They were stalling us. We were waiting for a 100 megabit Modem to arrive "just in time" from China.

When ever I talked to them I had the worst connection of my life. My friend next door has Zero trouble with his phone,(Verison) So I easily imagine a small switch next to the phone operators phone. It's purpose is to replace every third syllable with static and sharp electronic noise.
    So they finally arrive! They do the do and then have to go out to the pole "To configure my modem."

But they never come back! They said to wait, but they never came back! So I spend the last 36 hours trying to figure out what everyone wants. Century link uses only vaguely similar terminology as Mint, lots of pure guess work, none of it going well. Then I tried using different cat 5 lines and I finally got back on line.

When I called them, they never did call me on the phone they insisted I must have EVERYTHING had to be repeated 5 or 6 times so I could guess what I was being told. Mind you this is my phone company that can't get a good connection.

So they botched 5 different appointments. What finally got the wire strung was that a crew foreman, The guy who came in and did the first Internet install here. Saw what was going on and called bullshit on the whole deal came out and got the wire strung,

Then he was suppose to return after they did the pole work and set me up...never came back.
    That was yesterday. I spent most of my time since trying to figure out how to get my computer to connect.

My PS3, and roku Self identified to the new modem, right off on Wifi. How humiliating then that my Computer could not be made to Internet the web stuff.Then it would not web the Internet unless I used a really cheapO cat 5 . Once I got that it was the cable, I stumble f***** my way into a working connection.

So how have youse guys getting by? ":O}
  10. Daniel~

Home page:
    If any feels qualified, I could use a tutorial on wifi- ing a computer.
  11. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I'm glad to read that you are enjoying your new view of the river. It sounds marvelous.
    I don't use a wireless hookup in my house 'cause it's a security nightmare. But I only need one PC connection and prefer hardwire.

This is too frustrating to handle well. But you are handling it with aplomb, deucedly well done! I use Century Link for basic, as in $60 per month phone service. I used them long ago for a Web hookup, it was OK service but S-L-O-W. They advertise "up to yadda" bandwidth and want me to try it. I HATE "up to" because it means NOTHING.
    Verizon gets many complaints so I can't recommend them for phone or Net service.

Sorry that Century Link is so unbelievably unreliable in your neighborhood and the runaround they KEEP subjecting you to is simply beyond belief. There's no earthly excuse! Thanks for saying howdy, it bites that you still have to use your tv's "connection" to the web.
  12. booman

Home page:
    Sounds like they gave you all the "run arounds" in the book!

We have Century Link in Arizona, but I avoid them because I always here the connection is bad. So I've been using Cox and the speed is AMAZING! but definitely costs us. Its always increasing and now we are paying $72 a month.
  13. Daniel~

Home page:
    To be clear...

I was able to stumble though the Wired hook up. But as I live in near isolation
    and in a very small space I wanted to try wifi. Both my PS3's simply grabbed it up. Same same with Roku.

I've tried copying the wired settings where feasible. But the terminology is so different from the information Century link gives you. So no more TV browsers for Dan Dan.

I think we pay a hundred and a 1/4. For phone, Internet, Netflix , hulu, HBO and cinamax.
    On the topic of bandwith, We had 50 but never saw above 30 in a speed test.

We jumped up to a hundred and, you guessed it! I went looking for my old friends in the speed test world of worries.":O}

A few hard to believe and extremely various results will now follow. While on the topic....
    These speed tests are absolutely the only bench marks I know of that give, a times, wildly differing results.

Yeah yeah, Internet vagueries and rush hour traffic yada yada...

About all I can say for sure is that 100 is faster than 50 and 30 is slower than 60...but is that a fast 30 or a slow 60...

Attached Files:

14. Daniel~

Home page:
    I may yet have the last word...depends weather they want their ,and my old, modem back.":O}
  15. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I hope that possession of that olde modem gives you some leverage, but they'll probably tell you to bring it in in person to their nearest retail store. Without doubt it's in your neighborhood!

79 Mbps download ain't at all bad. I'm lucky and get ~103 down--but it costs a fortune and a half. And the sad truth is that, as far as I can tell NOBODY pushes data to you at anywhere near that bandwidth. So I think that paying for Gigabit download bandwidth is insane.

In a way I'm sorry to see your TV web "access" go into the past--at least it worked! If wireless is important to you by all means go for it, but lock it down as best as you can and perhaps shutting it off when you won't need it for a while is a good idea. Yeah, easy for me to say when I don't have a seemingly tenuous grip on ye web.

Wave Broadband seldom loses its grip on that all important data stream, but I pay $180 per month for it. Let's get rid of Net Neutrality, it's SO unfair to Mr, err, Master Cable Inc. We dodged that bullet in the Senate by a whisker yet the Right thinking House of Representatives must also approve the last ditch effort to avoid sieg heil yer majesty and word is that it's doubtful that it will accede to more than 80% of the people's wishes. And would the Lump sign it too? Ajit Pai forever, he's such a Democratic chap.

Who, me pessimistic?

I'm happy that you like your new spot, the view of the river late in the day sounds magical.
  16. Daniel~

Home page:
    I did come across one or two that put me over the top at 105. The download figure is by far more consistent at 10. They aren't posted as I was tired (You can imagine!) and for some reason my screen shot apt decided to stop working. But me don't take no crap from lowly apps, I just took a quick reinstall from software manager

Moving right along.....

Trump. I really actually was able to forget about our national nightmare for 3 whole days towards the end of my isolation.

I appeal to my fellows to awaken. What will our country be once he is gone? He must go, it is literately him or our country. The dumb f*** has actually committed every kind of treason there is. We should all fall upon our faces and thank God that he is so stupid in carrying out his demented whims.

The asshole is counting on bigoted racist to "Rise again."
    My dear friends, we must be prepare to shoot back if they do!

Here is what we must remember, The color of my mothers skin is the absolutely the least important thing about her.! There is literately no other measure of a man or woman that is so meaninglessly shallow.."Only skin deep"..

SO that is who we will be dealing with as a nation. The dumbest most unthinking people alive.
    It breaks my heart is see people so impoverished as to not know who our oppressors are,,,and we ARE being Oppressed!

AND so are the Trump supporters. It's just that they are so God Damned stupid as to think a pig-like Trumpy
    gives two shits about them.

Mind you a lack of information is ignorance. They don't lack information. This is a choice they made and make
    in full position of the facts which are simple.

Stupid people don't like being stupid, everyone shits on the stupid.

Yet if we let them they will oppress us unimaginably.
    Think Cambodian genocide, think the middle East.

WE should love and care for the stupid. But Evil in the form of political greed and divisive bigotry almost always prevents the good we would do them..
    "Everywhere good men are oppressed and held in restraint from the good they would do us."

Trump must go if he takes the South and parts of the Midwest. with him, so be it.They had over a hundred years to repent the greatest evil man has ever perpetrated upon himself, slavery.

Is America the land of the free? We were founded by a belief in Genocide and a fierce commitment to slavery Hey what could be freer than slaughter ?

But the time has come for each of us to declare ourselves!

The Irish believe that Leprechauns were throw out of heaven, not because they were evil. But because feeling themselves to small to fight they hid under the steps of heaven while God and his Angles battled Satan for supremacy.

It is not enough for good men to be good. They must ,and this truly the hard part, Must stand for the good, shed blood their own or another's to see that innocence is protected and the right prevails.

I believe that our youth sense this. Sense that we are riding on the breaking wave of change.
    We must get our ors wet and pull, pull for all we are worth if we are to reach that far shore where the culmination of all that we are will move out of the oceans deep and express itself, either in love or in hate the battle will be joined.For the reat ocean of man's emotions will have come ashore with us.

If the good prevails there will be no blood shed. But if the battle must rage...pity those who would harm all mankind just to further their own, as we put them under the ground.

In this all good men must grow resolute, there are more important things than life to be defended.

What can be a sadder fate than for a basically good man than to see the Good prevail and know he had no part in that victory?

That he hid away in fear of losing and so lost your personal battle to stand with the angels and defend the good and the beautiful.

Not even the steps to heaven can hide such a diminished soul. Imagine telling The great maker that he made a mistake in his coloring book so YOU decide to tear out the pages YOU didn't like.

Life is serious life can get grave and the grave will surly take your life. The outcome always known to us.

"We are climbing Jacobs ladder."

We are trying to transcend a bloody and cruel past. We are trying to rise above. And we have only love to guide us. Those who do not love have no guidance.

So keep your powder dry and grid yourselves for BATTLE! Good men and women everywhere are counting on you. For it is in your hearts that victory lies.If we can stand together we can walk in peace.

"We shall return to that unknown yet remembered gate and know it for the first time."
    (Probably a misquote from T.S. Elliot.)

The thing about the circle of life, it isn't always easy to tell what is ending and what is only at it's most germinal beginnings. For the two always meet and mingle.

"You may be rich
    You may be poor
    But when the lord gets ready
    Ya gotta move,"

My how I do o on! LOL

17. Daniel~

Home page:
    Why does no one listen to me!! LOL
    Your paying way to much!!!

Look it's really simple and easy to cut that figure nearly in half and end up with more access by far than you have now.

Get a Roku streamer today. Here's my bill, roughly, not to the penny...

One time purchase of Roku, their best, $99.00

Hulu, $10.00 a month with another $3.00 charge to eliminate ALL TV ads. Hulu carries almost all of television, some of it waits out the season and gives it to you all at once. Some just a day later episode by weely episode. A lot of it is right on time with the Networks,you see it when they do. Hulu is also producing series like The Handmaidens tale, rave reviews and Patti's is addicted

Cinamax $7.00 a month

HBO $15.00 a month

Netflix, not sure, $15 or $20 a month but I think it's $15 a month

Stars is $6.00 a month

I asked Patti and she says we pay LESS than a $125 a month, with our Centurylink bandwidth included.

I can tell you we have more access than ever before and are paying less than ever before.AND! My eyes are never offended by the pimps of advertising who are really preforming a service by interrupting the entire world every 15 mins,

Dude! You've helped me out in the past let me send you a Roku and improve your vision, Please! Send me you home addy and I'll get it you in a under a week...maybe...LOL

Really George you OWE it to me to let me do this for you. After all I let let you help me.":O}
    Last edited: May 18, 2018
  18. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I'm a blabbermouth in that I diss the PTB at nearly every opportunity. But I try to make the current crimes against humanity clear for us to see. Perhaps there are so many, dealt out like a blackjack dealer every scary second, that cataloging them is too difficult to do. Evil prowls the land like the wave of madness that it is.

I won't let it go unremarked, and resisting it within the shrinking scope of the ever narrowing Bill of Rights becomes much more difficult by the day. Authoritarian rule of any brand is unacceptable. They know it in their bones. And crunch our bones in the attempt to forget the true monsters that they are.

They probably don't in reality dodge the evil they spread from sea to shining sea. Evil people DON'T think they are evil.
    Rising up to defeat them with force is no longer possible, imho. Can a spiritual revolution do the difficult task? I pray it can.
  19. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I don't think you can afford a Roku for me. Thank you very much for the thought! I no longer watch live tv. It's awful. I really like "Better Call Saul"- season three is up on Netflix. Or was recently. Netflix becomes worse by the day. Most of their self produced shows bite imo.
    They offer less and less good movies, ugh.

Yes, I'm paying too much. And I did notice your recommendation of Roku long ago. Thank you for that!
    Last edited: May 19, 2018
  20. Daniel~

Home page:
    George... Your willing to give me help, but not accept mine?

I know you mean well, but that is rather insulting. I Trusted you to know what help you could give me without harming yourself. Please afford me the same courtesy.

I'm now in a position where I can make such an offer. The time of darkness has passed and the new time which is hard on the threshold seems all the more beautiful now that darkness has past.

Send me your addy and don't give me no crap about it. When you help someone you enter into their debt as surly as they enter yours. Giving and taking and the right to give our take must be kept in balance if no harm is to occure.

This by no means means this must be a strict accounting or that all things must be made equal.

But any such arrangement of help must consider the needs of both the giver and the receiver.

First among those needs is that both parties, giver and receiver be seen as equals.

If you refuse my gift you impoverish me.If you allow me to give as well you inrich me.