1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Up and running again

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by Daerandin, Apr 25, 2014.

1. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I've spent a couple of hours now installing Arch again, and setting up all the basic stuff like time synchronization, policy kit and a few systemd services to start on boot. I actually held off on installing xorg-server for a long time, just installing packages and fixing config files from console.

Today I will complete setting up Xfce with the themes I like. After that I only have less important stuff left, such as setting up cups for my printer, installing games.

I decided to go for two 15gb partitions for testing other distros. Having a bit of extra space will be useful in case I want to keep using a test distro for a while, and also for testing games.
  2. allenskd

allenskd Active Member

Pretty neat! Personally, I don't think I'll be setting up a test distro partition, that stage is over for me. I think the only thing that's left for me is using a LVM set up and that's not going to happen for a while. (until I buy my next computer parts and build another PC)
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    And now Debian is installed as well. I chose the expert mode install, and chose to not install any bootloader. After rebooting I just ran grub-mkconfig from Arch, with os-prober installed. It automatically detected and added a menu entry for Debian. This got me thinking, I might steer away from testing any Distro that only have a fully automatic installation, because such distros are likely to take control of the EFI partition and install their own bootloader.

For my Arch I system I have found a slightly different theme. It looks great, except for the PlayOnLinux window. But PoL use wxpython for the GUI, which might explain that it is not so compatible with the theme I am using. Still, it is just a minor problem and it does not bother me. Everything else is looking great.