1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why use PlayOnLinux?

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by booman, Jan 17, 2013.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    PlayOnLinux is a graphical user interface that manages Wine and all the commands & scripts that Wine supports.
    Not only that, but also stores all the successfully tested scripts for automating the installation of your game.
    Basically, PlayOnLinux installs your game with ease!
    Then you can tweak some of the Display, Mouse Lock & Windows packages on the fly.
    There have been many instances where I have installed a game with the default script found in PlayOnLinux and I didn't have to install anything extra. Just install and play!
    Other games are more complicated and require DirectX, Dot NET Framework, Visual C, XNA, Steam and more Windows Packages & DLL's.
    But I highly recommend you install all of these ahead of time in the Default PlayOnLinux virtual drive so you already have all the Windows Packages downloaded and saved in your "resource" folder.
    So next time you install a game, you won't have to download these packages again.

PlayOnLinux has proven to be an excellent testing ground too!
    You can install any version of Wine, old or new, right there in PlayOnLinux with a few clicks.
    So now you can try your game with different versions of Wine and see which one produces the best results.
    Have fun with PlayOnLinux and feel free to ask questions!

PlayOnLinux
    WineHQ

Attached Files:

• pol.png
      pol.png
      File size:
      12.3 KB
      Views:
  2. booman

Home page:
    I have been spending most of the day browsing the PlayOnLinux news pages. They really have put a LOT of effort into developing PlayOnLinux and offering it for free!
    Its amazing because without their efforts I don't think I would have as much success and ease playing my Windows Games.
    I really think we should come up with a nice donation to thank them.
    I see a lot more potential for growth with Windows games and future Linux games with PlayOnLinux and Wine.

Thank You PlayOnLinux
    Thank You Wine
  3. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    No Wine and POL and I'd be forever lost to my PlayStation...not the kind of world we want to live in is it!?
  4. booman

Home page:
    yup, and I would be paying for every Windows release and totally at the mercy of Microsoft.
  5. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    For me it's Linux, Playstation or bust. Me and windows is quits. ":O}
  6. booman

Home page:
    I don't mind playing games in Windows. They run really well, but I've always felt that the Operating System shouldn't cost us any money.
    The hardware? YES
    The Software? YES

I've always felt that Operating Systems should be free so we can use the computer we built. Otherwise its just sitting there totally useless. I've really come to this conclusion with installing and reinstalling Windows. Those stinking KEY's and all the frustration keeping track of them.
    If someone gives me an old computer I need the Windows KEY or its useless for me to give it away. The majority of people know how to use Windows and thats it.
    Just tired of Keys, activations, money money money
    Its not supposed to be this way.