1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WINE or PoL - or both?

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by skywave, Jul 19, 2013.

1. skywave

skywave New Member

Howdy folks,
    I'm new here - came over from a thread link in the LinuxMint forum.
    I have just installed LM15 - and I am VERY pleased with it (been MS for decades so LM15 looks very familiar in the works)
    My main item for trying out LM is to play MMOs. I currently play SWTOR.

So my Q is: do I install WINE or PlayOnLinux - or both?
    As far as I can see in other threads here it looks to me that I only need to install PoL?

Next Q: will there be any other tweaks and stuff to do - apart from installing PoL - before I can make SWTOR work? (like packages and etc. to be downloaded - and to where?)

Cheers,
    Henri from Luxembourg
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Welcome Henri/skywave!

You can install both Wine and POL by using "Software Manager" in your main Menu in "administrative" Once you install POL You will have a TOTAL choice of Wines (See picture below)

You can certainly get detailed help with your game here! I'll let Booman introduce himself and lead you forward from this point (far better at this than I am! ":O}

(Booman is on his way here now! ":O}

Attached Files:

3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Oooh, Star Wars huh? I havn't tried that one yet. I tried to stay away from MMO's for a long time until I tried Drakensang and now I love them! Notice I have Guides for Drakensang, Neverwinter and League of Legends?
    So far Drakensang is the fastest and easiest to play.

Yeah, PlayOnLinux requires at least an initial Wine install then you never have to touch it again.
    From there you install PlayOnLinux and then use it to tryout/test different versions of Wine.
    Its pretty cool and very flexible.
    If you follow some of my Guides you'll see that most of them walk you through installing Wine with PlayOnLinux in the beginning.
  4. skywave

skywave New Member

Hi Daniel and Booman,
    Alright - just installed WINE, PoL, winetricks and qt4
    OK so I use PoL from hereon - but the problem is I'm pretty blank on how to start.
    I only play SWTOR.
    I have it on the original 3 CDs from EA which I can copy paste into a directory in LM if needed. On windows I normally download the latest game directly from SWTOR.
    So my first problem is how to install the game and how to 'link' it to the PoL.
    Very confusing :confused:
  5. skywave

skywave New Member

I'll have a look at some of your tuts...
  6. skywave

skywave New Member

alright I followed your tutorial in Drakensang - currently at the winetricks dot NET installation - picked the dotnet11 and dotnet11sp1 and clicked OK - but popup tells me its not compatible with 64bit
  7. skywave

skywave New Member

ok - I did not manage to install any of the dotnet packages - they all reported back that they are not 64 bit compatible - so I finished off by installing mono.
    right now I'm in the progress of installing SWTOR from a network folder - I'll report back if it succeeds :)
  8. skywave

skywave New Member

nope - no luck - game wont load - trying to install different packages via PoL
  9. Daniel~

Home page:
    Most often a game will run fine in 64 or 32bit. But dotnet won't install to 64. Sometimes Mono 210, 26, 28 will work instead.

Don't Give up! Booman has a lot more experience with this than I do. If all else fails, install it as a "Install a non listed program". Click o it.

( Select install, then at the very bottom of the 1st page you will see "Install a non listed program".

This will let you choose a 64 OR a 32 bit virtual drive, pick 32 bit, then all the 32 bit components will work for you.

The trick here is knowing which 32 bit Components to install... that's when I call on the Booman! ":O}

If you watch a 64 bit install you can get some of the installed components you will need in 32 bit as they install.

But often they don't show you everything that's being installed by POL. Good luck! Keep checking back here.

If you want this game others will to! So it's very much in our interest to get it running for you! ":O}
  10. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I ended up starting a whole new thread just for Star Wars: The Old Republic in PlayOnLinuxWe'll have to work on it together and do the trial-n-error ourselves
  11. Daniel~

Home page:
    I'll just tag along and see how things go...":O}