1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wine test submission regected?

Discussion in 'WINE' started by booman, Mar 22, 2013.

1. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Looks like WineHQ regects any game submission if you are using PlayOnLinux

Seriously? So I have to use Stictly Wine by its-self to prove a PC Game works?
    PlayOnLinux uses Wine and actually makes installing and running games easier.
    Wine by its-self is a pain in the artichoke!!!
    I will never go back to Wine when we have PlayOnLinux.
    That really sucks, so I guess I'll just have to "not mention PlayOnLinux" when submitting a test result.

I don't get it, how bad do they want Linux to be successful in the gaming world if they regect a success test result?
    I'm a bit confused and discouraged... Not cool!
    :?
  2. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    your talking to Wine Devs...what do you expect? They refine Wine so wine can refine POL. They have to stay on topic to get anything done. They HAVE to limit their "Experiment" to obtain reliable results. If wine doesn't work POL isn't going to pop either.

If wine does work, then POL has a reliable foundation and can slip us smoothly into our games. When you think about it Wine needs to be wine and just wine, before Crossover, wine tricks and POL can enter the game.

I mostly think of Wine as the Tool my tools use and leave it at that. ":O}
  3. booman

Home page:
    Yeah I understand that...
    If I memorize all the Wine commands for installing prefixes, packages and configurations it wouldn't be a problem for me, but how can we expect everyone else to do that?
    PlayOnLinux is a perfect interface that does it for you! Thats why I LOVE it!

Its like trying to compare DOS to Win 95
    Everyone liked NOT using the command line to run their games (even though most of them still required it)

When I follow a tutorial on running a game in Wine its almost impossible.
    So much of it requires the command line.

If it wasn't for 3rd party wrappers like PlayOnLinux, I probably would have given up on PC Games in Linux again.
    I wish the Wine devs had their own graphical wrapper that allowed for multiple prefixes, bottles or whatever you want to call them.
    Winetricks can do it, but have you seen the list of games? small, very small

Anyways, Wine should get all the credit for allowing PC Games to run in Linux, but its really hard to give them credit for ease-of-use.
    PlayOnLinux fixed that and now we have a huge growing list of games that work great in Linux. Just like it was meant to be!
  4. Daniel~

Daniel~ Chief BBS Administrator Staff Member

Home page:
    Like I said Dude! Your talking to Devs! They LIVE for Command line, for them, command line is, I suspect the real game to be played. Your spot on about the user trying to launch games in Wine. As far as I'm concerned thats POL job, Crossover and Winetricks are really just there to keep POL on it's toes.

And from what I've seen in the last year ....POL IS on it's toes and bringing more games into my reach in Mint 14 every day!
  5. booman

Home page:
    Exactly!
    The only reason I install Wine the first time is to just have it and the respective directories.
    Otherwise, I use PlayOnLinux for all the Wine testing.

PlayOnLinux ROCKS!!!