1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Of Warcraft On Linux

Discussion in 'PlayOnLinux' started by Cainey411, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Cainey411

Cainey411 New Member

Hello again,
    Here Is another one for you, I was informed that World of Warcraft had not been done for the site yet, so here we go.

I would like to say sorry in advance I was starting to need sleep by the time I did this last night.
    Hope you enjoy, any questions please ask.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Awesome! Its great to other ways to install games with PlayOnLinux. Very nice guide.
    So World of Warcraft only runs on d3dx11, gecko and physx?
    Normally I install d3dx9 at least.

Doesn't gecko automatically install when you install Wine?
  3. Cainey411

Cainey411 New Member

I'm happy you like It, Geko Installed with wine I'm not sure on that one but I will be looking In to It for my own records.
    In stalling WoW with d3dx11 Is what I use but I do Know that It runs with any other version.

I have a couple more videos coming soon but I have a lot of work on right now so this Is going to be In the next 2 weeks or so.

Thanks
  4. booman

Home page:
    No hurry, take your time.
    Are you interested in doing screenshot guides or just video guides?
  5. mintfresh

mintfresh New Member

I know this question is a year late (new to Linux), but I've not had a lot of luck installing Warlords of Draenor on LM17 Cinnamon. Actually, no luck whatsoever.

Somehow managed to get the game running a couple days ago using only Wine v1.7.30, but the graphics were horrendous, despite turning all the settings down to either 'low' or 'disable' in-game - flashing screen, the ground was in bright purple and green grid format, rather than looking like actual ground (lawn, etc.).

Returned to find a solution to the problem again this morning and found your video, which is the first helpful thing for LM newcomers that I've come across in 2 days of searching, so thank you!

My question is: I don't know what my "video memory size" is or where to find it in order to complete setting up PlayonLinux.

Sys Info:
    LM17 Cinnamon
    Cinnamon Version 2.2.16
    Linux Kernal 3.13.0-24 generic
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8400@2.66GH x 4
    Memory 3.9 GiB
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT - using Nvidia 331.38-Oubuntu 7.1 as recommended by the driver manager.

Is the answer somewhere in that lot? Sorry for being such a Linux noob!
  6. booman

Home page:
    The first problem is your 9400GT is a bit old. I'm surprised there are still updated drivers for it.
    That card should still be able to handle World of Warcraft because it was developed for a variety of hardware in mind.
    But yeah, you may have to stick with lower settings. Specially since the Wineserver runs in the background eating up CPU's processing power.
    Memory size isn't a huge deal, you can actually set it higher than the amount you have. Try searching online for your video card and see if you can find the exact one you have. Sites like Newegg.com can tell you how much memory you have.
    Also, look in the Nvidia Manager and it will probably tell you as well.
    Another trick that can take a while to search is:
    1. Open Terminal: Ctrl+Alt+T
    2. Type: lshw
    This will list all of the hardware specs for your computer. The video card is there somewhere...

The strange colored ground and textures can be direct x related.
    You could try installing other d3dx packages and see if they help.
    Also try searching WineHQ's for World of Warcraft Warlords of Draenor to see if anyone else has experienced these symptoms.
  7. mintfresh

mintfresh New Member

Thank you, Boo. Yes, the 9400GT isn't much chop anymore and I'm using the 340.58 driver for it which seems to help, but I really just need to bite the bullet and buy a new graphics card.
  8. booman

Home page:
    That would be your "best bet"
    Just make sure to get another GeForce card. I've heard the GeForce 750 Ti is a rockin card and affordable.
  9. mintfresh

mintfresh New Member

Yes, found that one this morning and it seems to have good reviews. Cheers :)
  10. booman

Home page:
    IF you get it, please post your PlayOnLinux/Wine results here. I'm curious how well it works. I'm thinking of getting one myself
  11. mintfresh

mintfresh New Member

Will do.

I really know diddly squat about pc's but here's the site I'm looking at - near the top of the page you'll see a link to "view range of gaming desktop systems": http://www.linuxnow.com.au/dsintro.html#gamingdesktops

I've been following your youtube guide for installing WoW and it all seems to go smoothly until I get to the 'run .exe file on this virtual drive"....then the launcher says 'play', but when it opens WoW, it hangs and then launcher suddenly says 'update'...so I hit 'update' and it opens WoW again...and it hangs again while the launcher - again - goes back to saying 'update' - ad infinitum.

Once or twice, I've actually managed to get into the game (absolutely no idea how) but it takes me to an EU server - but all my toons are on Oceanic.

it's really beginning to do my head in....
  12. booman

Home page:
    When I get frustrated at a game in Wine/PlayOnLinux, I'll just go to a different game. Then try it later with a new version of Wine.
    Sometimes it will work happily, or fail again. You never know what you are going to get.

sometimes its just driver related. You'll update a video driver and whalla, it works!
  13. mintfresh

mintfresh New Member

Just "like a box of chocolates", you mean?

Age of Mythology works fine, though.

Perhaps it's because I was trying to install the game via saved WoW folders from when I kicked Microsoft out of my pc and installed LM17 - perhaps I'm supposed to just download the whole 30GB from battlenet again in order for it to work properly.

Either way, I'm giving my head a rest from the problem for now - garrisons be damned! ;)
  14. booman

Home page:
    Kinda, for the most part, any direct x 9 game runs really well.

I would hate for you to download all 30 Gigs again and it still doesn't work.
    That is a risk you will have to take.
    On the other hand, I have backed up games from Steam and restored them many times. Even in PlayOnLinux. Never had problems. I don't know exactly how you can migrate WOW game files to another computer, so there is a chance something is missing.