1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another Adobe Flash security assininity

Discussion in 'Random Nonsense' started by cloasters, Jun 19, 2016.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

A bad security bug in Flash discovered yesterday. Should I use the Adobe update for ubuntu--for Mint?
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    If you are using Chrome, flash player/plugin updates all by its-self. If you are using Firefox or any other Internet Browser, go to http://www.adobe.com and download the updated Flash, install, done
  3. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    I primarily use Firefox, but without flash. There are very few websites that require flash. For those few websites that do require flash am I using Chromium with the pepperflash plugin which has full support unlike the Linux adobe flash plugin. As booman says, Chrome (not the open source Chromium) has flash built in, so that is another option.

Flash in itself is a huge security hole in my opinion. A lot of localising data can easily be obtained about you if you have flash enabled in your browser, which is why I do not use it at all for my primary browser.
    booman likes this.
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thanks for the replies, booman and Daerandin.
    I imagine that there's no easy way to remove Flash from Firefox. Is this a true story?
  5. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    Flash is a separate package from Firefox. No problem at all to remove it. Look in your package manager, or:

Code:
    sudo apt-get purge adobe-flashplugin
    should do it.
  6. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you very much, ThunderRd! If I execute the command line command that you've posted, won't it remove Flash from Chrome--as well as Firefox? I just want to rid Firefox of the ugmo Flash capability. It seems to do far less harm in Chrome than in Firefox?
  7. ThunderRd

ThunderRd Irreverent Query Chairman Staff Member

Home page:
    I don't rightly know the answer to your question. Daerandin says that Flash is 'built in' to Chrome. I can't confirm or deny that since I don't use Chrome. If it is built in as he says, then I would think that removing the package would not affect Chrome.

I'm not sure why it would be more secure in one browser than another. Flash is Flash, no matter where it is. I could be wrong about that, though.

I would try what I posted above, then try out both of your browsers and see if there is any missing functionality that you need. If there is, you can always install it again. There's no harm done.

FWIW, I haven't used the Flash plugin for ages, and don't miss it.
  8. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    Chrome will not be affected as Chrome has pepperflash bundled with the browser itself.
  9. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you ThunderRd and Daerandin very much for your rapid assistance with my little problem. I'll give ThunderRd's command line entry a try.
    Crudoleum, I didn't post this yesterday. I used the command line entry that ThunderRd so kindly provided. Worked really well! Thank you both for your help!