1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World of Warcraft Guide - HARDMODE

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Aremis, Sep 19, 2014.

• by Aremis, Sep 19, 2014 at 8:50 PM
  • Aremis

Aremis Member

In Reference of Deus Ex Guide: http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/deus-ex-goty-guide-hardmode.778/

---------------------------------------

I noticed that the most of anything about installing WOW on linux is a 2 year old post in the POL threads.

So, here we are again. The hardmode guide of installing World Of Warcraft.

If you haven't seen my first guide of setting up wine for games in my Deus Ex GOTY guide, then I am basically going to copy half of that guide to here as that WINE set up just bloody works for every game I have ever played in linux.

Current Specs:

Arch Linux 09.02.2014 (when I installed at least)
    5 GB Ram
    APU: AMD E2 VISION = AMD E630 1.65 GHZ dual dore processor & ATI HD 6250 Wrestler
    1366 x 768
    Poor support for AA and SA
    Plaxion of gems and room for a pony (310 GB HDD)

-----------------------------------------

First thing w are going to do it set up wine.

Assuming you already have wine installed and up to date (If not do
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install wine 
    OR
    Code:
     sudo pacman -S wine 
    ) then we need to select the packages needed to run World of Warcraft.

Here is a list of the packages you will need to select in the library tab in wine (seen below).

[​IMG]
    Select from this dropdown
    [​IMG]

Code:
    d3d8
    d3d9
    d3d10
    d3dx9_36
    d3dx9_37
    d3dx9_38
    d3dx9_39
    d3dx9_40
    d3dx9_41
    d3dx9_42
    d3dx10_36
    d3dx10_37
    d3dx10_38
    d3dx10_39
    d3dx10_40
    d3dx10_41
    d3dx10_42
    d3dcompiler_36
    d3dcompiler_37
    d3dcompiler_38
    d3dcompiler_39
    d3dcompiler_40
    d3dcompiler_41
    d3dcompiler_42
    dsound
    dmusic
    msvcm80
    msvcp100
    msvcp80
    msvcr100
    msvcp80
    xinput1_4
    Tedious but hey, WE WANNA GO RAIDING :D

It is also good practice to make sure wine is in Windows 7 Mode.

After that Hubub, don't really worry about sound settings. If you're comparing the Deus Ex guide to this one as a reference then skip over sound settings. WOW uses a direct line system whilst Deus Ex had it's own engines for absolutely everything.

So cool, noe we have all of that blub. Wonderful. Now go download the WOW launcher.

As in windows, all you need to do is just start the launcher in WINE and it should run.

When you start the game you should stay at the character screen and fiddle with the settings. It is well worth it to test each setting for your graphics card / driver to see what works best.

For me personally I have to set graphics to be ok in general then I can set draw distance to whatever I feel like.

Now play the game. Simple.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  • Categories:

Comments

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Aremis, Sep 19, 2014.

1. booman
    Can you add the steps to install and launch World of Warcraft for those noobs out there?
    Aremis likes this.
  2. Aremis
    As I noted in the edit note, when the visual tools are fixed in arch I will post them. With visuals come the notes with them.
  3. booman
    Cool, didn't see the note at the end. Thanx!
  4. Aremis
    Also those pics will be added in about an hour when I get home for the day.
  5. Daerandin
    There are quite a lot of screenshot programs available in the Arch repos, some related to desktop environments, other are not. So if one does not work properly, it should be fairly easy to find another.

There really is not much point in adding Arch Linux version, since the install media you use for installing Arch does not affect your installed system. Every package you install is downloaded during install, so you always have the "current" Arch Linux, which really is the only version beacuse of the rolling nature of Arch.
  6. Aremis
    I only added that because I was asked to be rther specific in my Deus Ex Guide.
  7. booman
    I forget that Arch is a rolling distro. So just put Arch and don't worry about the version.
    I put the Mint version because I'll be using it for about a year... maybe longer.
    Thanks guys
    Aremis likes this.
  8. plazma
    and how about alt+tab ? did you try alt+tab sometime it freeze the game.
  9. Aremis
    I don't really play WoW on a serious level but I have never had it crash.

If it crashes for you then send me your crash and I'll add it to the guide.
  10. plazma
    after severals months i tried wow again but there is a white screen problem.. and some research about it generally intel driver issue but i have nvdia card :)
    Aremis likes this.
  11. Aremis
    You should check your drivers. What card do you have and what happens when you start the game? Direct to white screen?
  12. plazma