1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Weekly Quake

Discussion in 'General Linux Discussion' started by Aremis, May 28, 2017.

1. Aremis

Aremis Member

We're in a weird spot now where old games are coming back. RTS has resurfaced with Brood War getting repopularized, the never ending SNES fanboy games, and then theres Quake. The new Quake Champions is a call back to the true competitive scene of Quake that people may or may not have seen. With slight tweaks, the basic game has gone from a panicky scramble to get resources and stomp to a more modern style of game.

ITT I want to talk about quake every once in a while. Every time a major update happens, or what the major exploit or bug is during the week, and have general discussion. I'll post updates in this first post and label the date with it. Like a newspaper.

So enjoy.

=====================================================================

May 28, 2017

So I played some of the beta a week ago. There were many problems with netcode and getting everything to run nicely on top of it only working in windows 10 (I had many other problems at the time with my PC in windows). The netcode was mostly broken, which was surprising given how much of this game is based on perfect timing, and the weapons are pretty lackluster with only 7 being available. Gauntlet, MG, Shotty, LG, RL, Nailgun, and Railgun. I don't really know if they are going to add any more. What about the Plasma Gun? Minigun? Heavy MG? Nail Shotty? Nuke Launcher? Does the Nail Gun replace the Plasma because they have similar mechanics?

You also get 3 starter weapons to spawn with, those being a small MG, small Shotty, and Small Nailgun with super variants each. They aren't bad to start with and even in Duel I have held my own with JUST a sm shotty for 5 minutes because I couldn't get pickups via lag, but the pickups are worth getting.

I'm not excited to see Faze or Cloud9 try to dry hump the money out of this game at release. It'll be really really annoying I think. And with the current game modes, no server browser, failing netcode..... I can see this being a failure at launch easily. On the positive side though, the quake community have really chilled out since I have played.

The last I played quake was Q3 in 2008. We only just got broadband in 2014 so I was on dialup a lot if I was playing Quake. Rarely would I be able to play a real game of quake so most of the time I was playing on the QLRace and low bandwidth rail servers. But I am happy to see it stay true to form in its new release.

I recently got Quake Live and at the moment I think its more worth the time to go play that until some real content gets put in the game. Apparently the main dev on QC is the guy who made the awful mistakes and got thrown out of the dev team on Quake Live. I don't know his name but I could retrieve it off of the Something Awful forums.

So.... Play it? I wouldn't. I'd rather play Quake 3 on my powerpc mac when I can get it fixed and find a disc or play quake live as I am now. But we'll watch the beta go along till release.

Q: What is the biggest thing that I don't like about the game now?

A: I can't play as Uriel. I may be one of few that used Uriel as their player model, but I always have since 2004/5. Even in live. When Uriel is added into Champions expect my interest to skyrocket.

Q: What feels bad in the mechanics?

A: Strafe jumping feels like I'm trying to pull a wet pancake by the very edge to the side of the plate. If you screw up at all you lose all your speed and its nearly impossible to go in a different direction via jump drift. Theres no way to change direction unless you take 1 or 2 steps in a stop to change but you lose half of your momentum.... Its a mess.

Q: What do you want added right now?

A: Nuke Launcher, Lost World, Black Cathedral, Uriel, Instagib, Race, and a server browser.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I insist on a BFG. In ALL games.
    Aremis likes this.
  3. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    I've always loved the Quake franchise! Not for the multi-player but for the single-player campaigns. I love the original Quake the best with its gothic-slum level design, spooky lighting and disgusting creatures. I know the franchise really revolves around sci-fi themes, but those levels were GREAT!
    I loved playing through Quake 4 campaign as well. Nice that it runs natively in Linux too.

I hope Bethesda eventually decides to make an open-world campaign where you can follow a story or go on your own and clear out castle ruins full of minions. Just a wish... thats all
  4. Aremis

Aremis Member

Bethesda? Listen to users? Pfff you're a dreamer :p
  5. booman

Home page:
    I know, but still... the big games out are open-world like Fallout 4, Mad Max, Tom Clancy's Division....
    Bethesda knows what will sell, but Quake isn't really the "big thing" anymore.
    Doom was revived after 10 years, so I hope they would like to revive Quake as well.
  6. Aremis

Aremis Member

Theres 30000 people in the beta and more people bitching that they can't get in. Even quake live is getting players again. Its amazing.

If this could happen with TF2 and the PSP modding scene I would be happy forever.

Oh and powerpc macs.
  7. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

I loved the original Quake. However, to be honest I would not have completed it or QII without cheat codes. Or any game. I are just not good at gaming. I give the crown to the original Half-Life, it went on forever. Perhaps the beauty of the first H-L is that you could not win--or should I say that I usually chose to save the others, as best as is possible.
  8. Aremis

Aremis Member

Well I hardly kept this weekly but I had things get in the way.

As an update here, we now have Quake Champions in beta! It seems to be very popular now. 30 bucks to buy but also free to play! Very exciting.
  9. booman

Home page:
    No problem :)
    What is the benefit to buying instead of just free-to-play?
  10. Aremis

Aremis Member

Well for one you get all the content they release and tourney viewing in game access. So no redistributor bullshit. On top of that your bug reports get top listed so thats nice. Other wise you can play for free with anarki whoever the slipgate soldier guy is and one of the other people thats a tank.
  11. booman

Home page:
    Very nice, is it a subscription or just a one time payment?
    I always prefer to play-for-free...
    Oh and... is there a Linux client yet?
  12. Aremis

Aremis Member

One time only.

Pretty nice bonus lol. Its supposed to get a vulkan port, but its OpenGL based so it shouldn't be amazingly difficult to make it work ok.
  13. booman

Home page:
    Awesome! I'll keep my eye on it for now... may try it out as things develop.
    Aremis likes this.
  14. Aremis

Aremis Member

Its not as good as live in my opinion. I hate what they changed with deathmatch and dual. Not even QLJump is the same. They really kinda fucked it up in standard bethesda fashion. Its a wait and see thing at this point.
  15. booman

Home page:
    I heard QuakeLive was great with full Linux support...
    I later tested it in PlayOnLinux and it ran really well.
    Aremis likes this.