1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Driver problem for Samsung M-1210 printer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cloasters, Aug 27, 2020.

1. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Hi goils and bois, I can't install what appears to be the right driver for my old Samsung ML-1210 printer.

I have to renew my driver's license and must do it online because the DMV is closed to actual people 'cause of Covid 19. I need a working printer to do so. I would greatly appreciate some help with this. Running Linux Mint 19.1.
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    booman likes this.
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Hey Cloasters,
    This could be a difficult one. Newer printers should work out-of-the-box with Linux, but older printers can be hit-n-miss.
    I have an old Epson scanner and Daerandin helped me install the drivers and it actually worked, but since then I've done a fresh install of Mint and now the drivers don't work.
    There is a chance you can download drivers from Samsung if Linux is supported, otherwise there may be community supported drivers. I'll do some research and see what I can find.
  3. booman

Home page:
    All I could find is a driver from a 3rd party website... not sure if it is legit or not?
    https://samsung-drivers.net/samsung-ml-1210-driver-software/

Scroll down to the Linux driver...
    It is a .tar.gz but you can right-click it in Mint and select "Extract Here"
    Just make sure you create a folder first, otherwise it might extract a bunch of files on your Desktop...
    You may have to install it with "tar" in the command line, but I'm not sure.

When I open it, there are a bunch of .sh executable like: install-printer.sh
    I'm guessing this is the one to install the driver... so there may be some trial-n-error to get this working.

upload_2020-8-27_8-9-13.png

I scanned it with WebRoot in Windows and nothing malicious resulted, so it should be safe.

upload_2020-8-27_8-10-57.png
  4. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

What a helpful Member! Thank you Booman!! I will attempt to install this driver when my nerves are less jangled.
    booman likes this.
  5. booman

Home page:
    Let us know if you can't figure it out. Old drivers can be confusing.
  6. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

Thank you for your help, Booman!

Golly gee wurlitzer, wouldn't you know it? I can't find a "run" file. Plenty of .dll's and three ".exe" files. Linux doesn't like .exe files.

Even though the file is allegedly kosher for Linux it seems to be a totally Windows file. Used to have an install the driver file on CD-ROM, but I'm fairly certain that it was a totally MS disc. Worked very well, btw.

It's always something.
  7. booman

Home page:
    I have a feeling you downloaded the Windows drivers.
    Did you scroll down to the Linux ones?
    I downloaded them and extracted them. There are .sh installers in there, so you should be able to run those with the Terminal after making them "executable".
    Let me know if you need help with that... I can create a guide! ha ha
  8. cloasters

cloasters Moderator

They were marked as MS and Linux drivers. Used a friend's PC and did the driver's license renewal thing. Turned out not to require a printer after all. Always something.

$58 I assume that's a four year renewal. Sheesh.
    Thank you very much for your assistance with this Booman! I think I'll give up the effort, it is after all probably a twelve year old printer. Thank you very much for your help!!
  9. booman

Home page:
    Of course, when is this NOT happening? ha ha
    Well if you ever need to print something in the future, it might be time to get a new printer.