1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resident Evil 2 Remake with GE Proton

Discussion in 'Games' started by Daerandin, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Daerandin

Daerandin Well-Known Member

Home page:
    As amazing as Steam's Proton is, there are some games it can't run yet. One of those games is Resident Evil 2 Remake. However, by using a modified version of Proton, I was able to run it perfectly with amazing performance.

Here's a few screenshots

20200909212013_1.jpg
    20200909211804_1.jpg
    20200909213150_1.jpg

I'm using the modified version of Proton from here: https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom

It is very easy to use. Just download the latest release, which is currently this: https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/...ownload/5.9-GE-5-ST/Proton-5.9-GE-5-ST.tar.gz

Then you need to create this directory (if it does not exist):
    ~/.steam/root/compatibilitytools.d

Extract the Proton-GE archive into this directory. If Steam is already running, then you need to restart it before it can find the new Proton version. Now just select it for any games you want to try it with.

Personally I still stick with the official Proton versions for games that it can run, but this is definitely worth checking out.
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  2. booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Very nice! I've been wanting to play the remakes, specially when I see them on a Steam sale.
    I've tried that trick to install ProtonGE but it didn't work, I think I made a mistake of extracting the "dist" folder into .steam/root/compatibilitytools.d instead of everything in the tar.gz

I'll try it again... Glorious Eggroll has some amazing features that run games made with Unreal Engine work perfectly!
    I can't wait for these features in Proton. Like faudio and Media Foundation.

Getting tired of installing them manually... ha ha

By the way, if you want to add a bit more to your description and your specs, I'll move this post to the News forum... which will post on the frontpage.