1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grim Dawn in PlayOnLinux

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Sep 18, 2020.

• by booman, Sep 18, 2020 at 6:13 PM
  • booman

booman Grand High Exalted Mystic Emperor of Linux Gaming Staff Member

Home page:
    Years ago my wife and I played through Grim Dawn (GOG version) several times. It was a lot of work setting it up to play "bug free" in DirectX 9 only. There were a bunch of workarounds to prevent missing textures, but it worked! Today Wine 5.0 handles everything perfectly with DXVK compatibility. We are playing smoothly and no more graphical artifacts. It may slow down a bit when a lot of monsters are in the screen at the same time, but that is typical of games with a lot of animation.

grimd-16.jpg

https://www.gog.com/game/grim_dawn

I recently purchased the Expansions (DLC) and we are starting over from the beginning. The game runs over LAN easily in Linux and plays smoothly with co-op.
    • Ashes of Malmouth
    • Forgotten Gods

Specs:
    Mint 19.3 64-bit
    GeForce GTX 1060 & GTX 950
    Nvidia 440.100
    PlayOnLinux 4.3.4

grimd-0.jpg grimd-1.jpg grimd-2.jpg grimd-3.jpg grimd-37.jpg grimd-36.jpg grimd-35.jpg grimd-34.jpg grimd-33.jpg grimd-32.jpg grimd-31.jpg grimd-30.jpg grimd-29.jpg grimd-28.jpg grimd-27.jpg grimd-26.jpg
    stormpower7 likes this.

Comments

Discussion in 'News' started by booman, Sep 18, 2020.

1. stormpower7
    Oh yes this is working great with DXVK. Also a nice fix while we wait for Drakensang to work again in Linux.
    booman likes this.
  2. booman
    Are you playing Grim Dawn as well?
    I can't believe how easy the GOG version is to install and run in PlayOnLinux. Works great! Of course there is a bit of slow-down when a lot of creatures are in the screen, and a few stutters when loading new areas, but for the most part, runs smoothly.
  3. batmanm0b1e
    hey booman NICE! What desktop are you running now?
    booman likes this.
  4. booman
    I'm still running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon
    I decided a few years back to stick with Mint and install it on all of my computers.
    9 computers in all.
    batmanm0b1e likes this.
  5. batmanm0b1e
    Awesome i think i may go back Cinnamon on Mint
    booman likes this.
  6. booman
    Cinnamon is awesome! Specially if you come from a Windows background. I still have Windows habits like WinKey+D to go to Desktop or WinKey+E to open a window. I love the right-click menu's to change permissions or open-with options.
  7. Lorena
    yes yes I have gog version and all dlc - now how do I install it on my computer? with that vulkan thing. Your guide is for steam and I saw that its old by now and nothing about vulkan.
    booman likes this.
  8. booman
    You can do a typical manual installation with PlayOnLinux, then setup the DXVK over-rides and copy the DXVK DLLs into the games directory.

http://gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/dxvk-guide.2540/

Here is a step-by-step for PT Remake which walks you though all the configurations except installing the game its-self
    http://gamersonlinux.com/forum/threads/p-t-remake-guide.3039/